Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you become old?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah Jesus, were younger teens "in your day" (way back through the mists of time in 2005/6) just playing tip the can...? There's something so, so wrong about an 18-year-old saying "kids these days".

Funny enough myself and a mate were giving out about the teenagers but it was the opposite of what you're saying, we were annoyed at how everyone seemed to stop taking drugs after us. :pac:

I started feeling old once the age of consent had the potential to affect my life. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

When I woke in the middle of the night and had to get up and pee... I really felt old then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

- When I realised that I hate getting drunk for no reason. These days, I only like to be p**sed if I'm with friends having good craic and it happens that too much alcohol is taken. The idea of "getting drunk" for the sake of it just seems annoying and "teenager-y" to me now.

- When I realised that 95% of what passes for music now is jaded talentless kareoke shíte.

- When I realised that a lot of the music that I consider "cool" is probably considered "Dad-rock" now.

- When I realised how much I despise the seemingly endless glorification and celebration of talentless mediocrity like Jedward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Takes one to know one. :p
    oh sorry couldnt quite hear you come and sit on my knee dont mind the smell of piss will change my bag in a min now what were you sayin son?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Duckjob wrote: »
    - When I realised that a lot of the music that I consider "cool" is probably considered "Dad-rock" now.
    You have to smile a bit when you hear younger people talking about Lady Gaga being sooo crazy, then look back at Ozzy biting the head off a bat. The excesses of the heyday of metal are unlikely to be repeated any time soon. If I had to make a complaint about music nowadays its that it takes itself too seriously, we should go back to the 80s with Falco and them, when it was just fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 goodgirl7279

Recently I realised Im crap at fashion. I used to just know what to put on innately and it was cool. These days I just dont get this "its not supposed to match craze" . Is feeling old similar to feeling "not with it" or not cool anymore?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

when you see someone driving on the roads and you can remember when they were born

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

When I realised there's no way I'm matching that young fella on the wing I'm supposed to be marking for pace. I never had much pace anyway but giving myself one or two yards has become four or five. And that ****er just keeps running long after I want to throw up and die :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

When I took my first Rennies tablet after dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

The day it took me a while to decide which fabric softener I wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

When I realised there's no way I'm matching that young fella on the wing I'm supposed to be marking for pace. I never had much pace anyway but giving myself one or two yards has become four or five. And that ****er just keeps running long after I want to throw up and die :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqSysgrhzU

Not having enough pace never stop Matterazzi, just kick the winger till he slows down;)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

I realized that I had grown up and was maturer then ever before when I realized I wasn't grown up and am no where near mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭elleburp

The day I don't want to festivalise my summer is the day I become old - that's still a long way off

When I overheard one teenage girl say to another, "Did you know that Paul McCartney was in another group before wings!"

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Trappers Son

Probably when I found myself going on rte.ie on a Friday afternoon to see who was on the late late rather than having a good Facebook stalk..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Probably when I realised some of the younger gang of fellas I know aren't even 21 yet and have never played a Super Nintendo :eek:

When I'm made fun of whenever I say "what the hell is wrong with you spending that much on a T-shirt!?!"

When I wish bottles of coke were 70p and cans were 50p again...............and crisps were 10p..............and delicious back then (They're crap nowadays!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

When I took down my football posters, put up new wallpaper, ordered my clothes in the wardrobe from winter jackets through to summer Tshirts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I remember the one pound note. No one else seems to.

I also stopped wearing skirts when its cold. Such an old woman thing to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I was standing behind a women and her toodler at checkout queue in a supermarket. The kid accidentally bumped into me, so the mother said to him "Mind the man behind you". I looked around to see who she was talking about before realising it was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

About 2 weeks ago. I do all the ironing at home (don't ask) and noticed this ironing board cover on TV by JML that's got extra padding and thought 'I must get me one of those'. I immediately felt sad :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Morrisseys quiff

I started a conversation with a friend of a friend about Italia '90 and he said "I wasn't born then".
    Christ, I felt old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I was on a bus home from Donegal when I was 21 (5 years ago) and I overheard two kids talking behind me.

One of them said 'You know that band Nirvana we were listening to? You know their lead singer is dead?'
    'Really?'
    'Yeah, he shot himself the same year we were born.'

I barely remember Kurt Cobain's suicide (I was ten), but that really made me conscious of the passage of time.

I'm resisting being old though. Owning a car would make me feel old, so even though I'm applying for my test in a couple of weeks I'm resisting owning a car (my finances are helping, thankfully).

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Trappers Son

Ha just after I posted on this I walked outside with the moose, looked at the state of what I was wearing and thought.. cudnt give a fuk! When I was a young fella I wouldn av been caught dead in such attire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Me too which is why I made the subtle transition to centre where I can convince myself that the loss of pace and expanding wasteline are part of an attempt to develop myself into a Kevin Maggs-esque battering ram :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

When it takes two days to recover from partying till 4am.
    I'm still in a heap today. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Listening to young wans slang words and not understand a word of it unless I look it up online! Eh I'm 25 don't feel too old anyways still feel like I'm 21! Act like it too sometimes but then again some people think I'm either 20 or 30 deep down!? Sometimes feel too old to party...if it takes longer to get over a hangover after a few drinks...I'll really only feel old if I don't like certain music or won't listen to a type of music or when it comes to clothes....if the role changes! Then I will be damned...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dudess wrote: »
    Kinda just around now (32) - up to only a few months ago I couldn't bear staying in on a weekend night. Tbh though, it doesn't bother me, which is kinda the ultimate sign of "oldness"...
    HAHAHA. What sort of flipping weirdo likes going out every weekend. Love popping over to a mates place and watching a movie and having beers, be it in Galway, Dublin, Belfast, or where ever.

I suppose I sorta feel old when, after drinking to 9am since 6pm the day before, I need to sleep, as opposed to staying awake until the next night, and sleeping then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Just last week, right after my 7th back operation in 5 years (2 in the last 3 weeks) :( That smiley really doesnt cover it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I felt really old the other day when in a conversation about 3D TV and how cheap LCD tvs are I mentioned that when I was a kid our family rented the tv. The looks of horror I got off the (mainly mid 20's) people I was talking to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭conorhal

The night I strolled into a nightclub, scoped the clientele.... and instantly felt like a pedophile....

Advertisement