Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is another planet

Options
  • 07-08-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

how much do you learn about The south aka The Repulic aka 26 counties in Northern Ireland-

I was amazed that two different hotels in Belfast did not have any Irish channels, while we would have BBC NI.

the average citizen of the North seems to know very little about teh republic.

would it be true to say that northerners are not know for their travelling or interest in the world outside of the UK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Fuinseog wrote: »
    would it be true to say that northerners are not know for their travelling or interest in the world outside of the UK?

There are plenty of travellers from NI - not sure what sort of slackjawed yokel aspersion you are trying to make with your statement tbh.

It would however be true to say that the Unionist population of NI would have more interest in the day to day affairs of the UK than RoI.

In terms of TV channels in hotels, RTE is generally only available outside border areas via Sky (not sure about Virgin). A majority of businesses and households get by on either the 5 UK terrestrial channels or Freeview, which doesn't carry RTE.

Those who are interested in the affairs of RoI will make the effort to get RTE in, the rest wont. From a hotels perspective, adding Sky to your room is simply an added expense that isn't needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

how much do you learn about The south aka The Repulic aka 26 counties in Northern Ireland-

I was amazed that two different hotels in Belfast did not have any Irish channels, while we would have BBC NI.

the average citizen of the North seems to know very little about teh republic.

Well the we can't pick up the irish channels here either, it comes from antrim and the signal is blocked from all the hills and mountains on the way!;) I wouldn't say that we wouldn't travel outside of the uk we have to go on holidays you know! though we would have more interest in the uk than the republic of ireland as that is our country, i know of people who have never been down south before, we really have no reason to go down, some people don't like it and others see nothing to do like me, besides scenery tbh there isn't much to do their for a person like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

There are plenty of travellers from NI - not sure what sort of slackjawed yokel aspersion you are trying to make with your statement tbh.

Nah - too easy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

smcgiff wrote: »
    Nah - too easy ;)

Might change that to "outwardly mobile"....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Why would you actually want Irish channels anyway?

The majority of the stuff worth watching they show you can get on UK channels anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

You can get them on Virgin too, though they block out the stuff that is shown on both channels so you can't get ahead of yourself with series that UK channels show!

I think we think Northerners don't know too much about ROI because we expect them to know too much (tongue twister eh). Just like England for example, many will have never been to ROI, would be unfamiliar with the education system, geography etc. When I worked in the civil service my HR manager insisted I was a Commonwealth citizen because ROI is, of course, part of the Commonwealth :rolleyes:.

I agree that most of the people I know in my age group have zero interest in traveling though - very few people studied abroad during college, went abroad after graduation, or plan to go to Oz etc. compared with friends from the Republic. I'm not sure why, but it is definitely something I noticed when I first moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

That was my biggest grievance with the North in my 3 years living there - Virgin Media blocking any football matches RTE showed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

owenc wrote: »
    i know of people who have never been down south before, we really have no reason to go down, some people don't like it and others see nothing to do like me, besides scenery tbh there isn't much to do their for a person like me.

I was genuinely saddened to read this although I'm not surprised by it. I worked in Belfast for 5 months in 1990 and many of my work colleagues from the Unionist tradition had never crossed the border. When I asked about this, they would say that they were concerned that they would be targetted in their cars for being from the North. When I asked if it was possible to tell a Unionist Northern reg from a Nationalist Northern reg they had not thought of it like that. Mind you, my Unionist colleagues took great delight in describing us Southerners as Mexicans.

I could understand why there would have been great reluctance years ago for Unionists to travel south. By the same token, many Southerners would not travel north for safety reasons. Maybe I'm being naive but given the state of the peace process I would have thought it was perfectly safe to visit each other's country. It would be like visiting your next door neighbour's house. Unless, of course, if the whole peace process is just something that exists in the minds of politicians and in the hearts and minds of many people in the North a Cold War is now the current status of the relationship between North and South.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Why would you actually want Irish channels anyway?

The majority of the stuff worth watching they show you can get on UK channels anyhow.

just find it bizzare that the two countries are so close. as I said we all have BBC NI. its usual to watch the channels of a neighourig state when so close.

pow wow wrote: »
    You can get them on Virgin too, though they block out the stuff that is shown on both channels so you can't get ahead of yourself with series that UK channels show!

I think we think Northerners don't know too much about ROI because we expect them to know too much (tongue twister eh). Just like England for example, many will have never been to ROI, would be unfamiliar with the education system, geography etc. When I worked in the civil service my HR manager insisted I was a Commonwealth citizen because ROI is, of course, part of the Commonwealth :rolleyes:.

I agree that most of the people I know in my age group have zero interest in traveling though - very few people studied abroad during college, went abroad after graduation, or plan to go to Oz etc. compared with friends from the Republic. I'm not sure why, but it is definitely something I noticed when I first moved.

The English also live in splendid isolation and have the leprachaun image of us, which is sad when again they live so close.
    I cannot understand why young northeners do not have the travel bug.
    NI is small and it cannot be good to have only seen NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 neilk

chughes wrote: »
    I worked in Belfast for 5 months in 1990 and many of my work colleagues from the Unionist tradition had never crossed the border.

Northern Ireland has changed immesuarbly in the 20 years since 1990. There have been ceasefires, economic and social development, infrastructure development and huge changes in attitude particularly among those who were children in 1990, who are now in their late 20's or early 30's like myself. There was a massive boom before the current bust that we are all suffering from.

I'm not personally from the Unionist tradition, but I'm sure that I'm not alone on here in knowing people from both traditions who travel to the Republic for the odd holiday.

chughes wrote: »
    I was genuinely saddened to read this although I'm not surprised by it. I worked in Belfast for 5 months in 1990 and many of my work colleagues from the Unionist tradition had never crossed the border. When I asked about this, they would say that they were concerned that they would be targetted in their cars for being from the North. When I asked if it was possible to tell a Unionist Northern reg from a Nationalist Northern reg they had not thought of it like that. Mind you, my Unionist colleagues took great delight in describing us Southerners as Mexicans.

I could understand why there would have been great reluctance years ago for Unionists to travel south. By the same token, many Southerners would not travel north for safety reasons. Maybe I'm being naive but given the state of the peace process I would have thought it was perfectly safe to visit each other's country. It would be like visiting your next door neighbour's house. Unless, of course, if the whole peace process is just something that exists in the minds of politicians and in the hearts and minds of many people in the North a Cold War is now the current status of the relationship between North and South.

Naw thats not the reason why these ones haven't been, its more to do with distance, donegal is like 50 miles away and once you get their the only place to goto would be letterkenny and tbh theres not much to do their... if we go on daytrip we usually goto scotland or fermanagh or county down, somewhere close with stuff to do. (yes scotland is far closer than most places down south.) If it weren't for my mum being from derry i wouldn't have ever been their, as my dad never goes and btw its not just unionists its nationalists aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No nationwide for the northeners!!

just find it bizzare that the two countries are so close. as I said we all have BBC NI. its usual to watch the channels of a neighourig state when so close.

How is it, i can pick up itv scotland from my house and when i was in county down i picked up the manx phone network, this sunday i even picked up argyll fm in ballycastle which is a scottish radio channel and it was pretty clear!

Archimedes wrote: »
    That was my biggest grievance with the North in my 3 years living there - Virgin Media blocking any football matches RTE showed :o

Its a uk tv channel why would british people want to watch irish sports?

No nationwide for the northeners!!

if they watched some RTE programmes they might learn something of their neighours, which does no harm in terms of general knowledge. I watch UTV live now and then.

a friend of mine taught in the north donkeys years ago and he was a geography teacher, but was forbidden to teach them anything about the geography of the south, which i found bizarre, because in primary school i had to learn aout the rivers and mountains of britain.

why would irish people watch aussie rules or the superbowl?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

Not everyone from the north is british. But you unionists tend to forget that. BTW cop yourself on, scotland is not nearer to coleraine that the rep. of Ireland......

murf313 wrote: »
    Not everyone from the north is british. But you unionists tend to forget that. BTW cop yourself on, scotland is not nearer to coleraine that the rep. of Ireland......

Erm do you seriously think a country is going to waste money on something for 600,000 people that 60 million others don't want, naw i didn't think so. And yes scotland is far closer than southern ireland anyone from county antrim will tell you that, plus why can i pick up scottish radio and not donegal radio?.:P From torr head you can see the houses in kintyre and even as far as ayr and that is on a cloudy day.

if they watched some RTE programmes they might learn something of their neighours, which does no harm in terms of general knowledge. I watch UTV live now and then.

a friend of mine taught in the north donkeys years ago and he was a geography teacher, but was forbidden to teach them anything about the geography of the south, which i found bizarre, because in primary school i had to learn aout the rivers and mountains of britain.

We never learn about the geography of southern ireland either, we just learn about the uk as we live here and that is the way it is thought about in our school here... plus we are closer to most mountain ranges etc in scotland than southern ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Colraine town centre to nearest point of the Republic is 12.477 miles
    Colraine town centre to nearest point of Scotland is 36.528 miles.

D-Generate wrote: »
    Colraine town centre to nearest point of the Republic is 12.477 miles
    Colraine town centre to nearest point of Scotland is 36.528 miles.

Actually nearest point is 34 miles.. and i don't live in coleraine i live near it.

My house to mainland, scotland.. 24 miles..

Very north east of donegal 20 miles.. big woop one wee tooty bit of donegal the rest is far further than scotland.

Erm do you seriously think a country is going to waste money on something for 600,000 people that 60 million others don't want, naw i didn't think so. And yes scotland is far closer than southern ireland anyone from county antrim will tell you that, plus why can i pick up scottish radio and not donegal radio?.:P From torr head you can see the houses in kintyre and even as far as ayr and that is on a cloudy day.

there are one or two paddies in Britain so there could be a market for it.
    again to reiterate my point belfast is two hours from Dulin, yet we have more contact with China that the nearest country to us.
    BTW is it Setanta sports tahts hows aussie rules? you wouldn't think there would e a market for that either.
    a cold war mentality still exists
    Northern Ireland is a small place and the people appear to be insular. there appear to be very few northeners on this forum.

Actually nearest point is 34 miles.. and i don't live in coleraine i live near it.

Very north east of donegal 20 miles.. big woop one wee tooty bit of donegal the rest is far further than scotland.

Point still stands and also the last statement makes no sense. The rest of Scotland is far further than the tip of that point of Scotland, same with Donegal! Just face it, you harbour xenophobic tendancies towards Ireland.

so you live 20 miles from another country and cannot even pick that country's tv stations? for europe that is unusual.

again to reiterate my point belfast is two hours from Dulin, yet we have more contact with China that the nearest country to us.
    BTW is it Setanta sports tahts hows aussie rules? you wouldn't think there would e a market for that either.
    Northern Ireland is a small place and the people appear to be insular. there appear to be very few northeners on this forum.

Yes there is.:( There are ones from the town but they are from down south.:mad: Unfair most people here don't go on forums, i don't have a clue actually.

D-Generate wrote: »
    Point still stands and also the last statement makes no sense. The rest of Scotland is far further than the tip of that point of Scotland, same with Donegal! Just face it, you harbour xenophobic tendancies towards Ireland.

Ugh who really cares, i'm still closer to scotland than most places in ireland, well except a wee tooty tip of donegal.:rolleyes:, besides donegal the nearest point in southern ireland is 60 miles which is the equivalent from my house to girvan, ayrshire, but its rather interesting being closer to the most northern point of another island to the most southern point of your own island.:D:D:D I'm also closer to ayr than places in county down, rather interesting!

I would completely agree with you on it being insular. Considering its population makes up over a quarter of the population of the island of Ireland it is rare to meet someone from the North (Unionist, Nationalist or doesn't care) anywhere in the world. I live in London and there is a disproportionate amount of Irish people that I come across in every day goings as compared to those from the North. Other than my housemate who is from the North I have met very very very few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Pay no attention to Owen. He's purposefully ignorant about the south and it suits him to be that way.

• Advertisement

Oh i wasn't thinking about that.:rolleyes: Sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement