Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blind people please answer.

• 07-08-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Im hoping theres some blind people here to answer because this has been bothering me (Obviously with help because blind people cant read forums).
    I visited the aquarium under the london eye last year(its in london in case anyone didnt know). At the time I had just had a fish tank installed at home and was looking for sea monsters to fill it. Tentacled, multi-limbed, slithering creatures which are entirely at home only when attacking submarines or chucken1 were what i was after, and I thought of visiting the place where such things as giant octopodes (I notice that microsoft is not only unhappy with the correct plural but also accepts octopi, which those of you who like annoying people will know is in fact wrong). might glare at me through toughened and confusingly focused glass struck me as too exciting for words. As it turned out, Zone 12 of the aquarium was irksomely short on invertebrates of any sort, and the highlight of the afternoon turned out to be looking at an enormous american lady squashed against the glass at both sides of the narrow shark coridor.
    I was throughout my tour of largely similar fish trying my best to read the little plaques next to each tank, which told me and other curious visitors the name, feeding habits and musical tastes of whatever was diving, swimming or floating upside down inside. About halfway through this fabricated subterranean labyrinth, my conscious mind suddenly latched onto an oddity. I realised that underneath the descriptions of the various natant ichthyoids there was a translation of what I presume to be the same information in braille. For a while this seemed quite natural, and then I caught my self wondering: on average, how many blind people a year visit the london aquarium? Now I dont wish to sound insensitive but I imagine there wouldnt be any.
    I would welcome any answers from blind people to a couple of questions that have been bugging me since. FIRSTLY HOW DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE BRAILE SIGN IS LOCATED? This must be relatively straightforward in such places as lifts, but what about in an alien envoironment? If alone in a train toilet, how does one find braile instructions for the use of obscurred or unusual soap dispensors or toilet flushers? That sounds like an unpleasent and unhygenic search to be undertaking while bumping around on a train. MY SECOND CONCERN, CLEARLY, IS IF THE BLIND PERSON FOUND THE BRAILLE IN THE AQUARIUM, OF WHAT EARTLY USE WOULD IT BE? The london aquarium seems to be an experience ill suited to visitors with severe visual challenges. It occured to me that the braille signs, if located, would at best provide the blind visitor with no more to take with him from his afternoon than a list of fish. A list of fish.

PS. The aquarium in lahinch is much cheaper and much better than the london one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's for far sighted people who have forgotten their glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steve_kav

are you telling me that every far sighted person learns braille?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

WHAT, WHAT!!!
    Cant hear ya, hang on i will get me glasses!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

steve_kav wrote: »
    are you telling me that every far sighted person learns braille?
    I can't honestly believe you fell for that one :D :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Tentacled, multi-limbed, slithering creatures which are entirely at home only when attacking submarines or chucken1 were what i was after,

2473567841_50e2bbbd43.jpg?v=0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

steve_kav wrote: »
    Im hoping theres some blind people here to answer because this has been bothering me (Obviously with help because blind people cant read forums).
    I visited the aquarium under the london eye last year(its in london in case anyone didnt know). At the time I had just had a fish tank installed at home and was looking for sea monsters to fill it. Tentacled, multi-limbed, slithering creatures which are entirely at home only when attacking submarines or chucken1 were what i was after, and I thought of visiting the place where such things as giant octopodes (I notice that microsoft is not only unhappy with the correct plural but also accepts octopi, which those of you who like annoying people will know is in fact wrong). might glare at me through toughened and confusingly focused glass struck me as too exciting for words. As it turned out, Zone 12 of the aquarium was irksomely short on invertebrates of any sort, and the highlight of the afternoon turned out to be looking at an enormous american lady squashed against the glass at both sides of the narrow shark coridor.
    I was throughout my tour of largely similar fish trying my best to read the little plaques next to each tank, which told me and other curious visitors the name, feeding habits and musical tastes of whatever was diving, swimming or floating upside down inside. About halfway through this fabricated subterranean labyrinth, my conscious mind suddenly latched onto an oddity. I realised that underneath the descriptions of the various natant ichthyoids there was a translation of what I presume to be the same information in braille. For a while this seemed quite natural, and then I caught my self wondering: on average, how many blind people a year visit the london aquarium? Now I dont wish to sound insensitive but I imagine there wouldnt be any.
    I would welcome any answers from blind people to a couple of questions that have been bugging me since. FIRSTLY HOW DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE BRAILE SIGN IS LOCATED? This must be relatively straightforward in such places as lifts, but what about in an alien envoironment? If alone in a train toilet, how does one find braile instructions for the use of obscurred or unusual soap dispensors or toilet flushers? That sounds like an unpleasent and unhygenic search to be undertaking while bumping around on a train. MY SECOND CONCERN, CLEARLY, IS IF THE BLIND PERSON FOUND THE BRAILLE IN THE AQUARIUM, OF WHAT EARTLY USE WOULD IT BE? The london aquarium seems to be an experience ill suited to visitors with severe visual challenges. It occured to me that the braille signs, if located, would at best provide the blind visitor with no more to take with him from his afternoon than a list of fish. A list of fish.

PS. The aquarium in lahinch is much cheaper and much better than the london one.

Too blind; didn't read.

Advertisement