Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

40km TT routes around Dublin

• 07-08-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

So I went out to Batterstown last night to do my first 40km TT run of the year to see where I'm at. 67mins with 290 average watts so I'm reasonably happy with that.

I have a goal in mind of getting under the hour for a 40km TT but I'd like to find other, flatter routes to try out. The Batterstown route isn't exactly hilly but it's far from flat and can make it hard to settle into a constant effort level, and it's pretty exposed to wind too.

So, does anyone know of any other good flat/flatish 40km TT routes in or around Dublin?

I'll be sticking my new aero bars onto the bike and giving it a shot on the turbo to get used to it and will then try another 40km TT run to see if it makes much difference (I rode entirely in the hoods last night so am sure it wasn't exactly aero). After it took me so long to find a comfortable saddle position, I'm very reluctant to fiddle with it, especially as the TT runs are just for fun at the moment - should I really be pushing it far forward? Is the aim to have the aero bar pads under your elbows or forearms a bit up from the elbow?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The vets use the one at Batterstown (which I have done) and also Moy Valley (where I have just done a 10mTT) - it runs between roundabouts at Enfield and, I think, Kinnegad - they also do a 50m TT there - I think they simply keep going out and back until they hit the relevant mileage. This course is a bit flatter than the Batterstown one, and the road is in decent condition

In terms of the aerobars, when I had my bike fit on Thursday I was advised to rest the arm below the elbow on the pads, drop the bars as much as I could, and push the saddle forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Any chance of posting the gpx course for these?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ryaner wrote: »
    Any chance of posting the gpx course for these?
    Batterstown one is here - we use this one in the Swords League also

Can't find a MMR for the Moy Valley one, and I'm not sure which way it heads from Moy Valley, but you can get an idea by creating a new course on MMR from where it says Moy Valley, on the N4 to the west of Enfield -the 10m heads to Enfield and back, and I suspect the 25m heads to the first junction at Kinnegad and back

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Tend to use a 20k lap starting in esker, lord lucan>newcastle>celbridge>lord lucan, mostly quiet relatively flat roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Beasty wrote: »
    The vets use the one at Batterstown (which I have done) and also Moy Valley (where I have just done a 10mTT) - it runs between roundabouts at Enfield and, I think, Kinnegad - they also do a 50m TT there - I think they simply keep going out and back until they hit the relevant mileage. This course is a bit flatter than the Batterstown one, and the road is in decent condition

In terms of the aerobars, when I had my bike fit on Thursday I was advised to rest the arm below the elbow on the pads, drop the bars as much as I could, and push the saddle forward

Thanks for that Beasty, might try that route and the bike fit tips will come in handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭rosscollins88

Slight hijack but I was wondering how often TTs are run in the Dublin area. I'm moving to Dublin and was hoping to get quite serious with them next year. Really enjoyed my few races in the Dave Kane league this year but there doesn't seem to be a league in Leinster. Is it just a case of going to club TTs?

Slight hijack but I was wondering how often TTs are run in the Dublin area. I'm moving to Dublin and was hoping to get quite serious with them next year. Really enjoyed my few races in the Dave Kane league this year but there doesn't seem to be a league in Leinster. Is it just a case of going to club TTs?
    Dublin Wheelers ran an 8-event weekly TT league between May and July this year. Swords have done a 10m and 25m, and will be doing 2 hill climbs in total. If you qualify for the vets, they run 10m, 25m and 50m TTs throughout the summer, and the Usher/Orwell etc League also do 10m and 25m TTs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭rosscollins88

Cheers Beasty, I'll just have to decide what club to join then! Probably going to be based south side so Orwell/Usher league sounds good.

Advertisement