Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birch trees

Options
  • 07-08-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

We planted birch trees three years ago and we want to know if we can safely 'top' them as now they are 8 ft high and quite spindly. The last windy day branches broke off on top. We have a support for them which is 4 ft high and we dont expect to put in a support 8 ft high! Is it safe to lop off the high branches so they become sturdier?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It isn't usual to top birch trees. Part of their charm is the pointed, slender top. If you cut that out the trees will become more bushy. 8ft isn't that high, and a 4' stake is quite sufficient. Blowing about in the wind will strengthen the stem and top branches, the stake is really only to stop the roots rocking when you transplant a tree.

We have a Himalayan Birch which did its best to beat itself to death on the roof of a nearby shed when it was younger, but now the trunk is more rigid and the top is growing well.

You will not keep them to 8ft anyway, I would let them get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

jupiter00 wrote: »
    they are 8 ft high and quite spindly.

One of the reason birch are recommended for smaller gardens is that they have an open light appearance and don't tend to block much light, the spindly look you descrobe may be its natural habbit..
    jupiter00 wrote: »
    The last windy day branches broke off on top.

I'd wonder should this have happened, how healthy are they, they shouldn't break easily this time of year unless the wind is serious...

I suppose the answer is yes you could carefully prune them now..

I think however it would spoil the look of them, I saw it done a few years ago and the trees took on quite an unnatural look which I wouldn't care too much for...

Advertisement