Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Betting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

My bet for the weekend is Monaghan ladies -2 on Sat is 10/11 pp. Price wont last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭elhorse

davedfc wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong lads doohamlets no world beaters probably wont go any further in the championship but I think they'll beat carrick. Also whoever loses is out of the championship last chance saloon for both clubs.

Is walshe fit to play? I don't think I'd back doohamlet if he's still out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

My bet for the weekend is Monaghan ladies -2 on Sat is 10/11 pp. Price wont last.

Seriously good price - cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Pajo the calf has predicted Kerry for this weekend, lump on at 9/4! :pac:

That price on Monaghan ladies looks fantastic, from looking at the year so far there's no reason to believe they won't cover that easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭davedfc

elhorse wrote: »
    Is walshe fit to play? I don't think I'd back doohamlet if he's still out

Walshe came on as a sub last week in a league match. That was his first game since the ulster final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I was €340 up on the championship, but lost 3 on Mayo so back to €40 :mad:

Will back Monaghan -2, €40.(know absolutely f*ck all about it tho!)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Rightwing wrote: »
    I was €340 up on the championship, but lost 3 on Mayo so back to €40 :mad:

Will back Monaghan -2, €40.(know absolutely f*ck all about it tho!)

Good gambling. Follow a loss up with a big bet on something you don't know anything about. Im surprised you aren't rolling in it!!

srfc19 wrote: »
    Good gambling. Follow a loss up with a big bet on something you don't know anything about. Im surprised you aren't rolling in it!!

€40 a big bet ? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not that big a bet - considering his last one was 300 - and a tip is a tip! Monaghan -2 is a good tip - I've 70 on it. I put a tenner on a Baseball game based on a tip, I know nothing about Baseball by the way - it won;)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Yup. €40 is a big bet for most people. You can go around saying you're putting 300 on this best and 200 on this, but most people aren't betting them sums (Fairly certain you aren't either, but thats another discussion)

Its also a big bet considering its 100% of the profit you've made on betting on GAA this summer.

• Advertisement

Yup. €40 is a big bet for most people. You can go around saying you're putting 300 on this best and 200 on this, but most people aren't betting them sums (Fairly certain you aren't either, but thats another discussion)

Its also a big bet considering its 100% of the profit you've made on betting on GAA this summer.

What stakes do you use,,10 cents? :rolleyes:

If I lose it, that's it... I'm finished my betting for the GAA season. If I win, I'll keep betting until season is over. Any profit I will give to charity.

Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Nobody should be posting stake sizes on here, as generally nobody gives a fcuk and it doesnt matter at all. Some of the smartest gamblers around are the small punters such as broke college students, or people with a full range of accounts which havent been noticed and restricted (because they bet small). It's all about the selections and reasoning behind them. Use a 'pt' system to convey confidence if you must

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Use a 'pt' system to convey confidence if you must

Its really the only thing that makes any sense as has been pointed out €20 to one man is a very big bet but to another is a throw away bet they would put on without another thought.

My two main interests in gambling are GAA and Golf, in golf I stake 10 pts per tournament and each 10pts equates to 4% of my bankroll.

In GAA I usually rate my bets from a 1-5pt scale depending on confidence etc. Each point is usually 2% of my bankroll, but a 5pt bet would be very unusual tbh.

The main National Hunt racing festivals are my only real other area and tbh Im not as discilplined here and usually just have a set amount for the few days and wing it!

Staying within your pt system and keeping detailed records really is the only way to gamble, otherwise you may as well be burning your money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Its really the only thing that makes any sense as has been pointed out €20 to one man is a very big bet but to another is a throw away bet they would put on without another thought.

My two main interests in gambling are GAA and Golf, in golf I stake 10 pts per tournament and each 10pts equates to 4% of my bankroll.

In GAA I usually rate my bets from a 1-5pt scale depending on confidence etc. Each point is usually 2% of my bankroll, but a 5pt bet would be very unusual tbh.

The main National Hunt racing festivals are my only real other area and tbh Im not as discilplined here and usually just have a set amount for the few days and wing it!

Staying within your pt system and keeping detailed records really is the only way to gamble, otherwise you may as well be burning your money!

I would have thought golf punting would be much higher variance than handicapping GAA, any particular reason you go with a larger % of your bankroll on each golf tournament? If you happen to crush at golf that explains it of course!

keane2097 wrote: »
    I would have thought golf punting would be much higher variance than handicapping GAA, any particular reason you go with a larger % of your bankroll on each golf tournament? If you happen to crush at golf that explains it of course!

Much more opportunity to trade in running golf and my ten points would usually be spread over 4-6 players, currently running at 42% ROI for 2013 and have had similar returns for '11 and '12 - didn't keep records prior to that but was only dabelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Much more opportunity to trade in running golf and my ten points would usually be spread over 4-6 players, currently running at 42% ROI for 2013 and have had similar returns for '11 and '12 - didn't keep records prior to that but was only dabelling.

Oh yeah didn't even think about trading. Fantastic work, well done!

EDIT: Seriously, 40% ROI is godlike - you're not even full time at it are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭elhorse

Feel free to start a golf betting thread and let us know your fancies then! Super betting, well done

keane2097 wrote: »
    Oh yeah didn't even think about trading. Fantastic work, well done!

EDIT: Seriously, 40% ROI is godlike - you're not even full time at it are you?
    elhorse wrote: »
    Feel free to start a golf betting thread and let us know your fancies then! Super betting, well done

Not fulltime no, but I do invest an unhealthy amount of time to it!

I won't start a thread but if anyone is interested I would recomend http://www.nics-value-picks.com/ as a great starting point, its where I 'stole' my staking plan from and alot of other good tips, I don't blindly follow he's tips anymore as I porefer to do my own research, but he is very very good.

Sorry for taking the thread so far off topic!

I agree about the point system, they do it over on the Rugby forum. I don't have an online account so just bet amounts in the bookies.

Some posters here posted some very good bets over the summer, & thanks to them. I try to look for 1 good bet and put a few hundred on it.

I'm a bit disappointed not to have made much, but that's the way it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

Tyrone v Roscommon minors?

Common sense says Tyrone but Roscommon are hardly in the semi-final for nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭razor425

Slightly biased here but I think the clever money should be on Roscommon. Mayo beat Monaghan by 13 last week but only beat Ros by 3 in the Connacht final where Ros played quite poorly and Monaghan beat Tyrone in Ulster by 2. I would be fairly sure Roscommon will win and will have a large stake on it. I'd also be quietly confident that Roscommon will cover the handicap.

I wouldn't read too much into last week's game when it comes to backing Roscommon - Tyrone. At minor level so much can change from game to game. Monaghan were well below the level they had played at all year, and it was one of the finest minor displays I've seen in a long time from Mayo. On that evidence Mayo would have beaten Monaghan on any day, but it's true that Monaghan didn't do themselves justice. As well as that, Monaghan completely stole the Ulster final from Tyrone, you could argue Tyrone lost it rather than Monaghan won it, such was Tyrone's late collapse, and management made some strange subs when they probably thought the game was won. no doubt they'll have learned from that.

This game is a tough one to call imo, but I must say I'm a bit surprised at how short Roscommon's odds are. I suppose that comes with them knocking out the favourites Kildare in the last game, but Tyrone had a hard fought win over Kerry. It's tight but Tyrone +2 at 5/6 appeals to me, you can never write off Tyrone at underage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

I have an accumulator of

Monaghan Ladies
    Down Ladies
    Tyrone Minors
    Dublin

I'm usually quite lucky in GAA accumulators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭basillarkin

What is.making everone so sweet on the monaghan ladies. There price along with St.James of Galway will give me about evens which I intend to hit fairly hard if I could get some.more.info on them here. Thanks

What is.making everone so sweet on the monaghan ladies. There price along with St.James of Galway will give me about evens which I intend to hit fairly hard if I could get some.more.info on them here. Thanks

They've perhaps been the most impressive ladies team this season and in the last couple of games have racked up big scores and won by a big margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bookie Bashing

shrewdness wrote: »
    They've perhaps been the most impressive ladies team this season and in the last couple of games have racked up big scores and won by a big margin.

I'm going to put my head on the block here, big fan and all as i am of the Monaghan Ladies they are a very short price against galway there is very little to choose between the sides and although i think Monaghan will win today i think the price is too short and i would be surprised if it's much more than 2/3pts

The laois result is flattering as Laois are really poor this year IMO they have no forwards and didn't go a yard against monaghan Galway are an awful lot better than they were last and would have on paper as good a side as monaghan but just not as experienced.

Club GAA Tips

Someone mentioned it earlier but Doohamlet shouldn't be bigger than 1/1 against Carrickmacross 13/8 is a great bet.

I fancy Roscommon Gaels are also too big against Western Gaels despite them having the Cregg brothers Ros are a really good side 13/8 is a lot bigger than i was expecting 11/10 closer to the price imo

Kiltegan should be favs to be Eire Og in the replay in wicklow 1/1 is a fair price

Also St Marys at 4/7 in Sligo is way too big

Best bet this weekend for me is the Kerry +2pts @ 10/11 with Boyles in the HALF TIME HANDICAP

Mon Ladies won by ....5 pts.:)

Go on the Monaghan women! Sounds like it was a much tighter game than the score suggests but they tagged on a few late points to make the handicap safe!

Price before game 4/7. Main bet of the weekend in, bit tighter than i expected but pulled away in the last 5 mins. Doohamlet looks the bet at 18:30 but at 5/4 i feel the bit of value is gone so ill quit while im ahead.

• Advertisement

Doohamlet game finished a draw. A Colin Walshe goal helps force extra time. Lucky out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement