Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamps - converting from USA to Ireland

• 07-08-2010 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hello

I have a bunch of USA lamps that I need to convert to Irish. I can find all the bits e.g. the switched lamp holder, cable, plug and bulb but struggling to find the hollow bolt that will connect the lamp holder to the base of the lamp. Went to local hardware shop and woodies and not finding this bolt anywhere. Most shops sell a pre-made kit that that you can force into the lamp itself but the problem with it is the cable exits the side of the lamp holder rather than travelling through the center of the base via this hollow bolt.

I need about 10 of them and ideally I would like brass fittings rather than plastic.

any ideas? Ordering on line if anyone can point me in the right direction would be most ideal.

I am fairly handy so can convert them myself.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not sure if I am understanding this, but there is a hole down the centre of the lamp base to carry the wire, right? You can get those push in holders where the cable comes out of the bottom, rather than the side, so the cable threads through the existing hole. I'm pretty sure you can get them in brass too. I think you need to look for different 'tops' (bulb holders) rather than a connector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

Here is the USA lamp holder with hollow bolt that attaches to the lamp.

A force fit connector will probably not be strong enough for these lamps.

123137.JPG

123138.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How do you mean convert to Irish? The US mostly uses Edison screw fittings, The bulbs can be got here in 250v versions so all you need to do is change the plug and maybe the flex?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hollow bolt and other bit and pieces
    http://www.bygonelighting.co.uk/threads-collars-and-nuts-47-c.asp

Brass electrical fittings must be earthed so you need to make sure you use 3 core cable and bond the earth wire to the metal.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    How do you mean convert to Irish? The US mostly uses Edison screw fittings, The bulbs can be got here in 250v versions so all you need to do is change the plug and maybe the flex?

Excellent point. Did not know that you can get screw type bulbs in 220v. Checked fittings and the are rated to 250v

Bulbs available anywhere?

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Hollow bolt and other bit and pieces
    http://www.bygonelighting.co.uk/threads-collars-and-nuts-47-c.asp

Brass electrical fittings must be earthed so you need to make sure you use 3 core cable and bond the earth wire to the metal.

Perfect. This is what I was looking for although previous post about just changing bulb, cable and plug might also work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ES 22 is a standard fitting here, just cut the plug off and replace with a 3 pin and you are ready to go.

Advertisement