Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired of paying 29.99€ for 12 protein bars ? TRY THIS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Oh right! :o

What protein do you normally use?

I use MyProtein's Natural Chocolate. It contains sucralose.

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, must read the label again though as some companies are creative in what they label 'natural' and 'artificial'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Bassfish wrote: »
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, must read the label again though as some companies are creative in what they label 'natural' and 'artificial'!

Gold Standard contains sucralose and acesulfame potassium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My whey has sweetners. I dont care, that's not unhealthy in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

Too much water might be the case yeah, the batter was very sticky before going into the freezer

May try again tonight with a bit less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

Second batch lastnight went much better, realised the problem when I re-read the recipe :pac:

Was adding water willy-nilly the first time around, only lastnight did I notice the 120-150mls part.

Came out with a really nice texture this time and taste great, will definitely be using again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

I have been using the op’s recipe for a while and its great, thanks, but results can vary due to my cooking skills.
    I found this recipe recently and the resulting bar is less messy, its more of a stiffer flapjack type consistency, theres less ingediients too so its easier for me!

400g uncooked oatmeal
    340g peanut butter
    250ml coconut cream (not the same as coconut milk or creamed coconut, coconut cream is €1.29 for 160ml in tesco)
    150g whey powder

This makes 14 – 16 snickers size bars and they are very filling.

Method, combine the whey powder with the coconut cream and whisk until smooth, add peanut butter and whisk again, finally add porridge and mix well. Flatten mixture into a dish and refrigerate overnight.

I cant post url's or pictures as a new user but full details and pictures are at neilarey.com/recipes/homemade-no-bake-protein-bars

worked out great, a tad dry.
    might add more peanut butter next time and less oats

so simple though

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

Nice work, thank you. I'll definitely try this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So, does anyone still make these? :)

I've been making them consistently for the past couple of years. I thought I would have gotten sick of them by now, but i haven't! I make a batch of 8 bars and keep them in the freezer. I normally have one in work each day.

Lately I've been swapping the peanut butter for almond butter, and whole almonds for whole hazelnuts. Very tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Really got to give these a try.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

So, does anyone still make these? :)

I've been making them consistently for the past couple of years. I thought I would have gotten sick of them by now, but i haven't! I make a batch of 8 bars and keep them in the freezer. I normally have one in work each day.

Lately I've been swapping the peanut butter for almond butter, and whole almonds for whole hazelnuts. Very tasty!

every time I make them I go mad and have them eaten within 2 days

i tried again late last year, hoping i'd have more self control.

no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

What could I use instead of a protein powder? Not necessarily looking to make a protein bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Omega28 wrote: »
    What could I use instead of a protein powder? Not necessarily looking to make a protein bar

More oats, ground (fine or chunky) nuts, dark chocolate, dried fruit....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

juke wrote: »
    More oats, ground (fine or chunky) nuts, dark chocolate, dried fruit....

This is what I use but I oven cook them,get a bag of mixed nuts blend them up to powder mix them with porridge oats and mixed fruit like raisins break up some dark chocolate into tiny chips if you want add in honey to make stick together roll it in a pyrex dish and cook it for 15 mins cut it into bars and there you have flapjacks porridge and nuts to snack on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭worded

Video link to a recipe for power bars from the happy pear

https://thehappypear.ie/protein-bars/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭worded

worded wrote: »
    Video link to a recipe for power bars from the happy pear

https://thehappypear.ie/protein-bars/

JUN
    Protein Bars
    Make some tasty healthy snacks with this no bake recipe for homemade Protein Bars! These mighty tasty fells are gluten free, dairy free and sugar free. They are great as energy bars too, packed with lots of seeds and other tasty bits, they will keep hunger at bay. All you need is a food processor or blender and a mixing bowl. They last nearly 2 weeks in the fridge but you will probably have eaten them long before then!!

Ingredients:
    Dry ingredients
    120g pumpkin seeds
    50g desiccated coconut
    50g sesame seed
    80g hemp seeds/ ground linseeds
    50g protein powder
    40g chia seeds
    4 tbsp goji berries (30-40g)

Wet ingredients
    250g chopped dates
    6 tbsp coconut oil
    4 tbsp cacao powder
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
    Soak dates in boiling water first (can soak them in mint tea or any type of flavoured tea to add another depth of flavour)

In a food processor, pulse all the dry ingredients. Dont over process them as you want a bit of bite still in them! (We blitzed them for 30 seconds or so)

Place mixture in a bowl and set aside

Drain dates from water & add all wet ingredients to the food processor and mix until smooth. This might take some tim, and if your blender isn’t strong enough you may have to scrap down the sides and/or add a little water.

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, add oats and stir until well combined

Spread batter evenly into 30x18cm flapjack tray

Place in the fridge for 30 mins

Cut into bars, and store in an air tight container. If you wrap in baking parchment they don’t stick!

Post navigation
    ← Superfood Fudge
    Vietnamese Curry →

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Is the OP one of the most thanked ever? Haven't made these yet but very well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is the OP one of the most thanked ever? Haven't made these yet but very well done.

I've seen some posts thanked thousands of times but near 400 is a lot alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Hitting the kitchen today, thought it was worth the bump as it took me ages to find this legendary thread.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Is there any natural ingredient that could be added for protein instead of protein powder??

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    Is there any natural ingredient that could be added for protein instead of protein powder??

Protein powder is pretty natural.

It's a by-product of cheese making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Whey is a milk product, about as natural as you can get.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

I made a spreadsheet for changing the quantities and nutritional info if anyone makes different size bars (like I do). Ye might find it useful. Red cells are inputs. If you just change the bar size and number, it will give you the nutritional info and quantities for your recipe.

vZ9Dr7I.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone got a photo of their finished product?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

muffinn wrote: »
    Here's a recipe for tasty, chewy, snickers-like home made protein bars.

What you need:

70g good quality non added sugar peanut butter (2 tablespoonfuls)
    180g whey protein powder (6 scoops, I used chocolate flavour)
    90g rolled oats (around 3 WPC scoops)
    30g ground flaxseed (3 tablespoons, preferably freshly ground)
    20g maple syrup (1 tablespoon)
    30g whole almonds (around 25 almonds)
    120-150ml of water

80937266.jpg

Combine peanut butter, whey protein, rolled oats and flaxseed in one large bowl and mix it together. Start adding water and keep mixing everything using your hand (the best way to do).

17680133.jpg

Keep mixing until there is nothing dry left in the bowl and sticky batter is formed. Now add maple syrup with almonds and mix it thoroughly.

33183198.jpg

The next thing to do is to form it in a flat shape. To make it easier you can use ziplocked freezer bag, fold it in half and spread the batter evenly.

68188944.jpg

Now put it in the freezer for 1 to 1,5h and cut into 7 equal bars.

27722359.jpg

Each of them yields:

266 kcal

25,7g of protein
    12g of fat (of which 7,1g monounsaturated and 2,8 polyunsaturated fat)
    12,5g of carbs (of which 3,2g dietary fiber)

I wrap them individually in tin foil and store in fridge.
    Believe me, these bars taste amazing, are cheap, packed with protein, full of healthy fats and low in carbs. They are perfect as a meal replacement on the road.

Enjoy!
    love it, will be trying this out, thanks for such an amazing recipe, new go to snack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone able to advise on whether these would be suitable for someone with high cholestrol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone able to advise on whether these would be suitable for someone with high cholestrol?
    I have high cholesterol, will be swapping out the peanut butter for almond butter, Hoping someone else will give us a heads up on what changes we can make, but it is animal fats that are the ones I am watchful of, so could swop the whey for something else

goat2 wrote: »
    I have high cholesterol, will be swapping out the peanut butter for almond butter, Hoping someone else will give us a heads up on what changes we can make, but it is animal fats that are the ones I am watchful of, so could swop the whey for something else

Whey (protein) isolate would be your best bet if you're watchful of fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

v good post, any way of reducing the carbs to suit a keto diet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

copeyhagen wrote: »
    v good post, any way of reducing the carbs to suit a keto diet?
    use ground almonds instead of oats?

Advertisement