Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

change in oneself is very difficult for other people to accept

• 07-08-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

What do I mean when I say that?

Well basically I have been in a job for 2 years and I havent really applied myself in it, ive done an ok job, I have also been too open with people and become kinda a person that people can be friends,have a laugh and a joke with with as oposed to a person they can respect,I see it whenever I try to make a suggestion at a team meeting, I kind of get sniggered at or put down, which hurts my confidence so I find it more difficult to do it again,I just feel that people have labelled me and its very uncomfortable for them to see me changing, I should have really applied myself at the start because once certain people have an opinion of you its very hard to change it, I ultimately feel I will have to move on to another company to get this acceptance,any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

You can be the sort of person people can have a laugh and a joke with and respect as well! Tbh the majority of work colleagues are not frends for life so dont dwell on the fact that they have labelled you and are not taking you serious dont let your confidence be knocked just keep doing what your doing and if when you make a suggestion you are laughed at address it there and then you dont need to be agressive just let them know it was a serious suggestion and continue to voice your opinion. In time people will stop with the mocking. Maybe seeing you change and working harder is making some people feel threatened in their own roll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I ultimately feel I will have to move on to another company to get this acceptance,any advice?

This is the quickest way to achieve what you seem to want. This is a difficult time to move jobs, so in the meantime work at building up a good CV..... and that means applying yourself to the job at hand.

Be at peace,

Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭elleburp

This is why first impressions are so important.

OP, you've been working there 2 years. How long has it been since you've noticed that people aren't taking your ideas seriously? My only advice is to stick it out if it's a good job. People can change their opinions but it takes time for them to notice that you are applying yourself. It could take 2 or 3 years of good behaviour on your part before this change comes about but it is possible. Take yourself more seriously, make some positive and permanent changes in how you dress or approach the job, in how you address your managers, etc

Remember that there will always be new people coming into the company, they don't know anything about you until you give them their first impressions of you. Keep this in mind, be respectful and you'll gain it.

Hope this helps

All i can say is, DO NOT QUIT.

As Zen said, its a very very hard time to get a job at the moment and it seems you're save in your current one.

Don't resign unless you have another job lined up.

Keep voicing your opinion and don't stop talking when someone makes a sly remark, raise your voice to an acceptable level and let them know what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Continue to do what you're doing.

Also the best advice I can give anyone who is looking to advance in a job is to make friends with your superiors, act like them now, dress like them now and share some of their pastimes. Mainly talk with them if there are any work parties etc. Gradually distance yourself from the no hopers and you'll find promotion will come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

goodadvice wrote: »
    Continue to do what you're doing.

Also the best advice I can give anyone who is looking to advance in a job is to make friends with your superiors, act like them now, dress like them now and share some of their pastimes. Mainly talk with them if there are any work parties etc. Gradually distance yourself from the no hopers and you'll find promotion will come.

At the sake of selling your soul!

Advertisement