Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Equipment

Options
  • 07-08-2010 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭

If I were to become a customer of UPC would I be tied to using there cable modem?

I am currently using ADSL2+ connection with Smart & can use any modem\router of my choice but UPC is via cable as opposed to phone line so is there such a thing as third party cable modem\router one can purchase to use with UPC or does it have to be their supplied equipment?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If I were to become a customer of UPC would I be tied to using there cable modem?

I am currently using ADSL2+ connection with Smart & can use any modem\router of my choice but UPC is via cable as opposed to phone line so is there such a thing as third party cable modem\router one can purchase to use with UPC or does it have to be their supplied equipment?

-

You must use their modem, but it can be bridged and used with amother router. This doesn't work if you need the phone option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Spear wrote: »
    You must use their modem, but it can be bridged and used with amother router. This doesn't work if you need the phone option though.

I believe they have a modem\router combined now (one box). Is that correct?

When you say it doesn't work if you need the phone option, what exactly do you mean? I have a friend who's with UPC and has the two box setup (black Motorola Modem and white Netgear Router) it has the UPC phone connected to the Motorola?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I believe they have a modem\router combined now (one box). Is that correct?

When you say it doesn't work if you need the phone option, what exactly do you mean? I have a friend who's with UPC and has the two box setup (black Motorola Modem and white Netgear Router) it has the UPC phone connected to the Motorola?

-

Currently they give out the Cisco EPC 2425 combined modem and router as the default. The phone service goes through their modem, and bridging stops this aspect from working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

i signed up for the 5 meg option a few weeks ago, and specifically requested the older scientific atlanta modem so that I'd have more control with my own router

Advertisement