Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live yeast

Options
  • 07-08-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Anyone know any bakers in town that would give over some live yeast to make bread. No go with Griffins (and since it's live it's illegal to sell). I know I can brew up and feed my own batch but just wondering...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

-illegal? live yeast? :eek: are you serious? If thats true i cant tell you where you can buy it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know the answer but did a quick search and came with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

biko wrote: »
    I don't know the answer but did a quick search and came with this thread.

Many thanks Biko. I had read that thread but was looking for local Galway City info since this thread is strictly for Galway info and chat right? :rolleyes:

Try polish shop in Liosban (Papu).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I think the Oslo bar in Salthill brew some beer in-house, they might give you a bit. Not sure if it would be good for bread, but it would probably work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 fatleomessi

It's available in Evergreen but the amount they can sell is controlled as it can be used in the production of explosives..

Good thing is that once you get a starter culture going, you'll always have it..

I make my own pizza dough and bread from time to time to -all with dry yeast and it works just fine and its easier! Why you want to bother with live? :rolleyes:

thanks for the fast replies & suggestions (asking in Oslo is good, and any excuse to have a Bay Ale when in there!).. and Maja, I've tried dried packet stuff and it hasn't worked for me, so some advice online was to try live, either from a baker or to brew up your own concoction

-yeah, its still very popular in Poland anyway, so they should have it in polish shop if you cant find find it anywhere else. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

jkforde wrote: »
    thanks for the fast replies & suggestions (asking in Oslo is good, and any excuse to have a Bay Ale when in there!).. and Maja, I've tried dried packet stuff and it hasn't worked for me, so some advice online was to try live, either from a baker or to brew up your own concoction

You're doing it wrong if you the packets didn't work. Also Oslo will most likely have brewer's yeast which isn't suitable for baking so there's not much point in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

All the health food shops sell it.

All the health food shops sell it.

oh right, so it aint illegal to sell it then! my bad, so no skulking around trying to find a dodgy dealer needed then! thanks for all info.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Many thanks Biko. I had read that thread but was looking for local Galway City info since this thread is strictly for Galway info and chat right? :rolleyes:

Yes, but it shows you that's it's not illegal and also that it's possible to make your own.

OP, did you find a place to buy live yeast ? Someone else was asking me about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I thought this was illegal too until i read this. I had NEVER used dry yeast before when i set out baking ehhh...bread things...one day and i failed spectacularly (I still ate them as I could not admit failure) The mistake I did was use 37deg milk (as you would with fresh yeast), the milk / water should be much hotter and 1 bag (7g) dry yeast = 50g fresh.

Dry yeast feels too much NASA technology for earth application for me, so thanks for bringing this thread up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    OP, did you find a place to buy live yeast ? Someone else was asking me about it.

I saw it in evergreene the other day, a little packet/lump in the fridge. Ask at the counter if you don't see it.

I saw it in evergreene the other day, a little packet/lump in the fridge. Ask at the counter if you don't see it.

Which branch ? (of Evergreen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

you can get yeasts in every Polish or Russian shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

It's available in Evergreen but the amount they can sell is controlled as it can be used in the production of explosives..

Bollo (X)
    Oh God, I would like someone to demonstrate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

A while ago I got 1kg from a bakers in Tuam(Garveys) - not Galway city I know but live yeast doesn't last long and doesn't like heat, so unless you use it up fast or can share it with someone...... 1Kg is a lot, I diligenlty cut up the yeast, wrapped it in clingfilm and froze it. I had read in a Darina Allen book that live yeast could be frozen. I must've done it wrong but the yeast melted when I defrosted it and was totally useless. Dried yeast works well but you need to experiment a bit with quantities. Try using less dried yeast than a recipe suggests and leave it proove for a bit longer.
    BTW never heard that live yeast was illegal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement