Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing phone question

Options
  • 07-08-2010 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

I've been on prepay for years and recently moved to bill pay in April but I'm not really happy with the phone I bought (it cost me €200 with a €40 per month 18 month contract with O2).

I was wondering if I could simply walk into a store and buy a new phone and sell the current phone I have to a mate as I won't be able to upgrade the phone for another 13 months or so.

Btw forgive the ignorance of this question but I'm not exactly an expert on network contacts, phone replacements etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

You would need to buy a sim-free phone, or else a Pay As You Go o2 phone, but either of these will work perfectly.

Expect phones to be more expensive than when you were looking at them with contracts though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

o2 do allow you to upgrade the handset usual after your 6 months into the contract, but you will have to sign up to another 18 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

You would need to buy a sim-free phone, or else a Pay As You Go o2 phone, but either of these will work perfectly.

Expect phones to be more expensive than when you were looking at them with contracts though

There is no way I could afford the SIM Free or PAYG phone that I want, like I said the phone I bought was €200 but it is €519 on PAYG and possibly much more SIM Free and the one that I want has similar specs and is in the same price range.
    Davy wrote:
    o2 do allow you to upgrade the handset usual after your 6 months into the contract, but you will have to sign up to another 18 month contract.

Cheers, that's the answer I was looking for........too bad about the contract extension though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

You have the Sony Ericsson X10. What price are you planning on selling this to your mate for? I presume you are not going to sell it to him for less than the €200 you paid for it

It should be worth €300-400 if not more second hand. This would allow you to buy most smart phones sim free. You wouldn't have to change or extend your contract at all, you r mate would have to get it unlocked if he insn't on O2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

You have the Sony Ericsson X10. What price are you planning on selling this to your mate for? I presume you are not going to sell it to him for less than the €200 you paid for it

It should be worth €300-400 if not more second hand. This would allow you to buy most smart phones sim free. You wouldn't have to change or extend your contract at all, you r mate would have to get it unlocked if he insn't on O2

Yeah I have the Xperia X10 and am quite frankly sick of it. I was looking to get the HTC Desire for €169 so I'd probably sell if to my mate for around that price because I doubt he would pay €300/€400 for a second hand phone.

The thing is that the new wave of smart phones is just around the corner plus the Xperia X10 is being upgraded to Android 2.1 next month so I could hang on and weigh up my options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

The reason you got the X10 for 200 and it costs 519 sim free is O2 are subsidising the cost of the phone through your 18 month contract.

Whats to stop your mate buying it for €169 and selling it on for €300-400 himself. If it was me I'd be rubbing my hands together in glee at that deal.

You would get the Desire for €169 on a straight upgrade with O2, I think in your situation you won't get it for that price as you are only 3 months into an 18 month contract and O2 would be losing out on the subsidy they gave you towards the X10.

Advertise and sell the phone yourself and buy the desire Sim Free from Clove or one of the other websites mentioned in this forum.

Advertisement