Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence issue

Options
  • 07-08-2010 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

As ye know I have my .223 for sale, I currently have a licence for a .223 and a .270.

I am wondering would there be much hassle for me to change my .223 for either a .22-250 .243 or a .308 while still keeping my .270?

I know a few lads who have more than one "deer" calibre but these are all members of a range so use them for targets also.

Can I justify having two rifles of this size without being a member of a range?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

patsat wrote: »
    As ye know I have my .223 for sale, I currently have a licence for a .223 and a .270.

I am wondering would there be much hassle for me to change my .223 for either a .22-250 .243 or a .308 while still keeping my .270?

I know a few lads who have more than one "deer" calibre but these are all members of a range so use them for targets also.

Can I justify having two rifles of this size without being a member of a range?

Just say " one is for shooting reds, one for Fallow" and let her be lucky........

Joining a Range is really the way forward. one for Stalking only & one for targets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Joining a Range is really the way forward. one for Stalking only & one for targets

Well thats for two years down the line when I'm qualified!

Well thats for two years down the line when I'm qualified!

Qualified?

From collage! Poor student like me couldn't afford the fees of a range!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It should be alright if your super's a decent one. A .22-250 or a .243 is a great fox gun, especially if your ranges tend to be on the longer side. You can also practise cheaper and with less recoil. Shooting hundreds of rounds with a .270 is not going to leave you a happy camper. Best bet is to get them on the phone or go for a meeting. Good luck.

• Advertisement

It should be alright if your super's a decent one. A .22-250 or a .243 is a great fox gun, especially if your ranges tend to be on the longer side. You can also practise cheaper and with less recoil. Shooting hundreds of rounds with a .270 is not going to leave you a happy camper. Best bet is to get them on the phone or go for a meeting. Good luck.

+1

Asking costs nothing.

I know a few lads with .22-250's as fox guns and .270's for deer

Just be clear concise and simple in your explanations.

"Customrifle" has a serious foxer .22-250

You should ask him to post a pic!

If it was the one in fergals shop with the heavy barrel (and I mean heavy:D) on it then I've held it in my hand! Cracking gun!

The truth is them calibres are what I want as I'm itching to get started on a 7mm08 stalking rifle and they have all the same bolt head!

But I'm too greedy to give up the .270 as I havnt even stalked with it yet!

If it was the one in fergals shop with the heavy barrel (and I mean heavy:D) on it then I've held it in my hand! Cracking gun!

The truth is them calibres are what I want as I'm itching to get started on a 7mm08 stalking rifle and they have all the same bolt head!

But I'm too greedy to give up the .270 as I havnt even stalked with it yet!

I'd love a 7mm08 or a few variants
    next year i may go a full custom build.

it can get seriously expensive though, defiance machine action, Kreiger 32" barrel, jewel trigger, custom made stock and thats before mounts or a scope:eek:

I'm starting with the 700 action and slowly building it up! Fingers crossed!

I'm starting with the 700 action and slowly building it up! Fingers crossed!

The fig has a few remmy Actions for sale, my mate Wallysworld is making a rifle from bits and bobs to get started .223 and working from there

• Advertisement

How will I be able to contact the super?if I go into my local station will they give me no. Or way should I do?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

How will I be able to contact the super?if I go into my local station will they give me no. Or way should I do?

This has a directory of stations: http://garda.ie/Stations/Default.aspx

Ring the number marked "District HQ" between 9 & 5 Mon-Fri and ask if you can speak with the super.

Supers have a lot of draw on their time, so you might be better off first going via the Garda dealing with firearms in your local station. They'll have a good idea of what the super typically will and won't grant. A good local FO is a great resource, so it's worth not going over their head unless you have to.

I do it first thing monday morning so!

If it was up to my local sargeant she would have problem but I would like to speak to the man in charge before travelling the country looking for a gun!

I do it first thing monday morning so!

If it was up to my local sargeant she would have problem but I would like to speak to the man in charge before travelling the country looking for a gun!

your age may go against you P.
    I had a similar problem when I was your age.
    The Garda once said to me shur isn't one gun enough for you!

You just have to be polite but determined.

Just explain your case. Say one is for Deer only, and one is for foxes and occasional target shooting.
    However if you were member of a Target club you would have a much easier life.

or perhaps say one is for Fallow deer, and the other is for Sika & Reds as they are harder to drop as they are tougher.

just don't tell lies and you should be ok.
    Explain logically and simply, if you can name drop a few permissions with red on it and others with fallow it may help.

your age may go against you P.

Our Local guards loves when youngfellas show interest and follow their fathers hunting, when I was going for my first licence the guard took off on a rant about the little c**ts hanging round the streets!

All I can do is try!

I rang the super today and was told he would have no problem licencing a second rifle of this calibre, along as I hadn't two rifles of the same calibre!

Now its time to start ringing around looking for a suitable gun, have tried all the shops within an hours driving and no joy yet :rolleyes:

I rang the super today and was told he would have no problem licencing a second rifle of this calibre, along as I hadn't two rifles of the same calibre!

Now its time to start ringing around looking for a suitable gun, have tried all the shops within an hours driving and no joy yet :rolleyes:

You could get a .270wsm and go big into the Target scence!

Although that could be too expensive route to take.

Buy an action and build a rifle to your pocket?
    You'd get a serious accurate rifle that way and pay for bits as you can afford them.

You could get a .270wsm and go big into the Target scence!

Although that could be too expensive route to take.

Buy an action and build a rifle to your pocket?
    You'd get a serious accurate rifle that way and pay for bits as you can afford them.

I said I wanted a stalking rifle, never mentioned targets!:confused:

If I can pick up a handy rifle(no joy after ringing around today:() I'll start with that otherwise I'll go for an action!

I said I wanted a stalking rifle, never mentioned targets!:confused:

If I can pick up a handy rifle(no joy after ringing around today:() I'll start with that otherwise I'll go for an action!

Ooops, ok. What calibre of rifle in specific, what shillins to spend? .270 again? Or a slightly smaller/different cal?

Ooops, ok. What calibre of rifle in specific, what shillins to spend? .270 again? Or a slightly smaller/different cal?

I've explained this in the OP!

I'm looking for a remmy 700 in either 22-250,243 or a .308( all these have the same bolt face as a 7mm08)

I'd like to trade the .223 I have for it.

• Advertisement

I've explained this in the OP!

I'm looking for a remmy 700 in either 22-250,243 or a .308( all these have the same bolt face as a 7mm08)

I'd like to trade the .223 I have for it.

Since you already have the .270, I'd go .243 for foxing and bunnies, as well as shooting fallow etc.

the 7mm-08 is supposed to be a hum dinger of a round too, dwighet has one

See one of the guys on here has a VSSF II with a chopped barrel, you know a fella who could do that to a VSSF II in .22-250.

Would be legal on deer and a very tasty rifle

Which ever calibre doesn't really concern me as it always gonna be destined for a 7mm08!

Which ever calibre doesn't really concern me as it always gonna be destined for a 7mm08!

Ah, well the Fig has a few Remmy short actions as is, so no need to buy a rifle ;)

Ah, well the Fig has a few Remmy short actions as is, so no need to buy a rifle ;)

To do that I've to sell my cz first,so if I can get a good trade on that I'll take it otherwise I'll hold tough,sell it and start with a new action

To do that I've to sell my cz first,so if I can get a good trade on that I'll take it otherwise I'll hold tough,sell it and start with a new action

You try Guntrader.ie?

Advertisement