Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Betting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

x PyRo wrote: »
    Great thread lads, very informative and some classy posters here. Keep up the good work.

Thread stickied until the season's over.

Cheers for the sticky, the club season will probably be over this time next month so we'll try to drain as much money out of it before then.:p

Was talking to my friend in louth last night and he reckons Newtown Blues should have too much for St.Martins (@2/7) and Cooley should come through against Dundalk gaels (@1/3). He's normally very good with his gaa predictions so i'm going to include them in my bet.

Im going with a Canadian bet this week just to cover myself as im using a big stake for me

(1) Curry v Geevagh @2/9
    (2) St. Martins v Newtown Blues @2/7
    (3) Dundalk Gaels v Cooley @1/3
    (4) Tourlestrane v Coolera/Strandhill @4/9
    (5) Stradbally v 1/7

Total Stake €49.92 returns €104.93

St. Marys @9/2 are a great price to beat the harps, might have a small punt on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭storykid

sound x pryo and great write up again sir vival!

2 group games on this weekend that were cancelled a while back
    Waterford SHC

1st up
    Ballygunner 1/7 v Stradbally, not much to say about this really Ballygunner will have too much all over the field, i thought they would be around 1/16 or something. Ballygunner by 8+

Abbeyside 4/7 vs Fourmilewater 6/4
    Tough game to call it could go either way i think. Both teams must win to make the quarters, the loser is as good as out with 1 group game left. Im going for a single on Fourmilewater is this though, they were knocked out of the football last week (known as The Nire in the football, and were favourites to win it) and should be fully concentrating on this, whereas Abbeyside (known as Ballinacourty in football) easily reached the semis in the football last weekend and will fancy their chances of winning that. They have no hope of winning the hurling and have been poor all year in it. If Fourmilewater are up for this i think they will win it

Was talking to a big sligo gaa man today and he reckons curry v geevagh could be a close affair (a lot closer than the odds suggest anyways). He hinted at the possibility of an upset here as he reckoned curry have flattered to deceive this year. Read into that what you will.

I, personally still think they'll win but if you want one fixture take tourlestrane @4/9. Cooley seem to be the safest bet in louth also.
    Abbeyside 4/7 vs Fourmilewater 6/4

Good post storykid, might include them in a trixie with tourlestrane and cooley as i'm looking for a team at good odds that have a 50/50 chance of winning to bump up the odds.

€10 returns €34.50. I'll leave it till sat. to decide though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Clubmad

Quick note Lads,

Anyone any view on the Hurling Final......8/11 for Kilkenny HT/FT........am i insane or is that unreal value ?

Anyways, only word I've got this week so far is from Leitrim and thats Manorhamilton, most peoples favourites to lift the cup to beat Mohill. Mohill needed a reply against a poor Bornacoola in the QF and mate reckons they have way too much all over the field to be beaten. Not a whitewash by any means but 2/3 points.......4/11 for Manor and 4/7 to win county......

Wiating on my Loais Contact to get back to me aswell...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

Clubmad wrote: »
    Quick note Lads,

Anyone any view on the Hurling Final......8/11 for Kilkenny HT/FT........am i insane or is that unreal value ?

Anyways, only word I've got this week so far is from Leitrim and thats Manorhamilton, most peoples favourites to lift the cup to beat Mohill. Mohill needed a reply against a poor Bornacoola in the QF and mate reckons they have way too much all over the field to be beaten. Not a whitewash by any means but 2/3 points.......4/11 for Manor and 4/7 to win county......

Wiating on my Loais Contact to get back to me aswell...........

Yep noticed that a few days ago, definitely going to take that price. Maybe a couple of short odds games with it to bump it up over evens in an accumulator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

http://www.clareherald.com/sports/football/2725-three-clare-senior-football-quarter-finals-down-for-decision.html
    It is quarter-final time in the Clare Senior football championship this weekend with three of the four games down for decision.

Eire Og and Cooraclare @ Lissycasey, Saturday 3 pm

A close match is expected here when Eire Og and Cooraclare go into battle on Saturday at 3 in Lissycasey. The Townies have turned their season around with an impressive championship campaign that has yielded victories over Wolfe Tones, Kilmihil and Shannon Gaels. Of course in recent weeks the return of Stephen Hickey, Brendan Manning and Dean Ryan has boosted their panel.

A good few of their panel has already tasted success at senior level with their last championship coming in 2006. The Townies have key players in the likes of Alan Malone, Stephen Hickey, Shane O’Connell, Dean Ryan, Darren O’Neill, Nicky Hogan and Eoin Glynn. Cooraclare last won a senior championship in 1997 when Joe Considine was a key figure.

Indeed this will be their first joust with the Townies at senior level since this very same stage of the 1999 senior championship when it took two games of football to separate the two sides. Cooraclare qualified as runners up in their group having defeated O’Curry’s and Kilrush but losing out to Doonbeg. They possess key men in the form of Mark Tubridy, Joe Considine, Rory Donnelly, John O’Looney, Declan McMahon, David Hedigan and Thomas Donnellan

Liscannor and St. Joseph’s Doora/Barefield @ Kilmihil, Saturday 4:30 pm

A clash of the old guard against the new kids on the block comes into being this Saturday in Kilmihil. Liscannor have been around a good few years since their rise to senior ranks in 2001. They qualified for this stage despite losing to both Kilmurry Ibrickane and St. Senan’s Kilkee. However the all-important victory came in round 1 against Joseph’s Miltown as by virtue of a better score difference the north Clare side go through at the expense of Miltown and Kilkee.

The 2008 county finalists have vastly experienced players in the form of Niall, Johnny and Brian Considine, Ronan Slattery, Dara Blake, Alan Clohessy and Noel Kilmartin. Their opponents contain a nice blend of youth and experience with the older brigade starting to mix well with the 2008 U21 A winners. Their path to this stage has been impressive with victories of a good Cratloe side and Lissycasey with a draw in round 2 against Ennistymon.

The experience of the James Hanrahan managed side is provided by the likes of former Kerry net minder Declan O’Keeffe, Cathal O’Sullivan, Colm Mullen and Kevin Dilleen while the youth is there in the form of Niall White and, Greg and Enda Lyons. This game could go either way with little between the teams. However if St. Joseph’s can play to what they are capable of then they might come through.

Verdict: St. Joseph’s Doora/Barefield

Doonbeg v Shannon Gaels @ Kilmihil, Saturday 6 pm

This game is possibly the game of the weekend with the O’Gorman cup winners taking on the Cusack Cup runners up. Doonbeg are seen as the team to challenge Kilmurry Ibrickane this year and having gone so close last year they will hope to go one better this year. Their path to this stage has been impressive with victories over O’Curry’s, Cooraclare and Kilrush.

Success has already been achieved for them this year with the acquisition of the O’Gorman cup but they have their eyes firmly set on capturing the Jack Daly cup for the first time since 2001.

In David Tubridy they have the counties best forward, other important players include Padraig Gallagher, Enda Doyle, Conor Whelan, captain Colm Dillon, Frank O’Dea and Shane Ryan. Shannon Gaels have also impressed this year in both the league and championship. They contested the league final where they narrowly lost out to St. Joseph’s Miltown. In the championship they recorded victories over Kilmihil and Wolfe Tones before losing out to Eire Og in the top of the t ble clash. Former Armagh forward Barry Toner has proven to be an excellent addition this year, add in the likes of Noel Kennedy, John Paul O’Neill, Brian Bermingham, Keith Ryan, Bryan Cunningham and David Neylon, and you have a formidable side.

It has all the ingredients of a good game with Doonbeg carrying the favourites tag. They should justify that favouritism and record a similar victory to that of round 8 of the league (1-10 to 0-10) when these two sides last clashed.

Verdict: Doonbeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

Offaly county hurling championship:

Once again mr.power has underpriced tullamore who are simply living off last years shock win of the county title. They have been very disapointing in the championship this year and brosna gaels are a massive price to beat them even though the game is on in tullamore. Clareen beat tullamore by 16 pts in the last round and brosna geals beat clareen by 5pts earlier in the championship. The main reason brosna gaels lost there last game againts st rynaghs was because they conceded 5 first half goals and still only lost by 2 pts and having a 21yard free saved in the dying minutes of that game. In tullamores last game they conceded 2-27 and joe bergin alone scored 15pts. At 15/8 that price is just way too big to ignore!

In the other games kinnity should beat belmont who rely too heavily on county player david kenny whereas kinnity have a good spread of county players and older experienced players

St rynaghs v lusmagh is a game to avoid, its a local derby, (only 2 miles apart) maybe a few quid on the draw would be worth a bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cheater

Ballygunner v Stradbally - Can't see anything other than a Ballygunner win here, Stradbally will contest a relegation play-off game against Ballyduff Lower if they lose here (which I fancy them to win if it comes to it). Ballygunner are coming off the back of an u21 title and with a number of these players set to feature again I can't see them being beaten, they are as good as through to the quarter finals already and even if they played a weakened team (which is unlikely as very few of their team are playing anything but hurling), they will have enough to see off Stradbally. They have already picked up an u21 title as already stated, not quite sure about their minors but they have to be serious contenders to win back to back senior,u21 and minor trebles.

Abbeyside v Fourmilewater - Abbeyside are a tentative selection here for me. I'm making this a very close game, so would not discourage anyone from including Fourmilewater in an accumulator for a bit of value and to bump up the price, but Abbeyside have been knocking around the knockout stages since they regained their senior status 6/7 years ago. Fell just short in numerous tight knockout games, beaten by a last minute goal by Ballyduff Upper (who went on to win it) in 2007, beaten finalists in 2008 by De La Salle and beaten by eventual county runners-up Lismore in 2009 at the quarter final stages, admittedly they haven't played well all year and a lot of punters have probably gotten their fingers burned by them but with the majority of their football panel making up the hurling team I fancy them to just shade it. Abbeyside by 2/3 points

Clubmad wrote: »
    ?

Wouldn't go near manor at that price. They haven't been playing well in the championship and mohill have a very tight defense. It's going to be a close game (which manor would usually come out on top of by a point or so but i wouldn't bet on it)

Will have a punt on Brosna gaels, good preview dotsflan

Tourlestrane are shortening, @4/11 now i'd say they wont be far of 1/3 or even 2/7 come sunday.

Looks like a he'll of a lot of close games this weekend across the country even with short odds teams.....finally decoded only accy...9 teams:

in Sligo have Curry, Tourlastrane and st johns
    In longford have the slashers
    In Louth have Cooley and newtown blues
    In Offaly have kinnity
    in Leitrim have Manorhamilton
    And finally in Laois went for St Joes

anyone with results through the weekend throw them up...

Looking for money back on a single of Kilkenny half time full time, in 4/5 now from 5/6....go on the cats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

Clubmad - just out of curiosity why didnt you throw ballygunner into that accumulator? Absolute certainty if ever there was one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

Cork Evening Echo Senior Hurling Championship, today

Both games are replays, for some reason there are no ones on PP for cork games, these are Cashman odds.

2/1 Erins Own vs Newtownshandrum 4/9 Draw 10
    Erins Own are a good price for a game that is a toss up.

4/5 Glen Rovers vs St Finbarrs 6/5 draw 9
    This game is a toss up too but would be leaning towards the glen.

The reason for Ballygunner is simple, bloody forgot about them, ha, no inside info or anything :)

as for PP and the cork hurling, there's prices are on the I phone app, didn't check there website but if u call them they would have them up for u in under an hour as they have prices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

tullamore beat brosna gaels:( 1-14 to 1-9. brosna gaels led by a pt at half time and were leading until tullamore got a goal, there was a point between them after 23 minutes but then tullamore pulled away.

also a big shock with belmont beating kinnity! not a good weekend betting wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

glanman wrote: »
    Cork Evening Echo Senior Hurling Championship, today

2/1 Erins Own vs Newtownshandrum 4/9 Draw 10
    Erins Own are a good price for a game that is a toss up.

erins own won by about 7 points,,,crazy price indeed,
    never saw so couldnt exploit...
    nice call if backed..

Curry 0-10 Geevagh 1-12.

Can't believe it, absolutely sick...

EDIT: Cooley 1-12 Dundalk Gaels 1-5

St. Martins 0-7 Newtown Blues 0-15

Eastern harps 0-17 St. Marys 1-12

Ballymote Round Towers 1-13 St. Johns 1-12

Glencar/Manor 0-11 Mohill 0-7

Annaduff 0-5 St. Marys 0-12

not the best weekend few shock reults
    Stradbally 0-8 Ballygunner 3-15, i should have put the house on them!
    Fourmilewater beat Abbeyside by 3 points
    onto tommoro now cant wait for the all ireland, like the look of tommy walsh to be booked at 2/1, looks like alot of the club matches tommoro are hard to call, like the look of Tourlestrane, that Longford Slashers match looks like it might be close from the preview i was reading on the longford gaa website aswell

Tourlestrane 2-12 Coolera/Strandhill 1-10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Sir Vival,where do you get odds on the local GAA for Sligo?

greetings wrote: »
    Sir Vival,where do you get odds on the local GAA for Sligo?

PP, they do all the club games in every county. Usually have prices up thursday at the latest for the weekend's games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

funnyname wrote: »

CLARE
    SFC quarter-finals:

St Joseph’s 1-6 Liscannor 0-9;
    Doonbeg 0-7 Shannon Gaels 0-6;
    Eire Og 1-10 Cooraclare 1-10;

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/gaa-results-130003.html#ixzz0yjmjkNpL

No Dublin gaa men...? (or women)

Seems to be a few games on tonight, like the look of Raheny @4/7. Will do a little more digging into it.

Last round of group games in the Waterdord SHC this weekend

Lismore 1/16 vs Ballyduff Lower and Ballyduff Upper 1/16 vs Stradbally, no chance of upsets here.

Ballygunner 1/3 vs Abbeyside
    Strongly expect Ballygunner to win this game. As i said before Abbeysdie have been poor all year and have really underpreformed, losing last week to Fourmilewater aswell. I feel they will be concentrating on the semi final of the football and wont have much motivation for this.They are safe from relegation and if they really wanted to give the hurling a lash this year they should have beatin Fourmilewater. Ballygunner have already qualified for the quarters but i still expect them not to ease up in this one, 2 weeks ago they gave a fancied De La Salle team a 15 point hammering and if they play anywhere near that the weekend they should have far too much

Mount Sion 2/7 vs Dungarvan
    Mt Sion let alot of us down a few weeks back but i cant see them losing this game, They need to win to be sure of qualification. I was up watching the Lismore v Tallow match 2 weeks ago with Dungarvan v Ballyduff Lower on before it, and i wasnt impressed with Dungarvan atall really. i thought some of their play was poor enough, still a very young team though. They are safe from relegation this year which was their main aim. Mt sion on paper are alot stronger than Dungarvan and they should win this, provided they play like they can.

Tallow 7/5 vs Passage 8/13
    This will be a close game but i have feeling Tallow might sneak it. Too hard to call though. i must find out if there is any injuries on either side before id put money on it

De La Salle 3/10 vs Foumilewater 13/5
    De La Salle were poor against Ballygunner 2 weeks ago but on form should have too much here. I think they are too short though and Fourmile are capable of beating them no doubt, and will be confident after beating Abbeyside last week.

Away in college for the week so havent heard anyting about injuries etc yet, hopefully a good weekend ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭dougal-maguire

dont have time to do a decent write-up,but maybe put a small bit on mullahoran at 3/1 against cavan gaels.gaels playing very bad at the minute and have a few injuries.mullahoran playing alright and will really step it up for the gaels. small single going on this one.

dont even know the odds for the other game,but id put money on kingscourt if they're anything better than 1/3 id stick them in a smaller accy.kingscourt top of the league,ramor only round middle,seen both teams in the last round and kingscourt were overall the better team.

Will get my previews of roscommon and sligo games tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest. I have a good feeling about this weekend.

Tourlestrane v Ballymote Round Towers @2/5 (Saturday 11th sept.)

I've written pieces about these teams before so i'm not going to repeat myself. Both teams came through the group stages easily but tour were far more impressive in a much harder group. They've been putting up big scores in their games (2-12 in the Q/final) and look a very hungry outfit. They'll also be delighted that Curry have been knocked out as they will likely play Eastern harps in the final (if they beat ballymote) and if harps beat geevagh. All the class players are on tourlestranes side, they're also very experienced as a lot of them would have at least 1 county championship medal. Ballymote are hard-working and very fit but when push comes to shove i reckon tour come steam-roll them.

Complacency is the only thing that will beat tourlestrane

Verdict: Tourlestrane by 3/4pts

Castlerea v Elphin @3/1 (sunday 12th september)

I'm absolutely amazed at this price for elphin to win this semi-final. PP are reading way too much into castlerea being champions for the past 2 years. They've scraped through all of their games by a couple of pts looking impressive in none of them including a replay against kilmore who were 5/1 outsiders for the game. They also survived div.1 league relegation last week by getting a draw against a team who are in senior championship relegation. They're gameplay relies totally on winning frees, slowing down the play through excessive injuries and swamping midfield. Castlerea have also lost a county player for this weeks match due to suspension, even though the particular player wasn't playing very well it will still have an negative impact on castlerea who are very limited around midfield.

Elphin have been in 3rd gear all championship but i feel they're going to step it up this week. It's their first semi-final in 5 years so hunger and desire wont be a problem. They've got strength in each of their lines including 3 county players as well as youth down the wings. They're also flying home elphin native conor beirne who was captain of london's gaa team this year. Although losing to strokestown in the league last week, they were up by 7pts at half time and one cant help but feel that they had one eye on this game so took a few players off and took their foot off the pedal too much. Signs of a big performance were their though.

It's going to be a tight game (no team will win it by more than 3pts) but i feel castlrea cant keep coming out on top of these tight games. @3/1 elphin are worth a tenner of anyones money.

Verdict: Elphin by 1/2 pts

In the other game in ros, brigids should have too much for faithleachas but @1/3 i probably wont go near them. Harps should also have too much for geevagh but again @1/3 i will stay away as geevagh burnt me badly last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gaatipstr

Offaly SFC Quater-Final

Tullamore v Walsh Island

Tullamore 8/13
    Draw 7/1
    Walsh Island 13/8

This should be a tight enough game, Tullamore have been poor enough this year. There main scorer has been county hurler Shane Dooley. They havent many quality forwards other than him. Walsh Island came up from Intermediate but are holding there own this year only been beaten by Rhode in the group stage. Walsh Island will be boosted by the inclusion of county man Brian Connor after his red card in the last game was recinded during the week. D'Island have better quality forwards and in the wide spaces of O'Connor Park, they can do damage if the right ball is given in. I would of made Walsh Island favourites in this game as Tullamore have been poor and are only favourites due to the fact that there a town team.
    Verdict: Walsh Island by 2-3points

Was talking to a Kerry lad yeasturday and he reckons Dr Crokes and South Kerry should come through their matches. Crokes are meant to be in some form, hammered Kenmare last week.South Kerry with lads like declan o sullivan and brian sheehan up front have plenty firepower.The other 2 matches are very close to call he said. He'd know a good bit so i hope hes right
    If anyones bored ya can watch the Crokes West Kerry match live stream at half 6 on the Dr Crokes website http://drcrokes.com/live.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Kevin11

South kerry are 1/5
    Dr Crokes 4/7

Agree with Sir Vival about Elphin, 3/1 is too big in what should be a low scoring dour game given all the rain the past week.
    The loss of Brian Higgins is huge though for Elphin. Still they are worth a punt

• Advertisement

storykid wrote: »
    Was talking to a Kerry lad yeasturday and he reckons Dr Crokes and South Kerry should come through their matches. Crokes are meant to be in some form, hammered Kenmare last week.South Kerry with lads like declan o sullivan and brian sheehan up front have plenty firepower.The other 2 matches are very close to call he said. He'd know a good bit so i hope hes right
    If anyones bored ya can watch the Crokes West Kerry match live stream at half 6 on the Dr Crokes website http://drcrokes.com/live.htm

Great, cooper is always worth a look.

Elphin have drifted to 5/2 7/2, i really cant believe it. For what's going to be such a close game, that price is astonishing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement