Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Betting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bookie Bashing

Fermanagh v Cavan - Cavan are the up and coming team and Fermanagh have the more experienced outfit who will win? It's a tough call that's why i think with home advantage Fermanagh are too big @ 6/4. Fermanagh would have accounted for Armagh if they had set up they way did against Cavan. Don't be under any illusions about Fermanagh they are in my humble opinion the best organised side outside of Division 1. They have a couple of class players too Shane McCabe is KEY he is the link man to the scoring forwards. Cavan are a good side, but at this stage they are no better than Fermanagh and the Armagh result needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. If the Fermanagh forwards fire it will be a big performance from cavan to get of Brewster with a result. Bets advised Fermanagh 6/4 & Shane McCabe Man of the Match (no odds yet) but anything 16/1 or bigger.

Mayo v Roscommon - On the face of things Div 1 & Div 3 are on different continents looking at performances in the early rounds. However i like the look of the Roscommon side and i think the fact that the Shines and Ian Kilbride miss out might actually help Roscommon focus more on the job at hand. Donie is obviously a big miss but they have been replaced by workers and Evans is setting the team up stop Mayo's half back line and midfield. If successful it could be another low scoring dogfight in the connacht championship. Don't get me wrong i don't think Roscommon are a great bet @ 5/1 but this is a difficult game for Mayo as the Rossies know them so well. Galway didn;t have a clue how to play Mayo and i don't think the management and current players of Galway have the know how they are soft as emphasised in their league performances. Roscommon are far from soft. No bet recommended

Dublin v Wexford - Dublin were 1/3 in Wexford park they opened up 2/5 in the betting at home in Parnell. Last week everything was in Wexford's favour home advantage big home crowd Ryan O'Dwyer off the field every 5 minutes to get blood removed from his face. Conal Keaney Liam Rushe McCormack everyone being played out of position and the fact that only the class act that is sutcliffe performed on the day for Dublin's forwards you had have to say the price in Wexford park was correct and Liam Dunne's men missed their opportunity. By the way i think Wexford have improvement in them but not as much as the Dubs get on the -3pts 4/5 Ladbrokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Wicklow v Meath - Meath should be a lay in this game given their recent form. But the bookies have over egged aughrim and meath's form the 4/9 that was available with Boyles was far too big at the time. Meath will go off around the 2/7 mark for this game and that looks spot on. I'm interested in the Hcap market here -3pts 10/11 with boyles looks tasty = 3 Reasons. 1 Kevin Reilly on Seanie Furlong, Kevin has no pace but he is brilliant under the high ball and that is Seanie's big strength and it's very hard to see Furlong getting much change here. 2 Wicklow fastest back is hyland and he is slower than Damien Carroll never mind the full forward line that meath have they. 3 Wicklows preparations a number of the squad have been on and off the panel there were rumours of less than 15 at training during the league. Look at the highlights of the Longford game Wicklow were out on their feet and lucky to hold on Meath will demolish them if they get on top early as wicklow's fitness isn't of the same standard overall as other county sides

Agree Wicklow have gone back a lot this year and think there's more to Meath than the couple of bad losses in the league would suggest. They showed signs of getting themselves together a bit in the second half of the campaign.

Think -3 at 5/6 is a bit on the skinny side though and will probably end up leaving it.
    Fermanagh v Cavan - Cavan are the up and coming team and Fermanagh have the more experienced outfit who will win? It's a tough call that's why i think with home advantage Fermanagh are too big @ 6/4. Fermanagh would have accounted for Armagh if they had set up they way did against Cavan. Don't be under any illusions about Fermanagh they are in my humble opinion the best organised side outside of Division 1. They have a couple of class players too Shane McCabe is KEY he is the link man to the scoring forwards. Cavan are a good side, but at this stage they are no better than Fermanagh and the Armagh result needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. If the Fermanagh forwards fire it will be a big performance from cavan to get of Brewster with a result. Bets advised Fermanagh 6/4 & Shane McCabe Man of the Match (no odds yet) but anything 16/1 or bigger.

Agree 100%, Cavan - Armagh game caused the biggest overreaction of the year so far from bookies and fans alike. Cavan and Fermanagh are operating on very similar levels, 6/4 about the home side is outrageously big, and they were 7/4 a couple of weeks ago.
    Dublin v Wexford - Dublin were 1/3 in Wexford park they opened up 2/5 in the betting at home in Parnell. Last week everything was in Wexford's favour home advantage big home crowd Ryan O'Dwyer off the field every 5 minutes to get blood removed from his face. Conal Keaney Liam Rushe McCormack everyone being played out of position and the fact that only the class act that is sutcliffe performed on the day for Dublin's forwards you had have to say the price in Wexford park was correct and Liam Dunne's men missed their opportunity. By the way i think Wexford have improvement in them but not as much as the Dubs get on the -3pts 4/5 Ladbrokes

Again, +1 on this. How can a team go from 1/3 away to 2/5 at home off the back of a single performance? It's ridiculous. Easiest bet in the world to support Dublin here.

Great tipping IMO.

Meath in the handicap is the worst of 3 thanks for the response

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Nice tipping indeed Bookie Basher.

I went with Wexford last week on the cap but have to avoid this week, athough +4 @ evs is a bit tempting.

For me the bet of the weekend is +3.5 total goals in Laois v Galway with more on +4.5. Galway are often a bit loose at the back anyway, but seem to regularly let in goals in these walkover type games and are obviously well able to goal themselves too

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Backed Dublin in the hurling along with Mayo, Cork and Meath in the football on Betvictor at accumulator price 6/5. It was in the middle of the night henc the only reason I can justify adding Cork at 1/33.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

KevIRL wrote: »
    Nice tipping indeed Bookie Basher.

I went with Wexford last week on the cap but have to avoid this week, athough +4 @ evs is a bit tempting.

For me the bet of the weekend is +3.5 total goals in Laois v Galway with more on +4.5. Galway are often a bit loose at the back anyway, but seem to regularly let in goals in these walkover type games and are obviously well able to goal themselves too

Can't see that you could back the plus on Wexford this weekend, the -3 @ 4/5 on Ladbrokes is covered simply by the change in venue!

keane2097 wrote: »
    Can't see that you could back the plus on Wexford this weekend, the -3 @ 4/5 on Ladbrokes is covered simply by the change in venue!

Mayo v Roscommon - going through everything and the likely plan from the rossies in particular to foul most likely in 40 - 65 area and hope in the absence of o Connor mayo won't capitalise the no Goalscorer price is absolutely massive here at 11/2. Neither team have been firing in goals in the league and I don't see what changes and with regards to the Galway game, irrelevant in my opinion Gal tactically inept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mayo v Roscommon - going through everything and the likely plan from the rossies in particular to foul most likely in 40 - 65 area and hope in the absence of o Connor mayo won't capitalise the no Goalscorer price is absolutely massive here at 11/2. Neither team have been firing in goals in the league and I don't see what changes and with regards to the Galway game, irrelevant in my opinion Gal tactically inept.

Mayo did score 3 against Galway.

I'm not seeing where the love for Roscommon is coming from, they didn't get promoted in a league with Cavan, Fermanagh, Monaghan and Meath, tight league but that's about their level.

Fermanagh at 6/4 looks a decent punt, not that much between them in Division 3 and home advantage might swing it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Mayo did score 3 against Galway.

I'm not seeing where the love for Roscommon is coming from, they didn't get promoted in a league with Cavan, Fermanagh, Monaghan and Meath, tight league but that's about their level.

Fermanagh at 6/4 looks a decent punt, not that much between them in Division 3 and home advantage might swing it.

Rossies league form has to considered relatively good they beat mon and Cavan to close out the league. Remember they have struggled with injury Mannion & Senan are massive players also along with Cregg they missed most of the league. Cillian O Connor is massive loss for Mayo. Galway showed up expecting to beat mayo playing 1 on 1? Galway need to take a reality check. They are miles off the pace and need to adapt a style of play that will stop other teams when they realise that they can compete in those games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Right, I was greedy last week and went for Wexford to win rather than on the handicap. I feel I was unlucky at the same time but lesson learnt (I hope). Wrong on Kilkenny too, but it just shows that hurling is a funny old game. A couple of events go your way and it alters the result dramatically. Who really could haven seen Offaly scoring 4 goals more than Kilkenny, and Kilkenny not even scoring a goal?

This weekend, I really do feel Laois could beat the 13 point head start they're being given. Compared to their previous meeting, it would actually appear quite small but there's plenty of factors in their favour.

First of all, we'll start from the start and that's the preparation of the team. This is not the Laois setup we've come to expect, with the yearly complaints about low numbers at training and things like bad quality or lack of sliotars present.

They've taken a very professional approach to matters this year and it's paid dividends thus far. Training six days a week in the off season, things like being tested on speed and power by NADA (National Athlete Devlopment Academy) and their best players committing to the cause. Ger Cunningham, coach of UL and helping out with Waterford this year (coach off Thurles Sars in 2010, and Newtownshandrum when they won the all-ireland in 2004) has been with them since January. The mood is positive in the camp, which is not something I've ever heard people say of a Laois hurling camp.

They won the League comfortably in the end, and they've beaten Antrim and Carlow thus far. When did Laois last win to championshop games in a season? Regardless of the opposition, this winning mentality will stand them in good stead and they will be raring to have a craic at Galway.

Worth remembering that Galway have had a few less than perfect encounters with minnows. Westmeath in particular have given them enough of it on a few occasions for long periods of games.

I believe that Galway won't be 100% focused, or fully sharp in Portlaoise tomorrow, all the teams I have so far in the championship out for the first time have looked rusty. Pauric Joyce spoke of how one of his friends on the panel said they were training with September in mind on championship matters. Always a dangerous thing. Laois are very much so focused on Sunday, and Semus Plunkett has them right on track.

Being involved in a setup for the first time that is comparable to thos that the top County teams have, that a Liam McCarthy team should have is making a world of difference to Laois hurling which has plenty of talented players, believe it or not. They also have home advantage tomorrow.

I really do hope Laois give it everything they have and make a compelling game of it tomorrow, for hurling first and foremost. I'm taking Laois 13+ at evens on PP, Ladbrokes, Boyles and Coral.

Best priced at 21/20 or 2.05 on Bet 365.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I tend to agree Mayo' chances in creating goals will be down dramatically due to the absence of COC. He was involved in creating ALL of them against Galway and I've seen enough of this Mayo team during the league campaign that (for all his good contributions) a lack of creativeness from Richie Feeney at 11 should bring down the goal chances somewhat. Hope I'm proved wrong:pac: but I've gone for a Mayo win and no goals in the match @ 7/1 but might throw few quid on your tip as that looks great value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭magherakid

Single
    Dublin -4 11/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

magherakid wrote: »
    Single
    Dublin -4 11/10

Dubs up by 4 and Wexford down to 14 ( Shore sent off ) will certainly help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Radonman

Looking foward to tomorrow's matches regarding the goals market
    Great price for Cork over 1.5 goals @ 11/10 - Cork nearly always put away weak opposition with no mercy and I honestly don't believe that the team named is the team that will line out , easy victory for Cork here and I fully expect them to score at least 2 and ill also have a smaller stake of over 2.5 @ 3's
    As highlighted before goals are the order of the day in the Galway v Laois game, C Cooney @ 13/8 anytime goal scorer looks good to me- he was a constant goal threat last year and now that's he's a year older hopefully he will deliver. Over 3.5 and over 4.5 goals are options here that I'll take @ 4/6 & 11/8.
    Double if Cork over 1.5 and Galway/Laois over 3.5

Radonman wrote: »
    Great price for Cork over 1.5 goals @ 11/10 - Cork nearly always put away weak opposition with no mercy and I honestly don't believe that the team named is the team that will line out , easy victory for Cork here and I fully expect them to score at least 2 and ill also have a smaller stake of over 2.5 @ 3's

Nice spot, definitely going on that!

As highlighted before goals are the order of the day in the Galway v Laois game, C Cooney @ 13/8 anytime goal scorer looks good to me- he was a constant goal threat last year and now that's he's a year older hopefully he will deliver. Over 3.5 and over 4.5 goals are options here that I'll take @ 4/6 & 11/8.
    Double if Cork over 1.5 and Galway/Laois over 3.5

A word of warning for you I wouldn't be surprised if cooney and d Burke swap positions Burke is a much bigger goal threat for Galway I know it's vice versa at st Thomas

A word of warning for you I wouldn't be surprised if cooney and d Burke swap positions Burke is a much bigger goal threat for Galway I know it's vice versa at st Thomas

Totally agree with you there BB, but I liked what i saw of him last year he seems to get in a lot of goal scoring positions plus the way Galway rotated their fowards (ala Kilkenny) last year its a real gamble either way, remember how Canning ended up in midfield a few times:confused: - Word of note i found much better value on him to score - C Cooney to score anytime and Galway to win 17/10 with P/P, that is now my bet. I'm also going to take Mayo on the Handicap (-5) @ evens with P/P, Mayo are all ireland contenders where as Roscommom are well not, most see this as a close game and I agree (Evans will have Roscommon flying) but I think Mayo may just shade the Handicap here.
    Interesting bet here i spotted in the Mayo game - A red card in the game is 11/8 but a red for Mayo is 5/1 and Roscommon is 4/1:eek: gonna have a small bet on a Red for Roscommon @ 5/1:pac:

Sorry for clogging up the Thread but it's pissing rain down here in Kerry at the minute so i presume its the same in Clare which can't be good for the goal betting in the Clare Cork game:( - hope i'm wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Sorry for clogging up the Thread but it's pissing rain down here in Kerry at the minute so i presume its the same in Clare which can't be good for the goal betting in the Clare Cork game:( - hope i'm wrong though

You'd never know - it might help it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭MikeyGorse

Ya it's raining here in Ennis :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Right, I was greedy last week and went for Wexford to win rather than on the handicap. I feel I was unlucky at the same time but lesson learnt (I hope). Wrong on Kilkenny too, but it just shows that hurling is a funny old game. A couple of events go your way and it alters the result dramatically. Who really could haven seen Offaly scoring 4 goals more than Kilkenny, and Kilkenny not even scoring a goal?

This weekend, I really do feel Laois could beat the 13 point head start they're being given. Compared to their previous meeting, it would actually appear quite small but there's plenty of factors in their favour.

First of all, we'll start from the start and that's the preparation of the team. This is not the Laois setup we've come to expect, with the yearly complaints about low numbers at training and things like bad quality or lack of sliotars present.

They've taken a very professional approach to matters this year and it's paid dividends thus far. Training six days a week in the off season, things like being tested on speed and power by NADA (National Athlete Devlopment Academy) and their best players committing to the cause. Ger Cunningham, coach of UL and helping out with Waterford this year (coach off Thurles Sars in 2010, and Newtownshandrum when they won the all-ireland in 2004) has been with them since January. The mood is positive in the camp, which is not something I've ever heard people say of a Laois hurling camp.

They won the League comfortably in the end, and they've beaten Antrim and Carlow thus far. When did Laois last win to championshop games in a season? Regardless of the opposition, this winning mentality will stand them in good stead and they will be raring to have a craic at Galway.

Worth remembering that Galway have had a few less than perfect encounters with minnows. Westmeath in particular have given them enough of it on a few occasions for long periods of games.

I believe that Galway won't be 100% focused, or fully sharp in Portlaoise tomorrow, all the teams I have so far in the championship out for the first time have looked rusty. Pauric Joyce spoke of how one of his friends on the panel said they were training with September in mind on championship matters. Always a dangerous thing. Laois are very much so focused on Sunday, and Semus Plunkett has them right on track.

Being involved in a setup for the first time that is comparable to thos that the top County teams have, that a Liam McCarthy team should have is making a world of difference to Laois hurling which has plenty of talented players, believe it or not. They also have home advantage tomorrow.

I really do hope Laois give it everything they have and make a compelling game of it tomorrow, for hurling first and foremost. I'm taking Laois 13+ at evens on PP, Ladbrokes, Boyles and Coral.

Best priced at 21/20 or 2.05 on Bet 365.

Looking like a fantastic shout so far MountainLad. Laois ahead by a point 0-8 to 0-7 at HT

Cork won 1-20 v 1-11....no second goal unfortunately.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Looking like a fantastic shout so far MountainLad. Laois ahead by a point 0-8 to 0-7 at HT

Winner in the end 2-17 to 01-14. Glad to see it come off, fairplay to Laois. Pity there was as much as 0-7 in it though, they deserved better.

Also depressed about the Cork footballers. For the record, they always seem to screw me out of it :(

Fowler87 wrote: »
    I tend to agree Mayo' chances in creating goals will be down dramatically due to the absence of COC. He was involved in creating ALL of them against Galway and I've seen enough of this Mayo team during the league campaign that (for all his good contributions) a lack of creativeness from Richie Feeney at 11 should bring down the goal chances somewhat. Hope I'm proved wrong:pac: but I've gone for a Mayo win and no goals in the match @ 7/1 but might throw few quid on your tip as that looks great value too.

Well in !!

Not sure how Feeney didn't score near the end though - super save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Well in !!

Not sure how Feeney didn't score near the end though - super save.

Haha I had a word from the stand :pac: Couldn't believe Mayo didn't score a goal, were terrible finishing last 3rd of the game. But they did well overall after shaky start

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Cork won 1-20 v 1-11....no second goal unfortunately.

yup, disgusted with that I'm sure the weather had a big effect on it as it was teaming down for the whole game, overall a bad day but Mayo covering the handicap and a few in running bets on the same game made the day bearable, great tipping elsewhere, well done lads

Ok Well a round up of the weekend's action -

1/2 No Red Card Winner (Laois v Galway) = Winner

Over 2.5 Galway Goals 1/1 or bigger = No Bet 8/11 was best i saw and it was a loser this is the best thing when you believe in only backing something when the price is right

Meath -3pts 10/11 = Winner

Fermanagh 6/4 = Loser (Still think it was a good bet though)

Shane McCabe 16/1 = Loser but i couldn't resist Eugene Keating at 16's with Boyles and when i was backing McCabe (Thought he would be 9/1) so hopeful more than expecting come on McStay be nice!

Dublin -3pts 4/5 Ladbrokes = Winner

Mayo v Roscommon No Goalscorer @ 11/2 Boyles = Winner

Happy days talk to you guys next week with a run down on my thoughts for the championship games.

Also for the ante post punters among you Boyles had a tasty 26/1 up about Richie Hogan becoming Hurler of the year KK were not in action at the weekend and the price was still there after i backed so if it's back up tomorrow get stuck in.

I'd work out his price like so KK's price to win McCarthy Cup & Multiply it by his chance of getting it out of the tipp players it's very unlikely that a player on the losing side will get in the hurling this year. I make him no bigger than 7/2 if KK win it which works out at less than 10's obviously this is my opinion and the 7/2 is on the short side but he is the only KK forward guaranteed a starting place in my opinion so that's why i'm not any bigger Richie Power is the other certain starter. I reckon Larkin loses his place when Henry is back and i think HS has no chance having missed most of the year. TJ Fennelly Taggy all to be in and out of the team. Midfield will have a good chance and BH TW in the half back along with Murphy in the backs i don't think anyone else can win it for KK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Cork over 1.5 goals with Galway over 2.5 goals.
    C Cooney to score anytime.
    C Cooney to score anytime and Galway to win.

Only Justin Rose can save me now. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement