Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cameras and snow

• 07-08-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭

Bought a DSLR recently and have been messing about with it. I'm going skiing next week but unsure of whether to bring it or not. There's some pretty sweet scenery where we're going (New Zealand) so it would be a shame not to try to get a few pics, but I'm a bit worried about the effect of the cold weather on the camera.

Anyone got any tips? How should I store it if I bring it up the slopes, or would people advice against this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

how low will the temperature be there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

If you can keep the moisture away from it and have it in a padded camera bag, I cant see a big issue. Maybe try and get your hands on a few bags of silica granules per day to keep in the bag with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭richardbradley

shoot in raw so u can fix white balance and exposure later if u must but try and get right in camera. Start with+1 exposure comp and review on back of screen as ur camera will naturally meter too dark. Also dont take it directly from cold to warm eg from outside to hot chalet, leave in garage etc for a couple of hours 1st. Would advise take a compact up most days and just take dslr one day etc. Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I take my 35mm slr with me when skiing. I keep it in something that looks like a small sleeping bag. It has a vinyl outer bag, a plastic inner bag and the gap between is filled with polystyrene beads. It's original intent was to keep tinnies cold. I find it lets the camera warm up gradually when re-entering accommodation if I leave it in. It serves the dual purpose of providing both physical and thermal protection.

The whole thing I stuff inside a backpack. There is room for the camera with attached zoom and usually a second lens and a couple filters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Vorsprung wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips? How should I store it if I bring it up the slopes, or would people advice against this?

Bring it. Most cameras have a typical operating temperature
    range of 0-40C. Many photographers have shown that these
    cameras can work well in air temperatures well below zero.
    This probably is too cold:
    http://canonfieldreviews.com/7d-1-weather-sealing/

Snow tends to screw up camera exposure metering and
    auto WB. Shoot raw or raw+jpeg. Use exposure bracketing.
    Batteries don't like extreme cold. Bring a spare one.
    Avoid extreme temperature swings which could lead
    to condensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 McN

You will be so devastated when you get to New Zealand if you don't have your your camera, although I don't think any camera could come close to capturing the beauty of the place. Its one of the things that inspired me to take up photography. Insure it, get a good bag and have a ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Honestly depends what kind of skier you consider yourself. If you are competent but you are not going to be jumping off cliffs then maybe take it. But if you are a beginner (on yer ass all the time) then I wouldn't bother. Also if you are doing some serious skiing I am not sure why you would take it. I have been skiing for years and never taken anything more than a basic compact camera because space in my bag was really reserved for serious skiing kit. To be honest I would only take the slr if i was going to spend the day taking pics of mates/family etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cold. The battery will be drained quicker but the camera should be fine in a bag. wrap it in a fleece or something.

If you would take it I would not take it on the slopes too often, maybe take it out one or 2 good days then ditch it for the rest of your holiday and just take a basic point and click. You will worry about it all the time and one hard slam and you could trash your camera.

Enjoy the trip.... So jealous.

Just take it with you, if you decide you want it on the slopes after a day take it with ya :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Take it but book an afternoon off the skiing to go shoot... Silica bags are cheap on 7dayshop. Set the camera to over-expose by a stop and keep a small towel with you to dry off any snowflakes that fall on the camera etc.

Advertisement