Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Shopping

Options
  • 07-08-2010 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

As the title suggests: I'm a student (big surprise ;)) moving to Galway in September. Wondering where the best place to shop is?
    The cheapest and a good range of stuff. I mean general grocery shopping by the way :)
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

You have quite a choice, there's the usual Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl, Aldi, Super Valu have good deals on stuff every week, they are all pretty good, I tend to go with Tesco and Lidl with a bit of Super Valu thrown in... most of these shops are on the Headford Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Joyces Knocknacarra

Just a tip for you- writing 2 instead of to nearly made me not reply

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP I've corrected your English. See me after class ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

If you don't have a car it depends where you will be living. What I usually do is shop for my veg and fruit in terryland fruit and veg, go into N17 groceries and see if they have anything on my list for a good price and get it. I get my meat from a butcher and then whatever's left gets bought in tesco as they always have everything I want and I don't have to go to another shop all week, that's how I waste money!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Das Kitty wrote: »
    If you don't have a car it depends where you will be living. What I usually do is shop for my veg and fruit in terryland fruit and veg, go into N17 groceries and see if they have anything on my list for a good price and get it. I get my meat from a butcher and then whatever's left gets bought in tesco as they always have everything I want and I don't have to go to another shop all week, that's how I waste money!

Jaysus how long does it take you to do your shopping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Clean out your freezer and presses in your home house before you come to galway and every town you go home. If your home house is anything like mine; half it won't be missed. If you are house hunting check out for a big freezer as every now and again the likes of Dunnes to good offers on Pizzas and Chicken, etc. You could stock up. Get your Jacks Roll in College. I find Dunnes better from Tesco because Tesco have all these really nice foods that you dont really need but the little voices in your head make you buy them. If you dont have one invest in a sandwich toaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Wompa1 wrote: »

those shops are all beside each other.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Wompa1 wrote: »

About an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Well if you're going to be like that EI111, write correctly yourself!! What's with the - attached to the word you???

If you're going to use a dash, don't attach it to a word or letter and then pull someone else up on their grammar/spelling!!
    :p:D:rolleyes:

EI111 wrote: »
    Joyces Knocknacarra

Just a tip for you- writing 2 instead of to nearly made me not reply

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Not really pulling them up for spelling or grammar, pulling them up for nonsense textspeak and letting them know the truth that I nearly didn't reply because it just devalued their post

I'm not too pushed by bad grammar to be honest, textspeak is a whole different issue thank you very much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Aldi & Lidl are cheap for most things. Don't be afraid of the brands you've never heard of - I find a lot of Lidl/Aldi stuff nicer than the standard Irish brands.

I've recently been completely turned off Dunnes. It's always been where I headed for the stuff I couldn't get in Lidl, but I've started going to Tesco because it's cheaper and they have more choice, especially in Tesco branded things. For example, they have more kinds of pasta, and they have several kinds of whole wheat pasta under the Tesco brand, wheras Dunnes only sell Roma brand whole wheat spaghetti. This is just one example, obviously.

The main thing to shopping on the cheap is planning, though. Decide what you're going to eat for the week, make a list, and buy only that.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Cathal O

Brilliant people ..thanks a million
    yea i think that the main thing i will have to do is to make a list and shop that way instead of browsing and shoping as i go along...its a lot easier to loose (drinking) money that way:rolleyes:
    to answer another persons question ..im based in corrib village and i will have my bike with me so i will be doing the old fashoned s- put shopping over the handle bars haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

You could purchase all of your food from the Tesco value range but you will die after a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

JOYCES often have some good deals, particularly booze, pizza, noodles, anything from green isle coated in breadcrumbs, other student fodder!

But always check your receipt as sometimes the price reductions don't appear when scanned.

Think there's a big thread on here about this particular issue.

Xiney wrote: »
    Aldi & Lidl are cheap for most things. Don't be afraid of the brands you've never heard of - I find a lot of Lidl/Aldi stuff nicer than the standard Irish brands.

I've recently been completely turned off Dunnes. It's always been where I headed for the stuff I couldn't get in Lidl, but I've started going to Tesco because it's cheaper and they have more choice, especially in Tesco branded things. For example, they have more kinds of pasta, and they have several kinds of whole wheat pasta under the Tesco brand, wheras Dunnes only sell Roma brand whole wheat spaghetti. This is just one example, obviously.

This must depend on what dunnes you are shopping in, because I saw at least two different wholewheat pasta brands in Westside dunnes today. Not trying to be a pain, but I'm sure that every outlet does not stock the same stuff. I don't like the Tesco in Galway tbh, its a lot smaller and older than other ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Cathal O

I don't like the Tesco in Galway tbh, its a lot smaller and older than other ones.

isnt there a new one opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Decide what you're going to eat for the week, make a list, and buy only that.

+1 for most of that: Lidl/Adli prices leave the others dead in the water. (Even compared to budget brands).

The only exception is cleaning products, where Tesco's budget brand is perfectly good and wins hands down.

The new Tesco's going in Oranmore, won't be much use to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Aldi and Lidl but Tesco and Dunnes' offers are worth checking out. If you sign up for online shopping (delivered) on Tesco's website you can make grocery lists online to check prices on stuff and look at the offers. What I did recently is I got a week's shopping for me and boyfriend done for under 40 euro at Lidl and just hung on to the receipt to go off it againn in weeks to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

A quick glance at The advertiser on Thursday will give you a good idea of promotions in Joyces/Tesco/Dunnes but I've recently switched to Lidl. Not encountered something yet that's of any lesser quality than named competitors. Also if going to a Lidl/Aldi make sure to try the brands you don't know. Not much point traipsing out there to buy Colgate/Barry's tea(even though they are cheaper) when there are alternatives.

As Xiney said, lists are the way to go. You'll throw everything in otherwise. Work out what you need and just get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

i usually always shop in tesco but i am thinking about changing to aldi because tesco have upped their prices on the sly again!
    As if i wouldn't notice *shakes fist*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

If your located at corrib village, you have two options. Head across the bridge to Tesco and stock up on supplies. Or head over to west side to Aldi and stock up. Both would be equal distances from you.

If this is your first time moving away from home. I strongly recommended making a shopping list and decided on what your going to eat for the week, what supplies you need and stick to it. Otherwise you will see a massive black hole in your wallet.

Down the road(opposite the college) there is a Centra that will have frozen pizzas and other various quick items in case you seem to be out of some food supplies from the night before, or your not inserted in cooking a full fledge dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

swine wrote: »
    A quick glance at The advertiser on Thursday will give you a good idea of promotions in Joyces/Tesco/Dunnes but I've recently switched to Lidl. Not encountered something yet that's of any lesser quality than named competitors. Also if going to a Lidl/Aldi make sure to try the brands you don't know. Not much point traipsing out there to buy Colgate/Barry's tea(even though they are cheaper) when there are alternatives.

As Xiney said, lists are the way to go. You'll throw everything in otherwise. Work out what you need and just get that.

Actually the Advertiser is pretty useless as the only city shop that advertises is Joyces and sometimes N17. Dunnes, Tesco and all the rest don't use them anymore.

The Sunday nationals are your best bet for deals in the bigger places like Dunnes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

JOYCES often have some good deals, particularly booze, pizza, noodles, anything from green isle coated in breadcrumbs, other student fodder!

But always check your receipt as sometimes the price reductions don't appear when scanned.

Think there's a big thread on here about this particular issue.

Joyces is way too far out for most students. As a student its N17>Tesco>Aldi (well for me anyway)

In Lidl get the Quark Strudel and have it for dinner every day, thank me later. (also apple or custard in Aldi)

For washing up liquid, don't be fooled by the cheap brands. Complete false economy. Fairy liquid is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A tip if you're going by bike. A backpack can hold much more stuff and is easier to bike with.
    From Corrib Village probably Aldi/N17/Dunnes is closest for main shopping. Just across the bridge.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    In Lidl get the Quark Strudel and have it for dinner every day, thank me later. (also apple or custard in Aldi)

For washing up liquid, don't be fooled by the cheap brands. Complete false economy. Fairy liquid is where it's at.

Do you know any shops around the town that sell quark or similar products under a different name? (I understand that many east european countries have their own versions with different names).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Bob_Harris wrote: »

I find the concentrated washing up liquid from Lidl just as good as fairy.

But Lyon's tea & colgate toothpaste I will not compromise on.

Do you know any shops around the town that sell quark or similar products under a different name? (I understand that many east european countries have their own versions with different names).

Nope sorry.
    I find the concentrated washing up liquid from Lidl just as good as fairy.

Aldi's or Lidl's washing up liquid congealed on me one day so I feel out with it.

Advertisement