Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice of intention to leave and annual leave

Options
  • 07-08-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi, I'm due to take my annual leave from the 13th Septemebr. I've now decided that I will be leaving the previous Friday, which is the 10th of September. I want to work the 5 weeks until this date and also get the money I would of been owed for holidays. I'm worried though that they might make me leave on the 27th of August and say I can have the last 2 weeks off as holidays, which means I will be working 3 weeks and gettin paid for 5. I don't want to do this, I'd rather work up until the 10th and then get the holiday pay as well, ie work for 5 weeks and be paid for 7. I'm just wondering is it legal for them to do this?? I know they've suggested it to colleagues before soI thought I better check it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

how long a notice period have you to give?

whatever period it is most companies (depending on various reasons) might let you go immediately but pay you your period of notice if you hand in your notice for the period ie one months notice handed in exactly one month before last working day.

you will be entitled to holidays accrued up to the final day ie end of notice period not last working day which you will get along with your notice period money.

your company has the discretion when to despense with your services so long as they pay the appropiate equivalent outstanding notice period and subsequent pay and any bonus etc

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭EamoS

how long a notice period have you to give?

whatever period it is most companies (depending on various reasons) might let you go immediately but pay you your period of notice if you hand in your notice for the period ie one months notice handed in exactly one month before last working day.

you will be entitled to holidays accrued up to the final day ie end of notice period not last working day which you will get along with your notice period money.

your company has the discretion when to despense with your services so long as they pay the appropiate equivalent outstanding notice period and subsequent pay and any bonus etc
    I see, so if I handed in my notice tomorrow they could just let me go in 2 weeks or whatever the required period of notice they have to give me is even though I hadnt intended to leave for another few weeks after that?

I think I'll juts give them the 2 weeks notice then so they dont have a chance to do that, theyre very spiteful I wouldnt put it past them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

They may not let you work out your notice because lots of employers do not like have staff on the premises who are leaving and may slack off/steal/cause trouble.They do have to pay you for your 2 weeks notice however.You may not be entitled to 2 full weeks holiday pay if you have taken previously hols this year/have not worked up enough holiday hours.

Advertisement