Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 Subjects in the Leaving Cert... (World Record attempt -Waterford based)

• 07-08-2010 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lamph

Well,

Just to introduce myself. I'm Eoin Jackson and I'm expecting some interesting exam results on Wednesday week. I just sat 30 LC subjects this June. I did 20 Higher and 10 at Ordinary level. (i.e. 20+10 in 2010!)

If I manage to pass more than 20, it'll be a new record for 'most exams passed in any State exam worldwide' (If I pass fewer than 20 it'll be an embarrassment to me -AND to Waterford for spawning a fool like me! :P)

I'm putting a documentary about it on YouTube... I just uploaded an episode about the Japanese Oral exam. It's turned out gr8, so I thought I would share it here on the Waterford forum:-

It's the 5th episode in the series.
    (Episode #1 is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vYrLTpqgpc)

Hopefully this'll be of interest to some of ye. It'll probably be on the radio and in the papers when the results come out, but remember ye heard it here first. "Boards.ie Waterford forum:- actually First For Waterford!!" ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

fair play to ya i didnt realise you could do so many subjects for LC
    best of luck with results

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

I bet you were fun to sit beside in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Best of luck Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

good luck there chief...
    27530d1252703112-custom-windows-7-wallpapers-gold-star-big.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Jesus what an achievement! best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

SUNGOD wrote: »
    fair play to ya i didnt realise you could do so many subjects for LC

From what I remember you can do as many as you want but when it comes to geting points they only use 7 subjects.

Anyway Fair play sounds like it was interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

"I REALLY LIKE Abba!"

Very cool. I took JC Music with some of the kids I teach this year and did my General Study on Abba. It was great. Unfortunately I think I made a bags of the rest of the paper.

Good luck with the results and more importantly with the fund-raising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

That's amazing, best of luck to you.

Any tips on how to pass exams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

fair play dude, hopes ya break the second record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Stokolan wrote: »
    From what I remember you can do as many as you want but when it comes to geting points they only use 7 subjects.

Anyway Fair play sounds like it was interesting.

I never heard of anyone getting 700 points in the leaving, I thought the max was 600?

Sounds very interesting. All the best with the results!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Moonmad

From today's Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0817/breaking30.html

Man awaits results of 30 Leaving subjects

ELAINE EDWARDS

A man from Waterford is hoping to set a record tomorrow when he receives the results of the 30 subjects he sat in this year’s Leaving Cert.

Eoin Jackson took on the massive challenge to help raise funds for the education project he helps to run for early school leavers.

He hopes to have passed a minimum of 23 subjects and a maximum of 28 – 20 of them at higher level.

Mr Jackson teaches at the XLc Project, a family-run school established by his mother Nuala Jackson in 1998.

To date, it has put about 700 early school leavers from the southeast and other parts of the country through the Leaving Cert and Junior Cert exams.

Mr Jackson claims the methods used by the project to be unique. “They are based around mutual respect. The most telling endorsement of the project lies in the outcomes.”

Each year the small semi-voluntary staff puts an average of 70 students through the State exams, and the pass rate stands at between 86 per cent and 97 per cent annually. “These figures tend to astound teachers who have dealt with the students in their former schools, and who would not have considered that student capable of passing a Leaving Cert,” Mr Jackson says.

“Under the XLc pedagogy, we operate at a level where the student is always experiencing success . . . and once they’ve succeeded, the buzz of achievement becomes addictive, and they then want to do better.

“In this way we build up confidence and ability until the student is ready to tackle the Junior or Leaving Cert.”

Mr Jackson said the project “unfortunately” falls between stools at a bureaucratic level and that it has not received mainstream funding.

His mother Nuala, a former nun, told The Irish Times in 2008 that the school’s motto was to “ignore the failures and reward success”, which was the opposite of a normal education system which always said “could do better”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Legend! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Hope you achieved your goal Lamph.

By the way, I sent you a PM that may lead to some benefit to your school. Please have a read and let me know. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

well done eoin, great result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JD89

thats an amazing achievement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Holy Jesus
    The full list of subjects, including self-taught ancient biblical Hebrew studies, was: English, Irish (ordinary), French (o), German (o), Spanish (o), Italian (o), Russian (o), Japanese (o), Swedish (o), Maths, Applied Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Agricultural Science, Home Economics, Economics, Business Studies, Accounting, Religion, Classical Studies, History, Geography, Art, Music, Construction Studies, Engineering, Design Communication Graphics, and Technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Well done, your mam taught me in Waterpark years ago - she was (is) an absolute genius and was never fully appreciated down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think you should repeat :)

Seriously though, great achievement. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

English, Irish, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Japanese & Swedish...

He's either a genius or a cunning linguist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Congratulations Eoin, you must never want to see a Leaving Cert paper in your life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Amazing stuff Eoin... has your project got a website? I'd love to read a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Fair play man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Good work and lots of publicity today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

kensutz wrote: »
    Good work and lots of publicity today :)
    Indeed. Saw him on TV3 News earlier, and it's even one of the main news stories on the Yahoo! homepage. Direct link:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100818/tuk-biology-teacher-sits-30-subjects-e1cd776.html

• Haha fair play. I didn't realise half those subjects were even available. Congrats Eoin!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Tony_Yeboah

Good God man! Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Fair play to him. Great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

What maths teacher would fail Applied Maths?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

ancient biblical Hebrew??? what the hell is that. Fair play to him

Advertisement