Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant Defy 3 or Trek 1 series 1.5??

• 07-08-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Im in the market for an entry level racer and i am undecided between these two bikes?

Which would you choose??

Or a would a reccomend a different bike?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 andyoc

I have a Giant Defy 3.

Nice bike, but I have had issues with the spokes - Mavic CXP22 wheels - have dropped about 10 spokes so far in 4 months. Wheels are currently being re-spoked with better spokes.

It's my first road bike, so I can't offer any comparisons, but otherwise I'm happy enough.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jonny the Map

I bought a Specialized Allez Elite in May. I was in the same boat as yourself, and had narrowed it down to the Trek and Specialized. I am absolutely delighted with it. It is worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

Defy 3 doesn't have Mavic CXP22 rims - you might be thinking of the Defy 2? The 1.5 is a decent bike with Tiagra shifters for about €915 whereas the Defy 3 is €775 and has Sora shifters. The Defy 2, also Tiagra equipped is €1075 so if you can get your hands on a 2010 Trek 1.5 it's the better buy. Model year is about to change so not sure if there are many 2010 1.5's left though and the new model will be significantly more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I have a Giant Defy 2, it has Mavic cxp22 wheels and Tiagra groupset/shifters/deraillers.

Delighted with the bike, no issues so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

I have the Trek 1.5, absolutely love it. Havent had a single problem yet over the first few 100 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

I had a spin in a trek 1.5 a month ago and i thought it was a very nice bike for the money,very nice colour and the tiagra shifters are much nicer that the sora. The bike was 899 Euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Andyoc,
    I have Mavic CXP22's on a Specialized Secteur Elite a I've had some trouble with spokes also. I'm pretty heavy and the spokes kept working loose. I brought it to the bike shop a few times to get the spokes retightened and the wheel trued. on my third visit I asked the guy in the shop to use some Loctite threadlock glue and he did. I haven't had a problem since. I'd recommend it.
    By the way the Secteur is a great bike and I'm very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

I also have Trek 1.5. Since the end of Feb have been putting a min of 125k a week on the bike, with a good few weekend spins too.
    Nothing bad to say about the bike.
    The only thing is that, being white you have to pay a bit more attention to cleaning it, but that's not a bad thing.
    Personally I went for the trek over the giant because of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 andyoc

@ Durrus - my bad - it's a Giant Defy 2 I have!

@Donie75 - have heard of quite a few problems with the CXP22 spokes...
    will consider your solution if I run into more problems after this respoke

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dtlibra

I'm very happy with my Trek 1.5. I have 1600 km done in past 5 months since I bought it for €899

• Advertisement
Advertisement