Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meenagopag

Options
  • 07-08-2010 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭

Is there a website/ local historian giving any kind of information about this small place, abandoned in 1953?
    My mothers folk - Gallagher - lived there for a long while, having moved up from Baltoney.
    Tapiadh lieve.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Where is it exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

hiorta wrote: »
    Is there a website/ local historian giving any kind of information about this small place, abandoned in 1953?
    My mothers folk - Gallagher - lived there for a long while, having moved up from Baltoney.
    Tapiadh lieve.

I'm pretty sure a place with that name never existed. It would show up in the census or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Try Meenagoppoge.

Here is a link to the 1911 census for a Meenagoppoge near Dunlewy.

As you can see there was a Gallagher family recorded (although it is not exactly a rare name in this part of the world :) )

muffler wrote: »
    Where is it exactly?

The one I'm thinking of is at the SE end of Altan Lough, just off the road between Glenveagh and Errigal.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If it's any help to anyone the Council's Townland index can be viewed here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

Thanks for all your help, folks. Yes that is where it is, just behind Errigal at Dunlewey and inland from Falcarragh.
    There is what looks like an artificial loch/ reservoir with a square 'keep' type of building in the water itself.
    Grateful thanks.

You might be interested in the photos in this thread.

Advertisement