Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo the worst place to Park.

Options
  • 07-08-2010 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Is it only me or to others agree that Sligo is the worst place to Park. If I go there on a weekend the Dunnes/Tesco carpark is full. You would nearly be better to go to enniskillen.
    Is it just my opinion or are there others who have the same problem.

Or where do people park, I presume everywhere is paid parking in sligo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I find Quayside car park to be the best. Right in the centre of town, never seems to be full, only a euro an hour. And I think if you get in before 11, it's only €3 for the day. Also it's very easy to get there without getting stuck in traffic, whatever direction you're coming from.

As far as I know the Glasshouse car park costs about the same, I've never parked there though.

I'd never go near Tesco car park, especially on a weekend, you'd be stuck in traffic there for ages.

If I'm in town for a few hours, I go to Connaughton Road. €2.50 for the full day, and only five minutes walk from O'Connell Street.

And yes, pretty much everywhere in town is paid parking, but just think of the money you'll have saved on the petrol up to Enniskillen! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

And yes, pretty much everywhere in town is paid parking, but just think of the money you'll have saved on the petrol up to Enniskillen! ;)

I live 40 mins from sligo, only go there 2 or 3 times a year (Usually when wife wants something). I like sligo for shopping, I love the pedestrian areas along the river, usually is nice experience, However the last time we had to park out as we could not find parking in the centre, I think it took me a hour to park the car (driving around and stuck in traffic). Actually once I left me wife off and sat in the dunnes carpark until a space was free and then parked. Its only for that reason I'd rather drive to Enniskillen. Castlebar has excellent parking and free packing around Next/Aldi.

alex73 wrote: »
    I live 40 mins from sligo, only go there 2 or 3 times a year (Usually when wife wants something). I like sligo for shopping, I love the pedestrian areas along the river, usually is nice experience, However the last time we had to park out as we could not find parking in the centre, I think it took me a hour to park the car (driving around and stuck in traffic). Actually once I left me wife off and sat in the dunnes carpark until a space was free and then parked. Its only for that reason I'd rather drive to Enniskillen. Castlebar has excellent parking and free packing around Next/Aldi.

Yeah, definitely stay away from Tesco/Dunnes next time you're down! Seriously, try Quayside, it's great and you totally avoid the traffic if you turn in there from the inner relief road rather than coming through town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Yeah, definitely stay away from Tesco/Dunnes next time you're down! Seriously, try Quayside, it's great and you totally avoid the traffic if you turn in there from the inner relief road rather than coming through town.

For sure I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Of course its going to be full its the busiest time of the week. If your going to Tesco go some midweek evening. If your not going to tesco park somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Glasshouse all the way. Can't recommend this carpark enough. Always spaces, nice and quiet, good price and excellent location.

Failing that, Quayside is the next best spot but I find it harder to manoeuvre around than the Glasshouse carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i rarley park the car in town, usally walk in, but if ever driving, usally use the quayside, cheeper and easier to manover around compared to tescos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I really don't find parking in Sligo a problem anymore, obviously I don't go to Tesco as it's a bottleneck. I can get into town from my house and parked in Quayside usually withing 10 minutes,never have any problem with parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Connaughton road car park always has loads of empty spaces for some reason????

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I avoid sligo at all costs its a maddening place, i go to carick or eniskillen, and its not just the parking...............agh!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I never have problems parking in Sligo - probably because most drivers seem to act like sheep & all try to park in the same 2/3 car parks - leaving the rest of the car parks with plenty of free spaces.

Normally, I just park on the street anyway - there's loads of places where you can park for 40cent for 20 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I use the private ran car park up in the market yard,2.50 all day and it's safe,as it is manned,not that it wouldn't be safe anywhere else.

I always park in a free spot right in middle of town which shall remain nameless. And I would also agree with starbelgrade.

Gipo3 wrote: »
    I always park in a free spot right in middle of town which shall remain nameless.

Hmmm ... is it the little carpark behind Brodericks that you get into from the Tesco carpark? ;)

Hmmm ... is it the little carpark behind Brodericks that you get into from the Tesco carpark? ;)

is that free, as long as you have proof of purchase or hour limit (i think)

No thats not it. There is only about three spots but nearly always get parking.

Oh the suspense.
    I park in a secret car park in town that you can only get into if you drive past a certain spot 4 times and reverse in. Also it will only appear if you say the word 'Freeparking' over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

gipo I think i know the spot, there a certain business whose workers use it during the week as its round the corner from their office but its usually free at weekends. Also glasshouse and buy something like a tea or sambo etc and they will clear your parking for you other than that the mall is nearly always free. I know it involves a strenous 3 minute walk to the centre of town but I think its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Seeing as I dont really go into town much at the weekend and when i do I always use QuaySide then my (not a secret anymore) free car park would be Westward Town Center ;) only Sat and Sunday mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

My father would always park in St Annes church car park on a Saturday afternoon - never any problem getting a spot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

bonzos wrote: »
    Connaughton road car park always has loads of empty spaces for some reason????

I think People get put off by the Travellers living across the Road but its Probably the Handiest you always get a Spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

The County Manager said he never has a problem parking in Sligo. :rolleyes:

If I had a private parking space I wouldn't either. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Brite_Cloud

Never had any problems myself - Just look around for a steel post or railing, that's overlooked from all sides, and then secure that to your frame.

This is about bicycles right?

Never had any problems myself - Just look around for a steel post or railing, that's overlooked from all sides, and then secure that to your frame.

This is about bicycles right?

not many of them in sligo either

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I always get parked in Stephen Street, it's central to everything but can be busy during lunch times

Advertisement