Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A5 V 320 coupe?

• 07-08-2010 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Which would you go for A5 or BMW 320 coupe? 2008 model and should I buy in UK ,is it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

320 m sport? Diesel or Petrol
    What model A5?
    I presume youll be going for the 1.8t A5 and the 320 msport.

The A5 will probably cost you more and get less L/KM or MPG.

If it were me id go 320d.

OP if your able to join boards.ie then you are perfectly capable of going to autotrader.co.uk and carzone and compare the prices then go to ros.ie for a VRT quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I would have the A5 anyday. I think youll source an irish car just as cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

320Ci. The A5 is for people who know they have no imagination. Too limited a choice though, there are better cars out there.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The E92, preferably the 320d over the 320i. Don't jump for the msport without a test drive to see is the ride too rough for you.

The A5 is a beautiful car, lovely interior but the ride is poor, the pedals are in a terrible postion and it tramlines badly. The steering is also a bit wooly and understeer in corners is noticeable.

Current exchange rates mean you won't save nearly as much going to UK as 6 months ago, but you'll still likely save 3-4k on similar spec'd models here so it's still worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

@OP - automatic or manual? petrol or diesel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

for me as a bmw owner and having had 8 bmws and one audi i way prefer the audi A5 over the 3 series coupe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Personally I would go to uk and pick myself up a high spec A5 quattro diesel model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

copacetic wrote: »

The A5 is a beautiful car, lovely interior but the ride is poor, the pedals are in a terrible postion and it tramlines badly. The steering is also a bit wooly and understeer in corners is noticeable.

Current exchange rates mean you won't save nearly as much going to UK as 6 months ago, but you'll still likely save 3-4k on similar spec'd models here so it's still worth it.

you wont save going to the uk for an A5 petrol anyway. Much cheaper here based on the price I couldnt get for mine at least.
    The A5 pedal position is not an issue in my opinion. they are slightly offset but I would not really notice this ever.
    The tramlining & odd steering behaviour is a joke & being honest, if I didnt buy mine new, I wold have been convinced it was crashed. Even buying it new I was convinced the steering rack was mounted incorrectly or something cause its is bad - on rough or uneven surfaces, coming down off bumps in the road etc.
    My advice would be not to buy a front drive A5 under any circumstances. Go for a quattro with servo steer & it might be alot better

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mickdw wrote: »
    you wont save going to the uk for an A5 petrol anyway. Much cheaper here based on the price I couldnt get for mine at least.

Sorry, yep the A5 isn't worth going to UK for, even the diesel as the emissions aren't that low.

(I was assuming OP followed my advice and went for the E92 320d:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

mickdw wrote: »
    The A5 pedal position is not an issue in my opinion. they are slightly offset but I would not really notice this ever.
    The tramlining & odd steering behaviour is a joke & being honest, if I didnt buy mine new, I wold have been convinced it was crashed. Even buying it new I was convinced the steering rack was mounted incorrectly or something cause its is bad - on rough or uneven surfaces, coming down off bumps in the road etc.
    My advice would be not to buy a front drive A5 under any circumstances. Go for a quattro with servo steer & it might be alot better

Hmmm. Indeed. What about an S line? Or even an S5 ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Confab wrote: »
    320Ci. The A5 is for people who know they have no imagination. Too limited a choice though, there are better cars out there.

What a ridiculous statement. Audi's are quality cars and for people who dare to be a little different. The BMW is the ultimate w..kers car for people with zero imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

What a ridiculous statement. Audi's are quality cars and for people who dare to be a little different. The BMW is the ultimate w..kers car for people with zero imagination.

you sound like a bmw driver then,

thats just as rediculious a statement

whats dareing to be different by getting an audi they are same as bmw or mercedes , different is alfa or saab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Your statement is just as ridiculous as the one you quoted.

Audi and BMW are two quality brands of car.
    IMO they are both guilty of having bad stereotypical drivers.

I drive a BMW, im a legend so everyone else can shove it:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭lau1247

OP i think both cars are good but a5 can be slightly more pricey.. If you have the money, a5 would be a good choice.. they always managed to turn heads that's for sure..

sorry to deviate from op's thread.. but i'm in similar boat where i'm looking at 320 coupe (07 or 08) also.. my issue is more to do with petrol or diesel.. my daily (mon-fri) requirement typically require a good few short start stop in a day i.e. 5 mins drive each time.. i suppose diesel is not the best way to go for that??

If any board member have an auto version of 320 coupe, what mpg do you get?? from reading most of the reviews, they tends to quote the manufacturer's value which is not too helpful for indication.

Is there any notorious issue people may have experienced??

Thanks

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

a) This is a ridiculous statement
    and
    b) This is trolling

Neither is welcome here. Please read the Charter and tone it down.

Advertisement