Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is another planet

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

owenc wrote: »
    Oh dear god not you.:rolleyes: and you keep out of my politics, i can be unionist if i want, theres no point in people getting frustrated about that.:mad:

I'm not "in" your politics. And I never once stated that you don't have permission to be a Unionist. I stated that your were purposefully ignorant about the south. You go out of your way to not know about how things operate south of the border. You claim that the South is completely foreign to you, and the culture is completely different, and that Scotland is closer to you (despite me pointing out that Donegal is actually closer to Coleraine). You make stupid posts like that, with intent of distancing yourself from the south, or indeed - any notion of Ireland.

Most Unionists accept that they live on the island of Ireland, and have indeed common ground with all Irish people. It's only those, like you - who have a chip on their shoulder - that look for ways to purposefully distance themselves from Ireland.

But like the previous poster stated - If you have an issue with Ireland so much, then why bother to even post on these forums?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'm not "in" your politics. And I never once stated that you don't have permission to be a Unionist. I stated that your were purposefully ignorant about the south. You go out of your way to not know about how things operate south of the border. You claim that the South is completely foreign to you, and the culture is completely different, and that Scotland is closer to you (despite me pointing out that Donegal is actually closer to Coleraine). You make stupid posts like that, with intent of distancing yourself from the south, or indeed - any notion of Ireland.

Most Unionists accept that they live on the island of Ireland, and have indeed common ground with all Irish people. It's only those, like you - who have a chip on their shoulder - that look for ways to purposefully distance themselves from Ireland.

But like the previous poster stated - If you have an issue with Ireland so much, then why bother to even post on these forums?

No i have an issue with irish POLITICS i.e republicans. Anyway! Erm i don't have a chip on my shoulder sunny, and yes ireland is foreign its a totally different country, different currency, different roads, different rules.. i'm sorry but i'm not nationalist i don't view it like you, or republican, and what has this got to do with this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

I would also say that very few in the Republcic know anything about the north.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    how much do you learn about The south aka The Repulic aka 26 counties in Northern Ireland-

I was amazed that two different hotels in Belfast did not have any Irish channels, while we would have BBC NI.

the average citizen of the North seems to know very little about teh republic.

would it be true to say that northerners are not know for their travelling or interest in the world outside of the UK?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Belfast, like most/all of NI is very much a different country considering you don't cross a physical border when driving up to Belfast from Dublin for example. An English mate of mine was interested to see what it was like and came with me on a buying trip up there and was very surprised at how British it felt.

There are always little pockets of resistance though, I have a friend from Cushendall in Antrim which is very Irish and even in "Loyalist Larne" they sell the Irish Times in the train station shop (never had the courage to go any further despite working out of Larne for 6 months)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Oh dear god not you.:rolleyes: and you keep out of my politics, i can be unionist if i want, theres no point in people getting frustrated about that.:mad: If people knew what you got upto at your free time.;)

you can be Ian Paisleys lovechild for all I care. I want information and you appear to be the only one from Norn Iron on this forum.

• Advertisement

you can be Ian Paisleys lovechild for all I care. I want information and you appear to be the only one from Norn Iron on this forum.

No i'm not but i'm the only native!;) And no i think he is a bigot, i follow mr empy thank you.:pac: Oh dear god if i hear that again i'm going to die!

dlofnep wrote: »

the scottish culture is closer to Norn Iron tahn the irish one. its similar for people from donegal.
    I am not sure what you mena by "pursposely ignorant'. it seems to be that there is a media blackout in the the north when it comes to the republic.

No i have an issue with irish POLITICS i.e republicans. Anyway! Erm i don't have a chip on my shoulder sunny, and yes ireland is foreign its a totally different country, different currency, different roads, different rules.. i'm sorry but i'm not nationalist i don't view it like you, or republican, and what has this got to do with this thread?

yes ireland is a foreign state for you. France is a foreign state for me but I will still learn something about it, whether it be in school or my priavte life.

true, the shinners are not without sin.

yes ireland is a foreign state for you. France is a foreign state for me but I will still learn something about it, whether it be in school or my priavte life.

true, the shinners are not without sin.

Never thought about it that way, maybe i just don't have an interest.

the scottish culture is closer to Norn Iron tahn the irish one. its similar for people from donegal.
    I am not sure what you mena by "pursposely ignorant'. it seems to be that there is a media blackout in the the north when it comes to the republic.

Yep true we have a close culture with scotland, i.e speak lots of words that they say, i read somewhere that we have more scottish words than irish here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Gestapo

how much do you learn about The south aka The Repulic aka 26 counties in Northern Ireland-

I was amazed that two different hotels in Belfast did not have any Irish channels, while we would have BBC NI.

the average citizen of the North seems to know very little about teh republic.

would it be true to say that northerners are not know for their travelling or interest in the world outside of the UK?

Wow you havent discovered that yet.I thought we where over the moon so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

You tell them and you know my name is owen so don't try that with me again it is a totally different name.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

Because there was no british forum for the equivalent to this and didn't i just tell you i live outside coleraine!

Im sure Scotland or the UK you worship so much has at least one forum! Pretty embarrasing that they dont :pac: you could go too and troll there instead of coming on here with your constant ****e talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

<SNIP>

Good! bye bye :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭alan85

Interesting topic.

I travel up to the North of Ireland regularly to train there. It's in a predominantly unionist area. I have a very Irish name and accent. They are generally very respectful with the odd bit of horseplay. Nothing major. I remember being there around the time of the July marches and they were interested to know what I thought of it all. There was an English fella too and he thought the same as me; that the way they put up British flags is disrespectful to the flag and the British nation. He described it as being like dogs marking out territory. I see less of the tricolour and am thankful for that! I'd like to see it treated with respect.

I often tune into UTV for the news. It's very biased. BBC NI is a bit more balanced but only just. I'd love to see more unionists show an interest in the south. It can only be good. I wouldn't go as far to say the south is ready for any parades any time soon though. It was pure ignorance on their part last time. They didn't display any Irish or Dublin flags even though they were invited here to march. I think they saw it as an opportunity to parade the Union Jack around and let's hope those bigotts never come again...

alan85 wrote: »
    Interesting topic.

I travel up to the North of Ireland regularly to train there. It's in a predominantly unionist area. I have a very Irish name and accent. They are generally very respectful with the odd bit of horseplay. Nothing major. I remember being there around the time of the July marches and they were interested to know what I thought of it all. There was an English fella too and he thought the same as me; that the way they put up British flags is disrespectful to the flag and the British nation. He described it as being like dogs marking out territory. I see less of the tricolour and am thankful for that! I'd like to see it treated with respect.

I often tune into UTV for the news. It's very biased. BBC NI is a bit more balanced but only just. I'd love to see more unionists show an interest in the south. It can only be good. I wouldn't go as far to say the south is ready for any parades any time soon though. It was pure ignorance on their part last time. They didn't display any Irish or Dublin flags even though they were invited here to march. I think they saw it as an opportunity to parade the Union Jack around and let's hope those bigotts never come again...

How is it disrespectful putting up flags i don't think it is. Its interesting that you think that the utv is biased, i'd say its nationalist, i'd go more with bbc news. I agree with you on the orange order its a bitter thing that was used in the 1900s when they were really bitter, thats why so many people are leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

If a Mod could come in and clean the preceding ****e and slanging match up maybe some other NI boardies (like me) could come on and give an opinion to disprove the notion that Owen is the only nordie about here.

My notions on this -

I would agree that that NI people are less far flung than citizens from RoI. But then I reckon thats as much to do with the notion down south that travel, emigration, a widespread diaspora is a good thing as it is to do with the conservatism in NI. Historically it would seem that NI has often had it better economically than RoI due to ties with GB, therefore the need for mass emigration has never reared its head - other than the "brain drain" to mainland GB of the educated classes during the Troubles. I worked in the south for a year, many of those I worked with are now abroad seeking work following redundancy. Due to demographics and the economic makeup in NI it would seem that the same flood of emigration hasn't hit NI this time around as (from what I've seen) a lot of those hit hardest have been from working class low skilled backgrounds for whom there would be little demand abroad. I'll also happily admit that the Protestant / Scottish Presbyterian culture is much more conservative that would also limit ambition to travel, people are generally quite happy to have what they hold. This could be a boon or a social failing depending what way you look at it (NI people tend to be happy with their lot - whereas just about every second person I met in the south is in counselling and for some reason thinks their life is crap cos they only earn E50k a year and only have 2 houses and cant get skiiing but their vbff can. Sometimes ignorance is bliss).

Its also worth nothing that while Irish people have had a disproportionately high degree of success worldwide, NI people (in our insular wee way) have a disproportionaly high degree of success within the UK.

In terms of RoI specifically, theres no doubt there is an antipathy towards RoI from Unionists, but this would differ to outright fear (with corresponding hostility) a generation or 2 previous.

I don't go along with any witchhunt ideals that the NI administration brainwashes an anti Irish ideology into its people - from what I can remember academic curricula were generally in line with what happens everywhere else in the UK. Geography concentrated on NI (we didnt learn about Scotland at RoIs expense etc), history to GCSE concentrated on the first world war and irish history (there would obviously be a different slant put on things in catholic maintained schools and state schools).

I personally am not anti Irish. I am Northern Irish, I'm proud to be from here, I think generally people here have a distinct sense of themselves due to the relative isolation of the last 40 odd years. I appreciate the Irish side of culture here and have made active inroads to go and explore RoI and meet people. I've lived there, Im engaged to an Irish girl - but I feel different to the typical irish 28-yr old, with different values, a different culture (not a stereotypical Orange culture). I do feel an at least equal if not greater connection with other UK celtic traditions, i.e. Scots and Welsh. And for what its worth, my Dub o/h is very much of the opinion that even northern Nationalists are infinitely more conservative than the typical Irish man in the street down south, and that NI feels very culturally different to RoI.

As for the lack of Nordies on boards.ie - as Jordan said, it's boards.ie. When I'm looking for a website I look for the .co.uk version. My google default is .co.uk. This is an Irish board for Irish people.

And as for RTE - as far as I'm aware it's RTE's perogative to set up the infrastructure to broadcast in NI. There is limited coverage as it is and a lot of spillover of signal in border areas. There wouldn't be tricolours burned in the street if RTE put a mast up on Blackstaff mountain or negotiated a deal with the BBC to use theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 JohnM81

And as for RTE - as far as I'm aware it's RTE's perogative to set up the infrastructure to broadcast in NI. There is limited coverage as it is and a lot of spillover of signal in border areas. There wouldn't be tricolours burned in the street if RTE put a mast up on Blackstaff mountain or negotiated a deal with the BBC to use theirs.

The RTE player @ http://www.rte.ie/player/ might be worth checking out. I'm from the south and use this service more often than the tv broadcasts.

If a Mod could come in and clean the preceding ****e and slanging match up maybe some other NI boardies (like me) could come on and give an opinion to disprove the notion that Owen is the only nordie about here.

My notions on this -

I would agree that that NI people are less far flung than citizens from RoI. But then I reckon thats as much to do with the notion down south that travel, emigration, a widespread diaspora is a good thing as it is to do with the conservatism in NI. Historically it would seem that NI has often had it better economically than RoI due to ties with GB, therefore the need for mass emigration has never reared its head - other than the "brain drain" to mainland GB of the educated classes during the Troubles. I worked in the south for a year, many of those I worked with are now abroad seeking work following redundancy. Due to demographics and the economic makeup in NI it would seem that the same flood of emigration hasn't hit NI this time around as (from what I've seen) a lot of those hit hardest have been from working class low skilled backgrounds for whom there would be little demand abroad. I'll also happily admit that the Protestant / Scottish Presbyterian culture is much more conservative that would also limit ambition to travel, people are generally quite happy to have what they hold. This could be a boon or a social failing depending what way you look at it (NI people tend to be happy with their lot - whereas just about every second person I met in the south is in counselling and for some reason thinks their life is crap cos they only earn E50k a year and only have 2 houses and cant get skiiing but their vbff can. Sometimes ignorance is bliss).

Its also worth nothing that while Irish people have had a disproportionately high degree of success worldwide, NI people (in our insular wee way) have a disproportionaly high degree of success within the UK.

In terms of RoI specifically, theres no doubt there is an antipathy towards RoI from Unionists, but this would differ to outright fear (with corresponding hostility) a generation or 2 previous.

I don't go along with any witchhunt ideals that the NI administration brainwashes an anti Irish ideology into its people - from what I can remember academic curricula were generally in line with what happens everywhere else in the UK. Geography concentrated on NI (we didnt learn about Scotland at RoIs expense etc), history to GCSE concentrated on the first world war and irish history (there would obviously be a different slant put on things in catholic maintained schools and state schools).

I personally am not anti Irish. I am Northern Irish, I'm proud to be from here, I think generally people here have a distinct sense of themselves due to the relative isolation of the last 40 odd years. I appreciate the Irish side of culture here and have made active inroads to go and explore RoI and meet people. I've lived there, Im engaged to an Irish girl - but I feel different to the typical irish 28-yr old, with different values, a different culture (not a stereotypical Orange culture). I do feel an at least equal if not greater connection with other UK celtic traditions, i.e. Scots and Welsh. And for what its worth, my Dub o/h is very much of the opinion that even northern Nationalists are infinitely more conservative than the typical Irish man in the street down south, and that NI feels very culturally different to RoI.

As for the lack of Nordies on boards.ie - as Jordan said, it's boards.ie. When I'm looking for a website I look for the .co.uk version. My google default is .co.uk. This is an Irish board for Irish people.

Great post.:) Explains how i feel, you explained it very well, the whole culture thing i.e scottish heritage but not orange order suits me, the politics up here is different down their i.e the conservative, i would always go for the conservative party and unionist party but would never ever stick for labour, ewgh!:rolleyes: and as you say i feel more closer to someone in scotland than someone from southern ireland , maybe not donegal so much. I have to say thats true they don't believe me on here that nationalists have british passports and would be more conservative, i've really noticed that when i've come on here , they run the conservative party down to the lowest and all the conservative news papers and news channels! But whats funny is how scotland is labour!

JohnM81 wrote: »
    The RTE player @ http://www.rte.ie/player/ might be worth checking out. I'm from the south and use this service more often than the tv broadcasts.

That doesn't work, its blocked for us.

• Advertisement

when northeners learn irish history would it be all ireland history or just six counties?

because you are living abroad

No because bt blocked it and our ip addresses are registered to scotland and england so we aren't aloud to use it, in fact every time i reset mines it changes right now apparently i'm in lanarkshire.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

I my Dub o/h is very much of the opinion that even northern Nationalists are infinitely more conservative than the typical Irish man in the street down south, and that NI feels very culturally different to RoI.

Sorry, but i completly disagree with that, considering that the main parties in the republic are at least right of centre and the nationalist parties in N.Ireland are left of centre. It's the other way round. I find that politically, the republic is very conservative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If posters would report this kind of thing to mods who don't have 24/7 to monitor boards.ie this wouldn't get so out of hand.

Gents, (and any ladies?) personal attacks (and insinuations about other posters' activities, republican or otherwise) will not be tolerated.

Keep the thread on topic.

Edit: For clean-up purposes, many posts have been deleted, including ones on taking the marches 32-county wide and back-and-forth off topic bickering. If anyone finds any future posts offensive/off topic etc. please use the report function so one of the mods can come keep an eye on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Well the we can't pick up the irish channels here either, it comes from antrim and the signal is blocked from all the hills and mountains on the way!;) I wouldn't say that we wouldn't travel outside of the uk we have to go on holidays you know! though we would have more interest in the uk than the republic of ireland as that is our country, i know of people who have never been down south before, we really have no reason to go down, some people don't like it and others see nothing to do like me, besides scenery tbh there isn't much to do their for a person like me.

Dublin is a great city, and it is just over 2 hours on the train from Belfast. I wouldn't call Dublin "scenic" (:p) but there is lots to do. There are plenty of reasons to go down: to get away for the weekend, to go to a concert or sporting event, to do something different, etc - i.e. the same reason why increasingly people from the south "come up" to Belfast for the weekend. TBH, the only real reason I can see why coming down wouldn't make much sense is because everything in the south is so damn expensive compared to the north.

As for not travelling outside of the UK, or having more interest in "your country", Dublin is FULL of people from England on the weekends (and Spain...and Italy...). So I don't think it is fair or accurate to say that people wouldn't go down to the Republic because it's not "their" country; rather it is an issue specific to Northern Ireland (or a certain segment of the population in NI).

O'Neill wrote: »
    Sorry, but i completly disagree with that, considering that the main parties in the republic are at least right of centre and the nationalist parties in N.Ireland are left of centre. It's the other way round. I find that politically, the republic is very conservative.

I don't it changes by area the nationalists in the town would be more conservative and wouldn't play galeice have british passports etc, but in derry they would be more labour as they play galeic and are into their culture etc.

I would have no problem with FF forming in NI, as it may bring some semblance of "normal" politics to NI.

As someone previously stated, both nationalist parties in NI are left/socialist rooted - not every catholic/nationalist in NI is left leaning, but they want to vote for a pro United Ireland party so its always a case of SF or SDLP. A centre-right party would be an interesting introduction as another option.

I for one would dearly love the UUP to detach itself from orangism, no surrender-ism etc and start selling itself and the selling the Union. The sooner "real" politics arrive in NI maybe the sooner tribal politics will depart.

Yes i agree with you on the orangeism bit but isn't a part of the unionist culture? Tbh i don't care if it stays part of unionism or not. Why do you have to bring religion into politics it has nothing to do with it and don't gimmie this majority crap it has nothing to do with it!:mad: I would love the conservative party and labour party to come would actually be lovely seeing them getting high turnouts!:) i think we should concentrate on uk parties but not irish ones.

:rolleyes:

Anoo i took offence to this but later worked out that he probably ment travelling to ireland, but seriously they need to get things into perspective we are a different country so stop expecting us to treat yous like we are in your country, we treat you the same as we treat spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Yes i agree with you on the orangeism bit but isn't a part of the unionist culture? Tbh i don't care if it stays part of unionism or not. Why do you have to bring religion into politics it has nothing to do with it and don't gimmie this majority crap it has nothing to do with it!:mad: I would love the conservative party and labour party to come would actually be lovely seeing them getting high turnouts!:) i think we should concentrate on uk parties but not irish ones.

Why UK but not Irish. If people are willing to Vote for/join them then why not? I dont think he really brought Religion into it. He did say Catholic/Nationilist but that is a very common(if not entirely accurate) label. Of course religion has very little to do with it but thats no reason to bite the mans head off for useing the label.

• Advertisement

Why UK but not Irish. If people are willing to Vote for/join them then why not? I dont think he really brought Religion into it. He did say Catholic/Nationilist but that is a very common(if not entirely accurate) label. Of course religion has very little to do with it but thats no reason to bite the mans head off for useing the label.

Because its another country, you can't do that in other countries. I think we should try uk parties first like the conservative party, as we have got enough nationalist partys and i would frankly like something different, sick of seeing the whole sinn fien **** on tv etc etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement