Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat got stuck between branches of a tree

Options
  • 07-08-2010 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Quite a distressing story about our cat ginger. Ginger is a rescue cat and on pain meds each day for an inoperable previous injury to his back left leg. He gets by just fine but sits funny due to his leg. Obviously not as mobile as other young cats but you'd be hard pushed to notice. Anyway Ginger stays out some nights and would always arrive back after a night out :) looking for food first thing.
    We were a little worried when he didn't show up at all yesterday after staying out wednesday night. Had a quick look but cars are tough out so we gave it another night. So this morning there was still no sign so I took the dog for a walk to a nearby field/wooded area for a search. I eventually found him stuck in a tree. It was hard to get through the ditch/overgrowth. Took about 5 frantic minutes and I just thought the cat was just a bit high up or something even though he sounded very distressed.
    When I got to him I found why exactly he was stuck. Picture a tree trunck with a medium size branch at about 15 degrees out. Cat had somehow fallen into this space and was wedged at the hip hanging horizontally with almost no support. I had to force the branch back and get someone else to lift him out he was stuck so badly. He was listless to say the least and had no use of his back legs. Got him straight to the vet and X-ray revealed no bone injuries. Looks like crushed nerves. He's on steroids and has the weekend to recover before he would be put down. Horrible thing to happen. He was in shock stuck there for near day and a half :(
    I'm not really a 'cat' person but Ginger is a gorgeous 'cat' and I hope he recovers. So glad I found him before he starved or exhaustion got the better of him. Fingers crossed he recovers. Illmpost a followup.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭imbroglio

Aw, so sorry to hear about poor Ginger. I hope he's OK. he is very lucky to have an owner like you. Please let us know how he gets on. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Poor little mite, fingers crossed all works out ok for him

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Poor thing, thank God you found him, I really hope he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

any update on Ginger?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Sorry to say that Ginger didn't make it. About 3am this morning :(

He had perked up twice over the weekend and even last night for a while but went downhill after.

Brought home and buried in back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Terribly sorry to hear news. Hope you are OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Really sorry to hear about that, its awful losing a pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭imbroglio

Sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So sorry.

We had a similar thing years back with an elderly Siamese; she was sleeping in the bathroom and trying to get atop the hot tank must have slipped down between the tank and the wall; a gap of around two inches wide, and nothing we could move etc.

She was bleeding from the backside.

I finally dowsed her in cooking oil and wriggled her upwards; after all if she were more injured?

She peed blood; we were too far from any vet and the vet nurse on the phone told us to keep an eye on her. That her kidneys were bruised.

Thankfully she recovered; the worst was getting the cooking oil off her.

But the shock of finding her like that is something never to be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Pudding11

So sorry to hear of your loss but glad you found Ginger. At least he was looked after before he died and you dont have the worry of wondering where he went or what happened to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Poor Ginger, I'm sure he had a wonderful life with you. RIP Ginger.

Advertisement