Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vivitar lens?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i didn't know they made anything BUT lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I knew they made cameras, but never actually seen stand alone lenses by them.

You reckon this lens is anyway good at all? It's full manual, but that wouldn't bother me once it was sharp and dependable. For the price I'm thinking, probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Not very fast though,is it? I'd hold out for a Nikon 50mm f1.8 if I were you. :)

Yeah, was thinking might want more than f/4.5 at 50mm, as it probably needs to be stepped down further for it's sweet spot, if it has one.

I just have a few euro in paypal itching to be used :D Will wait for enough for a 50mm me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I have a a Vivitar tripod.. it was $39.95 at a Wal-Mart in the U.S... and it's probably worth about.. $39.95.. very cheap, a bit flimsy, but not unusable. (It savings grace is that it has a hook at the bottom of the central post to hang stuff off of in order to add weight & stabilise the tripod.)
    I'd certainly try & find reviews of such a lens. (It doesn't sound great.. but it does appear to be very VERY V E R Y cheap.)

• Advertisement

Yeah, I figured if I found a few half decent reviews it'd be worth it as I don't own a kit lens [borrowed one for the time being] and it would be a nice back up wide - mid range until I get something better. But I know once I get a 50mm that'll be on the body most times apart from when I need a zoom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

They make great flashes.

Not too sure about that lens though its pretty slow for a 50mm.

Aperture blades look like they could produce some nice bokeh though.

It's not just a 50mm though, it's 18-50 so it would be fast enough at the wide end. f/4.5 wouldn't be fast enough for what I want, indoor portraits using natural window light, that kinda thing. If it was any good though I'm sure there'd be reviews of it around and it wouldn't be that cheap, even used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Took a punt on a Vivitar 28mm f2.8 in an Olypmus OM mount the other day on eBay. Only cost €20 so not expecting it to be a world-beater but needed something wider than the 50 1.8 I currently have on my OM-2n.

Expecting it to arrive Monday but it'll be a week or two before I finish the roll in the camera at the moment so might be a bit late for a review?

Ah, if it was a 28mm f/2.8 I'd pounce on it! :D

How do you narrow down searches to great cheapies like that? I'm just using a pot-luck method

I am the leading bidder on an old 50mm f/1.8 but I don't expect to be for very long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Don't bid until the auction's within 2 minutes of ending and search regularly ;)

That'll be around this time tomorrow night, can never seem to find the good ones that are ending in the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

I have a Vivitar 500mm mirror lens- quality is good, but it is very difficult to focus- and 500mm doesn't give a lot of depth of Field. Vivitar and Cosina co branded the same lenses- their 19-35mm used to be popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

That'll be around this time tomorrow night, can never seem to find the good ones that are ending in the next few hours.

I find the easiest thing to use is an eBay sniper, something like EZ Sniper or Gixen - you can give it the maximum you're willing to pay, and it won't start bidding until the last couple of minutes before it closes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I have a vintage Kiron 105mm f2.8 macro manual lens. Fantastic quality and super sharp. I believe the same lens was sold as a rebranded Vivitar and also as a Lester Dine. Highly recommended. :)

I find the easiest thing to use is an eBay sniper, something like EZ Sniper or Gixen - you can give it the maximum you're willing to pay, and it won't start bidding until the last couple of minutes before it closes

Will have a look into those cheers. [btw your lens is still safe :D ] Basically looking for something for when I've to return it.

Advertisement