Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get change of ownership certificate.

• 07-08-2010 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm buying a car at present (privately). Where can I pick up a blank change of ownership certificate?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Usually the info on the new owner is documented on the VLC that is then sent to Shannon and updated.

Buying a vehicle registered after 1 January 1993
    If you privately buy a vehicle that was first registered after this date, the seller must fill in your details on part B of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate (Vehicle Registration Certificate for post-April 2004 vehicles) and return it to the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division of the Department of Transport. The new details will be registered and the amended certificate will be sent to you. The seller will give the Vehicle Registration Certificate for a pre-April 2004 vehicle to you when you buy the vehicle.

Is it lost?

Replacing lost/misplaced documents
    It is possible to obtain replacement documents associated with changes to vehicle ownership. List of documents and the cost of their replacement is as follows;
    Document Replacement cost
    Registration book/certificate €12
    Vehicle licensing certificate €12
    Tax disc €6
    To obtain replacement documents, download and complete form RF134 (pdf) and have this form witnessed by a member of the Garda Siochana at a Garda station. Forward your completed form with the appropriate fee to your Motor Tax Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭looking4advice

I have the old certificate but as far as i know i need a blank one so that the seller can put down his name as the seller. He was down as the purchaser the last time. It is only a few year old so pre 93 doesn't apply. I don't think that i send the old one to shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

The seller puts your information on the back of the log book, you sign it, he signs it, you date it and send it to the vehicle registration office in Shannon. You should get a new log book in a couple of weeks. You don't need a change of ownership form as long as he has the log book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just to be clear, seller is the one posting the logbook to Shannon, unless you both go to the post box.
    (this is so that the buyer doesn't take the car and keeps it in the sellers name while racking up parking tickets and whatnot)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

biko wrote: »
    Just to be clear, seller is the one posting the logbook to Shannon, unless you both go to the post box.
    (this is so that the buyer doesn't take the car and keeps it in the sellers name while racking up parking tickets and whatnot)

+1

OP, bring with you among other things :
    1. pen
    2. 55c stamp
    3. small envelope

this will allow both of you to fill out the VLC together, sign it, and post it off together, this ensures :
    1. the buyer doesnt get stung for unpaid tolls, fines etc
    2. the buyer gets the VLC in their name ASAP

you do not need a blank change of ownership form.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

Sorry, I worded my reply badly, I meant to say that the seller posts the VLC off. And if he's a bit slow doing it, a parking fine or two in his name should speed him up :D.

I have the old certificate but as far as i know i need a blank one so that the seller can put down his name as the seller. He was down as the purchaser the last time. It is only a few year old so pre 93 doesn't apply. I don't think that i send the old one to shannon.

His name will be on the current VLC (as the purchaser) so Shannon will automatically know that he is the seller this time. So no need for a blank change of ownership. When you send the old one to Shannon, you will get a VLC, it will have your details as the purchaser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ncmc wrote: »
    Sorry, I worded my reply badly, I meant to say that the seller posts the VLC off. And if he's a bit slow doing it, a parking fine or two in his name should speed him up :D.
    They'll come back to you, the date of change of ownership on the form is the one that counts.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But they will cause hassle for the seller in the meantime especially if he has been tardy in sending away the VRC. It has not been a VLC for a few years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Haddockman wrote: »
    But they will cause hassle for the seller in the meantime especially if he has been tardy in sending away the VRC. It has not been a VLC for a few years now.
    Easier by far just to post the thing off together.;) The VLC and the VRC are two separate documents, the VLC is the one you need for tax/ownership changes, whereas the VRC was just proof that the car had been registered. I don't think they even issue VRCs any more?

Edit: You're right, i'm wrong. Just had a look at my 'VLC' and it says 'Registration Certificate' on it. When did this happen?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Advertisement