Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trek Madone 5.2 Bottom Bracket

• 07-08-2010 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hoping somebody out there has come across this already and can advise...

I am looking to upgrade the Ultegra SL groupset that came as standard on my Madone 5.2 to SRAM Red.

Any owners on the Boards go down this route before?

I am confused over the bottom bracket (as it is wider than most standard bikes) and reading on the internet has confused me even more. Being a Saturday, Trek Customer Service in the UK is closed for the weekend and both bike stores that I rang were no help.

I need to know what additonal bits and bobs I need (if any) in order to do this.

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

decrrrrrr wrote: »
    Hoping somebody out there has come across this already and can advise...

I am looking to upgrade the Ultegra SL groupset that came as standard on my Madone 5.2 to SRAM Red.

Any owners on the Boards go down this route before?

I am confused over the bottom bracket (as it is wider than most standard bikes) and reading on the internet has confused me even more. Being a Saturday, Trek Customer Service in the UK is closed for the weekend and both bike stores that I rang were no help.

I need to know what additonal bits and bobs I need (if any) in order to do this.

Cheers...
    Seamus who you bought the bike off will be at the Hilly 125 tomorrow.Pull up along side him and ask his advise;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

From what I remember, when you order SRAM you have choice of English, Italian or BB30, but I believe you will need a BB90 kit for SRAM which you'll need to source separately.

There are apparently two sorts, ceramic and standard. Ceramic are hugely expensive (not worth it IMO), although this is cheap enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I switched a Trek 4.7 from Ultegra triple to SRAM Rival. No issues. English bb.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I switched a Trek 4.7 from Ultegra triple to SRAM Rival. No issues. English bb.

According to the current spec sheet, the 5.2 uses a different (BB90 integrated) bottom bracket to the 4.7.

edit: this is detailed but old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Lumen wrote: »
    According to the current spec sheet, the 5.2 uses a different (BB90 integrated) bottom bracket to the 4.7.

edit: this is detailed but old.

oooh tricky. Tell you what. I'll swap my 4.7 for the 5.2 to ease your transition to Red ;)

• Advertisement

According to Park:
    Trek®
    Trek® uses a related system to the BB90. However, the bearing cups ("adapters") are molded directly into the frame. The cartridge bearings fit directly into the frame by a slip fit, not a press fit. Bearing may lift out, by can also require encouragement with a tap from the inside. The Park Tool BBT90 Bearing Removal Tool will also remove any snug bearings from the Trek design.

Ha ha. I love integrated bottom brackets. Not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Not much I can add, Lumen gave you the info on the BB.

I have a 5.5, basically the same frame as you. When it was shipped I had to do the reverse of what you're looking to do. The seller left in a Bontrager X-Lite(SRAM type) bearing set. The plastic sleeve inside was tricky to remove. The bearings came out easy.

I bought Enduro (non ceramic)bearings and press-fitted them. This allowed for Shimano compatibility. You can lightly grease the outside of the bearing to fit the socket. Obviously don't grease the inside ring or the new plastic sleeve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

However, the bearings have a tendency to become loose in the frame with use (there be play in BB when everything is set perfect). The worst BB design yet. And its not campy compatible (which fails it for me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

However, the bearings have a tendency to become loose in the frame with use (there be play in BB when everything is set perfect). The worst BB design yet. And its not campy compatible (which fails it for me).

All bearings designs in a well used road bike will develop some play after time. Its up to the owner to be aware of his/her bike and its components.

The BB90 of the Madone frame is as good or as bad as the next BB. Initial set-up is important but there should be no play thereafter. I can only assume your bearings were not properly pressed in. Did you have the rubber seals to fit over the bearings?

Re; Campy compatibility I think Trek are in for the long haul with SRAM and Shimano.

If you had a particularly bad experience then fair enough, I find mine to be super smooth and easier to maintain than the Hollowtech system on another bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

Thanks for all the repsonses.

Final story is:

- You need a new bearings kit
    - This comes from Trek as opposed to SRAM
    - For the normal bearing kit, part number is 404700
    - For the ceramic bearing kit, part number is 411814

Additional details at http://www.trekbikes.com/pdf/owners_manuals/TK10_Madoneservice_062309.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement