Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Betting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

PP offering 7/4 Clare in the W-D-W market for Sunday's hurling match. This is a "While Stocks Last" offer. I thought Ladbrokes' offer of 11/8 was great value but 7/4 is unreal. Limit €100 per customer but got to a few shops during lunch hour. Can make a few easy quid by laying back on Betfair at 5/4 (currently 2.26 to lay) if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭elhorse

Kerry ladies are 11/4 against cork in all Ireland semi tomorrow. They've beaten cork twice already in this year's championship - I know it's an improved cork team now - but surely 11/4 is value?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

elhorse wrote: »
    Kerry ladies are 11/4 against cork in all Ireland semi tomorrow. They've beaten cork twice already in this year's championship - I know it's an improved cork team now - but surely 11/4 is value?

Unless a star player or two have gotten injured that I don't know about - that's an insane price for Kerry. Have taken it in a few doubles for the weekend.
    I see this game as being a very close affair.
    Kerry beat Cork twice this year - winning at the death in the second one.
    Cork were awesome in the last 20 mins of the semi against Dublin but were not at the races till then.

I am expecting a very tight affair but with that price - certainly great value.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Unless a star player or two have gotten injured that I don't know about - that's an insane price for Kerry. Have taken it in a few doubles for the weekend.
    I see this game as being a very close affair.
    Kerry beat Cork twice this year - winning at the death in the second one.
    Cork were awesome in the last 20 mins of the semi against Dublin but were not at the races till then.

I am expecting a very tight affair but with that price - certainly great value.

I agree totally. I think cork have a couple of players back, but the value must still lie with Kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I fancy all the favourites in the Limerick football championship tomorrow- Monaleen, St. Kieran's, Fr. Casey's, St. Pat's, Ballysteen and Drom/Broadford.

In particular, Monaleen against Newcastlewest, who seem to be in complete disarray looks like an absolute banker. I'm going to put an accumulator on all 6, but there'll be at least one surprise, so I might have a smaller one aswell...which will definitely include Monaleen.

2 for 2 so far, Monaleen got me a nice bit. Just need Fr. Casey's to win out the smaller accumulator... hoping the big one works out too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Man of the match tomorrow. Going by an article in the indo today I'm gonna take bugler at 22/1 and Tony kelly at 11/1. Cyrill Farrell and 4 others identify bugler as possible clare motm. Likewise Farrell and others singing kellys praises.

Its a bit of an assumption but Farrell for certain will have a big input into the actual motm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

elhorse wrote: »

Cork won by 4pts - great value pre game none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭JLoftus

Under 1.5 goals tmo looks a great price @ 12/5

ONeill2013 wrote: »
    should Nemo Rangers beat Douglas tomorrow?
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I reckon this is going to be a close game. Douglas are a fine footballing team while Nemo are not the team they were years ago - no bet for me as I think if I had to I'd bet on douglas.

Nemo won 0-12 v 1-07

Douglas in charge for the first half, Nemo for the second.

Douglas not scoring for over 35 mins certainly didn't help them.

I fancy all the favourites in the Limerick football championship tomorrow- Monaleen, St. Kieran's, Fr. Casey's, St. Pat's, Ballysteen and Drom/Broadford.

In particular, Monaleen against Newcastlewest, who seem to be in complete disarray looks like an absolute banker. I'm going to put an accumulator on all 6, but there'll be at least one surprise, so I might have a smaller one aswell...which will definitely include Monaleen.

6 from 6, I'm quite happy! Thought there would be at least one shock, but everything went as predicted.

As for tomorrow.....

Both Cork's midfielders to score @6/5...both likely to get forward, both well able to take a point.
    No Cork back to score at evens... Egan is the most likely, but I dunno, I don't see any of their backs scoring tbh.

Pa Cronin (v John Conlon) is 4/5, fancy Pa to score more than Conlon who hasn't really made an impact against the big teams yet.
    Pat Horgan (v Colin Ryan) at evens..... I definitely fancy that. Clare have been happy to concede frees, Horgan is deadly...while I don't think Ryan will score as much as he has.

On that note...Colin Ryan Under 8.5 points @11/10 looks good to me. And John Conlon Under 1.5 @11/10.

And seeing the way matches have gone Clare/Cork ht/ft @4/1 must be worth a small bet at least.

And as has been said many times under 1.5 goals seems like a good bet. I took no goalscorer about a week ago, but the price has dropped now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭hupskip

6 from 6, I'm quite happy! Thought there would be at least one shock, but everything went as predicted.

As for tomorrow.....

Both Cork's midfielders to score @6/5...both likely to get forward, both well able to take a point.
    No Cork back to score at evens... Egan is the most likely, but I dunno, I don't see any of their backs scoring tbh.

Pa Cronin (v John Conlon) is 4/5, fancy Pa to score more than Conlon who hasn't really made an impact against the big teams yet.
    Pat Horgan (v Colin Ryan) at evens..... I definitely fancy that. Clare have been happy to concede frees, Horgan is deadly...while I don't think Ryan will score as much as he has.

On that note...Colin Ryan Under 8.5 points @11/10 looks good to me. And John Conlon Under 1.5 @11/10.

And seeing the way matches have gone Clare/Cork ht/ft @4/1 must be worth a small bet at least.

And as has been said many times under 1.5 goals seems like a good bet. I took no goalscorer about a week ago, but the price has dropped now.

Really like that bet about no Cork back to score at evens, where did you find it! Also like the look at that John Conlon bet, only thing is he will have a huge point to prove after what happened to him in their earlier game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

2 club games that finished at 7pm yesterday are still pending in paddy power, why is that? both tearms won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

ONeill2013 wrote: »
    2 club games that finished at 7pm yesterday are still pending in paddy power, why is that? both tearms won

They take a good while to update their club games. I had an accumlator just waiting on the Lismore v Ballydufff game earlier in the year, that was called off 3 days before it was due to be played and it was still down as pending for me on the Sunday night. Don't worry about it, you'll have it by tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Cork are superior to me. I'm on them HT-FT and -1. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

What's the consensus then. Wudnt be the biggest GAA fan but I'll have a bet for interest.

Shane St. wrote: »
    What's the consensus then. Wudnt be the biggest GAA fan but I'll have a bet for interest.

Edging towards Cork in terms of the match betting, but I like the look of Fireball's bets. I think you'd be unlikely to lose money if you followed the scoring match bets on Cronin and Horgan, as well as Conlon under 1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭hupskip

Conlon with an early point, hopefully that will be his lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

BTqa7SZCUAAkra9.jpg

A draw was good value today @ 10/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

BTqa7SZCUAAkra9.jpg

A draw was good value today @ 10/1

Well done, I PP was offering 14/1.

I'd have gone for it myself only for the fact that there was a draw last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

I was about to win £60 if Cork had won, my blood pressure went through the roof when the referee went over the 2 minutes injury time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I was about to win £60 if Cork had won, my blood pressure went through the roof when the referee went over the 2 minutes injury time.

He should have blown when ball was out of play - ( after 2 minutes were up )

But it would have been really hard on Clare - They deserved a draw .

He should have blown when ball was out of play - ( after 2 minutes were up )

But it would have been really hard on Clare - They deserved a draw .

Should have won the game to be honest. While the bet would same a hard one to have lost, it would have been lucky to come in. They only led once in the 71st minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Would have won 200 if Clare had won.. Ah well .... It's the way it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KevIRL wrote: »
    Boyles go an excellent 5/4 on Waterford minors to score more than 1.5 goals on Sunday. Further to my post before the semi final they once again beat the 1.5 goals in the game against Kilkenny, and had the 2 goals in the first 15 mins

Snaffle a max bet please

EDIT - already into 6/5, but still plenty value

Sigh, bet bollixed by an excellent Galway keeper who made 3 fantastic saves.

Still, a fantastic day for Waterford minors and Waterford hurling in general so a great day nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭magherakid

Derry intermediate club football championship semi finals today

Double
    Glen 1/2
    Forglen 4/7

Preview of both matches

IFC semi-final

Glen v Ballerin

Saturday, 2pm, Banagher

By Cahair O’Kane

IT’S already progress on last year for Ballerin no matter what happens, but that token won’t sate them at this stage.

If you’d said to them at the start of the year that they would play Greenlough, Claudy, Moneymore and Castledawson in the championship and reach the last four, they would have bitten the arm clean off you.

And yet here they are, sitting looking into a semi-final against a Glen team that were playing senior football twelve months ago. Will that faze Ballerin? No.

Will Glen underestimate them? Yes. They absolutely will. Because all the noises and platitudes from the training field can make no difference when it’s in your head that you’re Glen and they’re Ballerin.

It’s a dangerous mindset, and yet one that you feel Castledawson probably didn’t enter the quarter-final with. The two had met at the same stage in 2012 and it was only by the narrowest of margins in a replay that the ‘Dawson eventually prevailed. And they, under Willie McAteer, looked like a team more at ease with itself, more comfortable playing a more attacking brand of football this year. In short, they looked a better team than the one that beat Ballerin twelve months ago.

Ballerin are unquestionably a better team too though, and you can only surmise that their rate of progression has been higher in the intervening period. Their level of fitness is serious, as emphasised by the way they took a fit Claudy side apart in the first period of extra-time in their championship clash.

But what they have now, the biggest thing that they’ve taken from the last two months especially, is belief. They believe, really, truly believe, that they can beat Glen.

The Wattys are not short of belief themselves. The aim at the start of the year would have been promotion but the absence of so many players through the season contributed largely to them falling short of that. They played much of the year minus Emmet Bradley and he is again a doubt with a reported flare up of his groin injury. Stephen Convery, one of their goalscorers in the win over Greenlough, is also a doubt after taking a heavy hit during that game. They are also likely to be without lively forward Ryan Winton.

Ballerin are getting men back. John O’Connell is expected to be fit to resume at midfield, while Cathal Faulkner is likely to come back in from the start after missing the last couple of games, though he came in for the final quarter against the ‘Dawson.

They’ve coped ok in his absence, to understate the thing. Ryan Deighan is rejuvenated as a playmaker in front of Gary Keane and Paul Ferris. Their defence has constantly been reshaped to deal with the opposition, in terms of who plays where.

Glen’s forward line will cause them trouble though. In Emmet Bradley and Stephen O’Hara particularly, they have two forwards who can score from distance. Mark O’Donnell is a goal threat and Ciaran McFaul is the ace playmaker. They don’t have the same blistering pace as Claudy did but it suited Ballerin to mark pace, because they have it themselves. This is a test against cuteness, similar to what they faced against Conor Scullion, Ruairi Shivers and Aidan Keenan last weekend, a test which they passed.

It will be a huge test for their midfield against Johnny and Joe Bradley. If Glen have to put John McCamley in there too then they can. Ballerin are likely to put John O’Connell and Willie McGilligan in there from the start. McGilligan hasn’t played at midfield for much of the year but Glen’s experience and physical advantage over there might force their hand.

Pascal McKay has played a restricted role as a late sub due to injury and if he is fit to start it provides his manager Oran O’Kane with another headache.

Glen haven’t blitzed their way through Division Two as some expected they might, caught out perhaps by both the quality of opposition and the level of motivation that the likes of Foreglen, Ballymaguigan, Castledawson and Lissan would have for league games against Enda Gormley’s side. It’s a big coup for those clubs to take points off the Maghera men.

But with the league gone from them since fairly early in the year, they have been able to focus their energies on this championship run. And when they were provided with their first real test by Greenlough on Saturday, they were able to come through it.

They had led by 2-0 to 0-0 after a blistering start but found themselves two behind heading into the final 15 minutes. The introduction of Paul Gunning helped turn the tide and eventually they came out of it with a 2-10 to 0-13 win.

Ballerin have caused teams trouble with their pace in attack but the Glen defence is another step up in quality. Philip O’Connell will be given the task of marking Faulkner if he starts, while Connor Carville is likely to go on to Paul Keane, who has had a major impact on the Sarsfields’ run to this stage.

It is a run that no-one anticipated and yet again, they are underdogs for this. It is David and Goliath but this David’s a scrappy wee bugger. Goliath had better be ready.

Verdict: Glen

IFC semi-final

Foreglen v Slaughtmanus

Saturday, 3.30pm, Banagher

By Cahair O’Kane

LAST year, Slaughtmanus got it wrong. They won’t make the same mistake twice. But are they actually good enough, man for man, to beat Foreglen?

For a start, they can’t put Ian Doherty to full-forward as they did last year. By virtue of the way the fixture falls, on the Saturday rather than the Sunday, he remains suspended. It’s an another stark example of why the GAA absolutely have to bring match bans into club football. Doherty was sent off the same day as Ballinascreen’s Danny Devlin and yet Doherty can’t play and Devlin can. That’s wrong.

But anyway. Doherty started at full-forward in the 2012 quarter-final against Drumsurn and was able to capitalise on a couple of efforts that hung in the air for him to attack. They weren’t balls delivered for a target man, rather shots that fell short. But he ended up with a hat-trick and on the back of it, for the semi-final Slaughtmanus changed the style that had taken them that far.

Oisin Duffy went to full-back for Foreglen and cleaned up. The four point margin of victory was convincing, deserved, and took Foreglen into a final that they so narrowly lost at Swatragh’s hands.

Over the fence in Slaughtmanus, they complain about the tactics that Christopher Cooke and David McGinley have employed this year. And yet those tactics have accounted for Claudy and, even with 14 men from before the throw-in, accounted for Drumsurn comfortably enough.

Tellingly, they also proved too tough a nut for Foreglen to crack in a league game in early August. It wasn’t a pretty game at all but Slaughtmanus were no more worried by that. They won. That it was 0-7 to 0-6, they make no apology for.

Are they any further down the line than they were last year? That’s the question that only Saturday afternoon will answer. Their league campaign of last year was similar, but marginally better. Their win over Drumsurn in last year’s quarter-final was much more convincing in terms of the scoreline but then they played this year’s with 14 men for the entire game and were still comfortable throughout.

Legend has it that they’ve lost ten semi-finals without clearing the hurdle. Foreglen will fancy themselves to make that 11. They always fancy themselves on these big days and with justification. They really ought to have won at least one championship, losing three finals since 2006, but particularly last year, there was very little else they could have done. Luck just wasn’t with them that day.

They deserve one. Kevin O’Connor deserves a championship. He is the go-to man, the man of experience who leads the team of youth around him. His cousins, the McFeelys, then the Duffy family, their cousins the Sheerins, they have toiled together for plenty of years now without the reward their talents or efforts have merited.

But there is no point them living on hard luck tales. Last year is gone, as are 2007 and 2006. This is another opportunity.

Their success to this point has been a superb certification of the talent they possess. They haven’t had Darren O’Kane, Marty Farrell, Ciaran or Niall McFeely for any of it until the latter duo returned a couple of weeks ago. O’Kane is in Oz but they have replaced him seamlessly.

Their ability to get goals brings them through games at times. When you look back over the two games against Greenlough, they were certainly 50-50 at best. The first half of the replay, Greenlough looked comfortable but Foreglen have that knack of hitting you when you least expect it. They have forwards who are ruthless, who will seek goals if there’s even half a sniff of a chance.

Nigel Bradley has yet to display his best form in the championship though. Slaughtmanus could return to the tactics from their win over Claudy, where they double-marked Marty Donaghy, and apply the treatment to Kevin O’Connor. If that happens, Bradley will have to step up.

Slaughtmanus’ forward line doesn’t carry the same goal threat but they will keep a game tight and from Gavin McShane they will get enough to keep them well in a game. Ryan Barr’s form is coming back towards his best but they have yet to find the return from Kevin King that they had last year. They haven’t tried posting him on the edge of the square, and he looks a bit lost out on the wing at times, as he did last Saturday when he was taken off at half-time.

Without Doherty and Ryan Cooke (also suspended) they will face a slight reshuffle. It’s the absence of Doherty at midfield that could hurt them. Being without him means Barry Lyons has to go back into the middle and they are left two against two in terms of fielders, where normally they would have a man advantage.

Lyons and John Robertson will have to produce a big game in the centre. Mark McCormick ruled the roost last year and they cannot allow Foreglen that platform a second year running.

Can they deny Foreglen a second final running though? Slaughtmanus will make it defensive, make it hard for Foreglen to play through them, and if they can keep the goals out as they did in the league then there’s a strong chance.

Verdict: Foreglen

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭storykid

There are 2 games in Waterford this weekend that i really like the look of

Portlaw are 5/6 to beat De La Salle Intermediates. Portlaw have been knocking on the door of promotion for a long time now and are probably the strongest team in the eastern division, winning it last year but losing the county final. They will be keen to go 1 step further this year.

At the end of the day this is DLS's second team they are playing and in fairness it is a very good team, but with their first team playing Ballygunner in a massive game in the quarter final of the senior today at half 5 they wont be sparing anyone from the subs bench if needed. Because up to now some of their better intermediate players haven't played senior and have been spared for the second team where they'd get more regular first team action.

It remains to be seen how many players the intermediates may lose from this Ballygunner senior match later but even so, if Portlaw have any aspirations of playing senior hurling and mixing it with the big boys they should be beating a second string DLS side and I would be very very surprised if they dont win this one.

Im putting Portlaw in a double with Passage 4/7 to beat Ballyduff Upper.
    Passage have been in great from this year recording impressive wins over good sides in Mt Sion and Abbeyside. also beating Roanmore and drawing with last years finalists Dungarvan. They were beaten by Ballygunner last time out but had already qualified and I'm not reading to much into that result.

Ballyduff Upper have been steady this year, beaten by De La Salle and Fourmilewater, drew with Tallow, beating Ring and Lismore. Last year they were in the relegation final and won, surviving the drop.

They are a tough resilient side who you never write off, but Passage possess the better hurlers all around the pitch here, with the likes of Eoin Kelly in serious form all year up front. I expect Passage to pull away and win this one by a few points. They've been touted by many down here as dark horses for the title. They should be winning this one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭magherakid

Sorry to anyone who followed Glen drew

Amazing difference of opinion between bookies on down championship game tomorrow - mayobridge are 1/6 with powers and 2/7 with boyles. I happen to think powers have it about right, anyone else agree that 2/7 is great value?

Limerick hurling semi-finals tomorrow...

Kilmallock V Na Piarsaigh
    Doon V Adare

I fancy Kilmallock & Doon, taking them in an accumulator.

Doon @15/8 seems to be unbelievable value to me.....having already taken them at 8/1 e/w for the county title, I think they'll have enough to beat Adare. They've been arguably the form team, already beaten both Na Piarsaigh and Patrickswell, have a very young team. Adare did rack up a very high score against Ballybrown which was very impressive, and made me rethink slightly...but I still think Doon will have enough.

Even if you don't fancy backing them, taking them at +3 @8/11 is surely worth a go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Limerick hurling semi-finals tomorrow...

Kilmallock V Na Piarsaigh
    Doon V Adare

I fancy Kilmallock & Doon, taking them in an accumulator.

Doon @15/8 seems to be unbelievable value to me.....having already taken them at 8/1 e/w for the county title, I think they'll have enough to beat Adare. They've been arguably the form team, already beaten both Na Piarsaigh and Patrickswell, have a very young team. Adare did rack up a very high score against Ballybrown which was very impressive, and made me rethink slightly...but I still think Doon will have enough.

Even if you don't fancy backing them, taking them at +3 @8/11 is surely worth a go.

Very poor day in Limk, the weather could do a number on bets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement