Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is another planet

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

owenc wrote: »
    Yes i agree with you on the orangeism bit but isn't a part of the unionist culture? Tbh i don't care if it stays part of unionism or not. Why do you have to bring religion into politics it has nothing to do with it and don't gimmie this majority crap it has nothing to do with it!:mad: I would love the conservative party and labour party to come would actually be lovely seeing them getting high turnouts!:) i think we should concentrate on uk parties but not irish ones.

Religion is part of it and it's mostly the unionist parties doing - so there will inevitably be ties.

There are (shock horror) Catholics out there who are in favour of the union due to the economic benefits it has brought in the past. If nothing else, the country is dominated by the public sector hence it is a fair proportion of the working populations interest to remain in the UK (notwithstanding the coming cuts) simply in terms of self preservation.

Orangism is protestant only, if not anti-Catholic.

While any unionist party aligns itself with Orangism it simply isn't feasible to expect a catholic to vote for it.

I'm with you, I hate the every catholic is Irish and every protestant is a Brit thing - especially when there are a lot of protestants who are either pro UI or at least not anti UI, and equally there are a lot of catholics who would vote unionist given a realistic choice. But until real politics comes in, it won't happen.

And to Deise, sad as it is, the circus up here would make FF look like a political god.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Religion is part of it and it's mostly the unionist parties doing - so there will inevitably be ties.

There are (shock horror) Catholics out there who are in favour of the union due to the economic benefits it has brought in the past. If nothing else, the country is dominated by the public sector hence it is a fair proportion of the working populations interest to remain in the UK (notwithstanding the coming cuts) simply in terms of self preservation.

Orangism is protestant only, if not anti-Catholic.

While any unionist party aligns itself with Orangism it simply isn't feasible to expect a catholic to vote for it.

I'm with you, I hate the every catholic is Irish and every protestant is a Brit thing - especially when there are a lot of protestants who are either pro UI or at least not anti UI, and equally there are a lot of catholics who would vote unionist given a realistic choice. But until real politics comes in, it won't happen.

And to Deise, sad as it is, the circus up here would make FF look like a political god.

Yes i can't stick that when everyone puts people under the one bracket i mean my mothers family are catholic and then when i tell everyone that they say they are republicans and play Gaelic and they are not they are unionists and are of a very ulster scots presbyterian heritage i really hate that! I just tell people i have no religion so i don't get branded into anything. Thats another reason why i support uup because they are fair and are not bigots! And they were the first unionist party anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Because its another country, you can't do that in other countries. I think we should try uk parties first like the conservative party, as we have got enough nationalist partys and i would frankly like something different, sick of seeing the whole sinn fien **** on tv etc etc.

Indeed it is, However it wasent always and might not always be.

As far as I know Political Parties can move from one country to another, There just isent much reason to elsewhere.

I have no problem wit UK parties setting up in NI.
    Is the UUP not basicly the NI arm of the concervative party anyway,

I still dont see why there should be a problem with another ''nationalist'' Party if people are willing to get behind it and vote for them. Anyway, Fianna Fáil are a very different party to SF today. If anyone can displace SF then Fianna Fáil can. Personally I would see this as a good thing.

FF are far from political 'gods'

They basicly destroyed themselves down here.
    FG is my prefered option at the mo.
    I dont like FF.

Indeed it is, However it wasent always and might not always be.

As far as I know Political Parties can move from one country to another, There just isent much reason to elsewhere.

I have no problem wit UK parties setting up in NI.
    Is the UUP not basicly the NI arm of the concervative party anyway,

I still dont see why there should be a problem with another ''nationalist'' Party if people are willing to get behind it and vote for them. Anyway, Fianna Fáil are a very different party to SF today. If anyone can displace SF then Fianna Fáil can. Personally I would see this as a good thing.

Yes it is but i would love a separate party like it is on the mainland. I think the unionists need new parties as the nationalists have got too much now!

• Advertisement

Yes it is but i would love a separate party like it is on the mainland. I think the unionists need new parties as the nationalists have got too much now!

Surely less parties is better?
    If you have too many then you just have a dilution of effort.

''Mainland'':rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right lads.

Back on topic please. There is a politics forum if you wish to use it.

Surely less parties is better?
    If you have too many then you just have a dilution of effort.

''Mainland'':rolleyes:

Yes britain is the mainland for Northern Ireland whether you like it or not we are on a island off it.

Yes britain is the mainland for Northern Ireland whether you like it or not we are on a island off it.

Hold off on the We business. I live on this Island too and I concider Ireland to be the mainland, Britian is just an Island close by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

I think the unionists need new parties as the nationalists have got too much now

yes your right owen c , horrible , remb the good old days when dm dr taigs were kept in their place, horrible horrible thing this demoracy lark .

• Advertisement

danbohan wrote: »
    I think the unionists need new parties as the nationalists have got too much now

yes your right owen c , horrible , remb the good old days when dm dr taigs were kept in their place, horrible horrible thing this demoracy lark .

Oh dear god.:rolleyes: Who are you accusing of doing this.

Hold off on the We business. I live on this Island too and I concider Ireland to be the mainland, Britian is just an Island close by.

No, you are in southern ireland its different for you. Now stop it i can view it whatever way i want.

No, you are in southern ireland its different for you.

Its the same Island.
    Now stop it i can view it whatever way i want.

Of course you can but that dosent mean you can expect me to accept your view as correct, wether I like it or not.

Right lads.

Back on topic please. There is a politics forum if you wish to use it.

Yes I know its off topic, Muffler would you mind spliting the thread?

Its the same Island.

Of course you can but that dosent mean you can expect me to accept your view as correct, wether I like it or not.

Yes I know its off topic, Muffler would you mind spliting the thread?

Well we can't go around expecting everyone to accept our views so i will just have to pretend that you do. Its a different country with different terrioitory etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Locked and you can all thank each other for this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement