Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is voting on BB racially motivated??

Options
  • 06-08-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭

Just following on from issues and points raised on the BB thread tonight.......
    Do you think that voters evict based on race or not??:confused:

Is voting on BB racially motivated?? 6 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Personally myself I don't think they do but there have been many interesting posts posted this evening which would seem to suggest that this may not be the case!!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭MrMojoRising

I can only talk for myself, but honestly when it comes to evicting someone it usually comes down to one of the following:

they're annoying
    they're fake
    i just don't like them :o

race never really entered my mind until tonight, and i saw those stats.
    maybe subconsciously it does play on peoples' minds

I can only talk for myself, but honestly when it comes to evicting someone it usually comes down to one of the following:

they're annoying
    they're fake
    i just don't like them :o

race never really entered my mind until tonight, and i saw those stats.
    maybe subconsciously it does play on peoples' minds

Me too, for all the reasons you listed above!!!!
    I have to sat tho' even though I dislike JJ1 and Dave I prob would've voted Rachel out over those 2 as I'm a BB viewer who likes to see HM's who rile the house up:o

Me too, for all the reasons you listed above!!!!
    I have to sat tho' even though I dislike JJ1 and Dave I prob would've voted Rachel out over those 2 as I'm a BB viewer who likes to see HM's who rile the house up:o

Don't tell me why, but I really dislike JJ2. I think he offers nothing at all to the program. I know the girls will love him and all that, but in terms of entertainment, he gives nothing.

Now, in the interest of keeping this OT, that view has nothing to do with his race. I just think he's a bore :)

(*all the girls are gonna kill me now, i know it!*)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭The 411

As far as I'm aware, a black woman has only ever survived the public vote twice over the history of Big Brother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The 411 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, a black woman has only ever survived the public vote twice over the history of Big Brother

I'm open to correction, but I'm fairly sure no black woman has ever survived a public vote? I'm a bit hazy on the first couple of series though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ no black woman has survived...ever, + over 11 series EVERY first housemate out was female + good looking, that incl. Celeb BB + BB:CH.

Jeez lads, I'd like to be able to remember if the above posts are accurate but I honestly can't recall!!:o

^ no black woman has survived...ever, + over 11 series EVERY first housemate out was female + good looking, that incl. Celeb BB + BB:CH.

Makosi survived against Lesley in week 2 of BB6 and again in week 7, except this time it was another black woman, Vanessa who left.

I'm open to correction, but I'm fairly sure no black woman has ever survived a public vote? I'm a bit hazy on the first couple of series though.

I find these stats really interesting. Maybe they have no meaning, maybe they do. I've watched all series after the first (missed that one) and I can't remember a black girl surviving eviction (would love to be proved wrong tho).

In fact, the more I type about this the more crazy it seems.
    Why hasn't a black girl survived an eviction?

Is it because girls are generally more likely to be voted out anyway (and the black ones just happened to be black? i know - sounds daft, but still...)?

• Advertisement

Makosi survived against Lesley in week 2 of BB6

The entire house was up that week. Granted Makosi (and Vanessa) survived but I think we are more focussed on instances where its a 2way,3way eviction contest.
    and again in week 7, except this time it was another black woman, Vanessa who left.

Definitely wrong here - 6 of them were up, the bottom two in the public vote were Vanessa and Makosi. And the housemates got to decide in one of the more farcically bad live shows. (Anthony voted first, and the others followed his vote).

The entire house was up that week. Granted Makosi (and Vanessa) survived but I think we are more focussed on instances where its a 2way,3way eviction contest.

Makosi was hugely popular at that stage in BB6 so if it she had been up against 2 other people that week (bar Maxwell and Saskia) she would most definitely have survived.
    Definitely wrong here - 6 of them were up, the bottom two in the public vote were Vanessa and Makosi. And the housemates got to decide in one of the more farcically bad live shows. (Anthony voted first, and the others followed his vote).

I still remember one of the crowd member hurling an apple at a traumatised Vanessa as she was being led to her interview by Davina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

The black girl Mel from bb1 survived a public vote twice and Brian Belo won and he was a late entry and they never usually do well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brother_2000_(UK)

I'm not bothered looking through all the BB's because I found enough in the first one.

I'd imagine the BB and x-factor audience have a large cross over and look at how well black people have done in x-factor. Race has nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

SugarHigh wrote: »
    The black girl Mel from bb1 survived a public vote twice and Brian Belo won and he was a late entry and they never usually do well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brother_2000_(UK)

I'm not bothered looking through all the BB's because I found enough in the first one.

I'd imagine the BB and x-factor audience have a large cross over and look at how well black people have done in x-factor. Race has nothing to do with it.

Actually that's very true, when you take the X Factor into account, same audience i would imagine.

Out of interest, we're all BB fans here (you know what i mean) - Did/does everybody here watch the X factor as well? I do :D:o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brother_2000_(UK)).

Which week did she survive the public vote?
    Looking at the nominations table at the bottom, it appears that the first time she was up that she got evicted?

I FOUND ONE :D:D

Noirin Kelly survived the public vote against Karly (evicted) Sophie and Siavash in week 6 last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brother_2009_(UK)#Nominations_table

Discussion about the phenom from another site.
    http://community.betfair.com/big_brother_11/go/thread/view/110169/25556797/Big_Brother__~_The_curse_of_the_non-white_females_in_eviction_battles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I FOUND ONE :D:D

Noirin Kelly survived the public vote against Karly (evicted) Sophie and Siavash in week 6 last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brother_2009_(UK)#Nominations_table

Discussion about the phenom from another site.
    http://community.betfair.com/big_brother_11/go/thread/view/110169/25556797/Big_Brother__~_The_curse_of_the_non-white_females_in_eviction_battles

So the whole thread is pointless then :eek:
    :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Which week did she survive the public vote?
    Looking at the nominations table at the bottom, it appears that the first time she was up that she got evicted?
    She survived week 7 round 1.

She survived week 7 round 1.

You serious?
    It looks like no-one got evicted in that particular round, nominations void. It hardly counts as surviving the public vote.

In week 7, Darren's nomination for Melanie and Craig was overheard by the rest of the house. Big Brother decided to cancel all the nominations and the housemates had to nominate for a second time in which Darren changed his nominations. Had this not happened, Claire, Craig, Darren and Melanie would have faced the public vote.

Mel and Noirin were mixed-race, not black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

I don't think the voting is racially motivated at all. Maybe instead of searching for stats we should look at the girls/guys who were voted off...more than likely there were many non-colour related reasons.
    This year Rachael no1 was considered to be too vain and up herself by loads of viewers.
    Rachael no2 & Ife were boring.
    These aren't necessarily my opinions of the girls but they are the main reasons they are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If anything, it's gender motivated.
    Young women and gay men are the ones who vote most.

Attractive women (subject to taste) tend to be the amongst those voted out early, regardless of their personalities.
    Young women see them as a threat because they see attractive men in the house, and fantasise about being with those men. Same with young gay men.

Sophie Reade and Kate Lawler bucked the trend, but most of the winners were either gay men, gay icons, or average looking women.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Mel and Noirin were mixed-race, not black.

Exactly!...Norin was NOT black, she's like the white-est "black" person you'll ever meet.....i doubt Norin see herself as black either.

Advertisement