Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relics of the Celtic Tiger Days

Options
  • 07-08-2010 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

For me its the Custom House Quay Shopping Centre. A completely ill-conceived idea with no footfall and selling mostly expensive rubbish. It has about 30 outlets for stores about 25 of which were occupied a few years ago. I took a walk through it a few months ago and it looks like an abandoned train station, theres about 6 stores remaining now and the only place in there I have seen busy is the noodles restaurant.

IMG_4088.JPG

This to me symbolises the last decade: Plenty of hype, extravagance and at the end of it all a glorious disaster.

What for you is perhaps the symbol of our heyday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The Spire!:mad:

spire_dublin_night.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

When I saw the title of your thread CHQ was the first place I thought of. Can't be long left for it now. On the plus side it does have the quietest Starbucks in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The noodles place is great and realy is quite successful.
    Many companies place massive orders for their staff when working late.
    It's packed every lunchtime also.

There are more then six stores open though.
    I won't list them all.

For sure though, no footfall and the stores are all selling very expensive and fancy items.
    It opened about 5 years too late

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

shame for chq , its a fantastic building steeped in history with a preservation order on it due to the way it is structured.It needs a good anchor tennent like topshop or penneys maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

dekbhoy wrote: »
    shame for chq , its a fantastic building steeped in history with a preservation order on it due to the way it is structured.It needs a good anchor tennent like topshop or penneys maybe

All the expensive kips were aimed at the up and coming young profesional yuppie types who were buying their shoe box apartments in the area. Like you said, high street shops would do better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

On the plus side it does have the quietest Starbucks in the city.

Yeah it's great :D

But I'd imagine they'll finish out their lease and close up :(

I LOVE that noodle place!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Btw is it actually called the Custom House Quay Shopping Centre?????

Is it not called the Chq Building :confused:

It's CHQ alright but realy, both are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm guessing they thought it would be similar to the Royal Exchange Building in London where the wealthy bankers and stockbrokers would drop £k's on luxury jewellery for the mrs and the gfs while kitting themselves out in the finest tailored suits.

There used to be some strange shops in there; there was one which sold ladies shoes and under wear. Hugely expensive and it always seemed to have a sale on.

There is a yoga and pilates studio in there now a few days a week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's dead as a doornail that end of town. The extension of the LUAS didn't really bring the sort of clients would be shopping in CHQ.

One chance for bringing increased numbers of punters into the area (transport wise) might be to re-route a few southside originating buses coming to the end of their route over the new bridge and end the exclusive use of Butt and O'Connell Bridges as crossing points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

driven by there loads and never seems to be anyone in the palce or any shops open in it. Wouldnt waste my time going in because im never on foot in that part of town or have a need to go there. Penneys would prob be a good anchor tennant for them so that all the broke bankers and stock brokers can go buy their socks and undies at lunch time and slip in for a starbucks. Be a good laugh louis copeland and penneys under the 1 roof

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Most of Parnell Street gets my vote. It's not that it's particulary garish or horrible, which it can be, it's just so soulless and hollow. The Cineworld/Woolshed building does nothing for me and the horrible exterior of the hotel and shopping centre around the Moore Street entrance. It may not be a relic of the Celtic Tiger in the sense of that shopping centre, but it's ugly functionality of just building things does it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

IMAX cinema - good riddance!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Nolanger wrote: »
    IMAX cinema - good riddance!

Why, they've finally started to release films properly on IMAX now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,372 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Temple bar and superpubs , hopefully the majority will be bankrupted over the next few years and something more useful will rise from the ashes:D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

amdublin wrote: »
    Btw is it actually called the Custom House Quay Shopping Centre?????

Is it not called the Chq Building :confused:

I believe the original plan for the CHQ building was to house the National Gallery of Modern Art but CJ decided it would be better out in Kilmainham Hospital. Total mistake, the gallery would have been perfect there.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

There has never been any proper marketing for the CHQ. I work 5 mins walk away for the last 10 years and only found out it was a shopping mall 3 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

I believe the original plan for the CHQ building was to house the National Gallery of Modern Art but CJ decided it would be better out in Kilmainham Hospital. Total mistake, the gallery would have been perfect there.

Agree with you there, it would of been perfect for the National Gallery of Modern Art.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

For me, the biggest waste of money was the Millenium Clock. The bloody thing didn't even work!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Heading out towards the Naas Road from Inchicore when you reach the traffic lights where the luas heads up the canal, there is a 6-7 story apartment block built on what was about an acre of wasteland....hidious is not the word for this eyesore and it deffo passes as a relic form the Celtic Tiger.
    It located beside the lock gate on the right facing away from inchicore, cannot miss it!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Heading out towards the Naas Road from Inchicore when you reach the traffic lights where the luas heads up the canal, there is a 6-7 story apartment block built on what was about an acre of wasteland....hidious is not the word for this eyesore and it deffo passes as a relic form the Celtic Tiger.
    It located beside the lock gate on the right facing away from inchicore, cannot miss it!!

Are any of the apartments in that thing sold? It doesn't look like it.

Is that the building shaped like a triangle? You know what I mean

I think it's still unoccupied.
    As you get the Luas to Blackhorse you can see it from quite a distance away.
    I've never seen lights or any activity there

Horrible looking building.
    Probably will be let or sold off as social housing

Edit, here is a pic
    72.450.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

arrogant, finger-clicking cuunts who think they invented money, now driving around in '08 land rovers and no money to pay the road tax. I'm not knocking anyone for making a few bob but, Jesus the arrogance!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,372 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

arrogant, finger-clicking cuunts who think they invented money, now driving around in '08 land rovers and no money to pay the road tax. I'm not knocking anyone for making a few bob but, Jesus the arrogance!

he he!, I do smirk when I see an 06-08 Merc 500 / over sized Landrover , the thought crosses my mind, could they buy the same car now? :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Is the Gas Works building by the canal fully occupied? What about Soencer Dock; has that taken off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

fontanalis wrote: »
    Is the Gas Works building by the canal fully occupied? What about Soencer Dock; has that taken off?

Spencer Dock was fairly fully the last time I was down there. Truly soulless apartments though.

As someone mentioned earlier the truly dreadful superpubs that sprung up are one of the worst legacies of the whole era. Loud, boorish, uncomfortable drinking shops.

See Berlin for how to have a thriving pub and club culture that doesn't require 14 plasma tv screens showing sky sports news on every screen and a selection of 5 mass-produced beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

every time I drive through Adamstown I get really depressed, the place is like a ghost town and it's a shame because it's actually quite nice, though completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

phasers wrote: »
    every time I drive through Adamstown I get really depressed, the place is like a ghost town and it's a shame because it's actually quite nice, though completely unnecessary.

One of the few places in Ireland that the infrastructure such as trains and schools was put in place before the people came and it ended up backfiring. I'd say it could be 20 years before it reaches the population they had expected

Adamstown was a good project, I hope it's not left to decay and become run down.
    A well planned project and it never reached its potential.

Maybe one day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Greatest relic of the celtic tiger days IMHO are Range Rovers. They look sooo tacky now.

Advertisement