Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile Plan? Should I switch?

Options
  • 07-08-2010 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

I had a look at callcost.ie recently and it seems that switching to the Tesco mobile plan (porting to a new phone or sim via Tesco) would be best for me.
    Anyone have any experience of the 'Tesco Mobile' plan? Is is worth it?

P.s I'm not going to ask is it cheap because none of them are cheap!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

My mum + dad are both on tesco, no problems, they don't use mobile a lot, just a few phone calls. They never seem to use up all their free credit which expires after a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Am using it myself and can't recommend it highly enough. I'm spending €20 a month now compared to roughly €40-50 when I was with O2. Have gotten most of my family to swap over too so I get free calls and texts to them for the €20 a month as well as getting double credit. Just gotta convince the gf now and I'm sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

Hi thanks for that. I't look like a good deal. I wonder can you make international calls and texts with it and can you roam with it?
    I'll try and find out from Tesco anyway, thanks again folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

Tesco launch £6/month Sim only - 100 mins + unlimited txts in UK. Is it me or is that a cheap deal.
    It might be here soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Few things to know: for some reason you can't receive calls from 3.

you can buy credit from any tesco, post office and any shop that does 'payzone'

you can register your laser card and top up from the website or from you phone by text.

The double credit you get must be used within a month, but you other credit still stays after a month.

Phones are locked to the network like all other rtg, you need to spend 130 euro before they will give you the unlocking code, like most other providers.

that's about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Soot-fan wrote: »
    Tesco launch £6/month Sim only - 100 mins + unlimited txts in UK. Is it me or is that a cheap deal.
    It might be here soon

Doubtful as they would have to pay for O2's bill pay facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

i switched to them i am a happy camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Spooky1666

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Few things to know: for some reason you can't receive calls from 3.

you can buy credit from any tesco, post office and any shop that does 'payzone'

you can register your laser card and top up from the website or from you phone by text.

The double credit you get must be used within a month, but you other credit still stays after a month.

Phones are locked to the network like all other rtg, you need to spend 130 euro before they will give you the unlocking code, like most other providers.

that's about it

You are now able to receive calls from three. Tesco mobile and three have signed a deal together to allow this to happen.
    http://www.comreg.ie/about_us/hutchison_3g_ireland_limited_interconnects_with_tesco_mobile_ireland_limited.43.1024.whatsnew.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭emo72

i love tescos! i stick my 20 e in a month and i never seem to be able to spend all my credit. best value ever. and now i can make as many calls as i like without worrying about it. about time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

You won't be able to take full advantage of the iPhone when out and about on Tesco as they don't have 3G - no youtube, streaming radio or tv etc ..

long_b wrote: »
    You won't be able to take full advantage of the iPhone when out and about on Tesco as they don't have 3G - no youtube, streaming radio or tv etc ..

They do have 3G. There giving out new 3G sims to all their current customers. (you have to request it though) http://www.tescomobile.ie/international/index.aspx
    On this page you can request a 3G sim for free :)

Spooky1666 wrote: »
    They do have 3G. There giving out new 3G sims to all their current customers. (you have to request it though) http://www.tescomobile.ie/international/index.aspx
    On this page you can request a 3G sim for free :)

They may have 3G SIMS but they don't have access to the 3G network.
    Note: Our Mobile Internet service is provided through the WAP/GPRS network service and is not a high speed broadband service.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/MobileInternet.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

I have 3g coverage on my tesco mobile sim.

flodis79 wrote: »
    I have 3g coverage on my tesco mobile sim.

I get an Edge connection but only GPRS speed.
    Can you do a speed test ?
    http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed

I didn't miss that quote. After sending two emails to them they replied stating that as it's 3G it is high speed. Still not to sure about them as I never tried them out.

Spooky1666 wrote: »
    I didn't miss that quote. After sending two emails to them they replied stating that as it's 3G it is high speed. Still not to sure about them as I never tried them out.

Just checked again there.

My SIM, that I got last week, can see the O2 3G signal (reports it as "3G Tesco Mobile") but won't make a connection, for voice or data.

My SIM, that I got last week, can see the O2 3G signal (reports it as "3G Tesco Mobile") but won't make a connection, for voice or data.

For voice as well?? Weird ..

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Does tesco mobile have webtext?
    i bought a tesco sim and im now thinking if i should transfer my o2 number aswell. i would like to do it but dont wanna loose the webtext

Does tesco mobile have webtext?
    i bought a tesco sim and im now thinking if i should transfer my o2 number aswell. i would like to do it but dont wanna loose the webtext

sorry no webtext:(

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

That page has since changed. It now says:
    With the Tesco Mobile Internet service on your mobile, you can experience the internet through your mobile phone. All you need is a compatible phone so please check the user manual for your phone to see if you can use it to access the internet with our 3G service.

Same for me.. see here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68402359#post68402359

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Their data charges still say that only GPRS and WAP data is included on the data add ons.
    I'd be very surprised if Tesco are allowed access to the o2 3G network as it would be very expensive for an MVNO and also degrade o2's own service.

tbh, I think that page was only changed to suit borads interest but is far from reality.

Their data charges still say that only GPRS and WAP data is included on the data add ons.
    I'd be very surprised if Tesco are allowed access to the o2 3G network as it would be very expensive for an MVNO and also degrade o2's own service.

tbh, I think that page was only changed to suit borads interest but is far from reality.

I'm not sure what borads interest is but to me it's very simple. Tesco Mobile are advertising quite clearly that customers can "access the internet with our 3G service", but that simply isn't the case.

When I try to select the Tesco Mobile 3G network my phone says "No Access".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Tesco are not doing 3G, nor are they offering a 3G data add on. It's a TYPO

Do you work for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I get 3G from both tesco and 3 tesco 3G is alot slower tough

what exactly does that mean? i took the 3.50 a week package but still had no 3g coverage. they didnt refund my 3.50 either.

they're good at everything else but poor at 3g.

oh and they told me 100% that they definitely offer a 3g service. i told them to contact me when they figure out how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

it depends on where o2 has 3G coverage as they use them for proivding service so until o2 put a 3G mast close to you ..you prob will be on EDGE for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

jay93 wrote: »
    it depends on where o2 has 3G coverage as they use them for proivding service so until o2 put a 3G mast close to you ..you prob will be on EDGE for a while

Not true. I can not get a Nokia 3120c to lock onto a 3G signal in Dublin 1 in a location where O2 has perfect 3G. Interesting enough, a Nexus One does get 3G (UMTS) signal in the same location for voice, but can not connect to the Internet with the same settings that work on the Nokia (Edge only). The Tesco network is unusable for data as it is completely misconfigured.

Advertisement