Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passports and pubs

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Lemsiper wrote: »
    Ya but if you're wearing a condom then technically you're not having sex because nothing is touching.

So technically people who always wear condoms for ''sex'' is a virgin?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Ya but if you're wearing a condom then technically you're not having sex because nothing is touching.

You're doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

genericguy wrote:
    ; and i told her it was becuase i'd never just turned 18 before.

It was a bit of a smart answer alright, not suprised you were asked to leave

• Stephen wrote: »
    Over here they ID anyone who looks under 40. You can imagine the looks you get when you pull out the ridiculous pink paper, laminated on one side only Irish driving licence, not to mention one of those stupid age cards. The passport seems to be the only form of ID from Ireland that doesn't look like some 14 year old made it on his inkjet printer.

I know. It's so embarrassing. They just look bemused and say 'what the hell is THIS?' I actually could do a better job on my home PC.

I have a zero tolerance approach now to anyone who won't accept my passport. It's annoying enough to get asked at 25, but to then get my ID scrutinised and be asked patronising questions about what my star sign is....f**k all the way off, like. I call the manager, report it to head office and leave my entire basket of stuff on the counter for the staff to put away. I am not going to put up with being refused sale of alcohol at the age of 25 and producing the best form of ID possible. It is so odd that I travel by plane at least 10 times a year and have never once had my passport looked at twice by anyone in an airport, including American immigration at JFK, but the jobsworths in Tesco are so very sure that it's fake and looks nothing like me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I always use my Garda Age Card, I'm scared shitless about bringing my passport out on a night out. If you lose your Garda Age Card it's not as nerve-wracking as losing your passport!

Oh, quick question, if you're going to a gig and it's over 18's, does that mean it's inclusive of 18 year olds? Got in a bit of confusion about this with a bouncer a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Oh, quick question, if you're going to a gig and it's over 18's, does that mean it's inclusive of 18 year olds? Got in a bit of confusion about this with a bouncer a while ago.

Seriously?

Seriously?

Yup, and by confusion I mean argument. Maybe he was just having a bad day or something? Still pissed off about that, 20euro wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Its definitely inclusive! Sure you're over 18 1 second into your 18th birthday!
    genericguy wrote: »
    i went to get my garda ID on the day after i turned 18, and when the bean garda asked me for a postal order I said I just brought money. She then said "jesus, how'd you not know it was a postal order?"

Has this changed? I'm looking at the form and nowhere does it mention postal order. Just 'Fee enclosed'. It'd be so much handier if I could just give cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I wonder if you were underage and got your mates passport and birth cert and went in and filled out everything needed to get an age card in the garda stations do they carry out any other checks. I wouldn't be surprised considering the incompetence of some of our gardai.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I never bring my passport out and only use it I really want to get in somewhere when I am abroad. I think it is farcical that we do not have a national ID card for such instances. I have several visas and if I lose my passport it is not just a case of renewing the passport but is really a logistical nightmare.

I was in a place in Perth and they were taking scans of peoples passports and also taking there pictures, I was like to f*ck with them before they are going stealing my identity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

i hope for your ask that, that is not what she said

Conor108 wrote: »
    Has this changed? I'm looking at the form and nowhere does it mention postal order. Just 'Fee enclosed'. It'd be so much handier if I could just give cash

Got my age card a few months ago and it was grand, very straight forward. And they took cash too, has to be exactly 10euro and took about a month to arrive but I was never told I needed a postal order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Legal age for sex is 17

There's no legal age on buying condoms though
    Better safe than sorry applys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

yesno1234 wrote: »
    I wonder if you were underage and got your mates passport and birth cert and went in and filled out everything needed to get an age card in the garda stations do they carry out any other checks. I wouldn't be surprised considering the incompetence of some of our gardai.

you probably could, went in to get mine the other day and your man didn't even ask me for any id just looked at my birth cert and that was that. I paid in cash too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Age card is a load of bollox. They spelt my name wrong on my one, and on my friend's one they put the wrong date on it, saying he was only 16! ****ing overpaid lazy underworked public sector droolers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Age card is a load of bollox. They spelt my name wrong on my one, and on my friend's one they put the wrong date on it, saying he was only 16! ****ing overpaid lazy underworked public sector droolers.

i went in and got my age card and all i had with me was a 10er and my birthcert.
    no problem what so ever with it. took a while to arrive though. 6weeks plus. but the garda said that they dont send them off 1 at a time they wait till maybe 10 people hand them in and post them together.

when i was in 4th year we we're goin to spain with the school and 1 of my friends had her passport and we were looking at it and noticed her sex was male on it.
    she must have been getting funny looks at the airports.

i still think this dunnes i.d for condoms is a joke. as someone said on the last page the legal age for sex is 17.
    do you think if your under 18 you shouldnt be alowed wear a condom. like dunnes refusing tem condoms is gonna make it worse ecause they'l prob take the risk like

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭j_nolan

I went to a place last night and got asked for my I.D. When I pulled out my passport, before even looking at it, the bouncer said, 'We've stopped taking these. You won't even get served in an off-license with this.' I'm twenty-four and haven't been asked for I.D. in almost a year. I've never gotten an Age Card because I've never needed one, and the only reason they're doing this now is to have people who already have passports (almost everyone) pay the tenner. It's absolutely ridiculous.

What I said to him was, 'So I can get into the Gaza Strip with that but not this pub?' He then looked at me blankly and said that he'd let me in this time but that, the next time, I would have to have an Age Card because 'You've already been told in other places,' even though I haven't.

My philosophy to this is that I'm too old to be ****ing around with arsehole jobsworths. If they want to refuse me for some bull**** reason, I'm going to walk away because there's nowhere worth putting up with that ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I get asked for id that often i just show them now before they ask,it throws them abit and go on as if they wasn't going to ask me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭j_nolan

I use to do that when I was younger, but for whatever reason, I take it a bit more personally now. It's my own fault; you don't get asked for ages, and suddenly, you think you're above their idiotic rules.

Advertisement