Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SURFING FOR BEGINNERS

Options
  • 07-08-2010 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

just wanted you're opinion on how strong a swimmer you'd have to be before you could learn to surf???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Surf schools operate usually in very safe spots and up to waist depth. You will have huge foam board attached to you, so even if you felt not very comfortable, just grab on the board and you are grand. The leash is only few meters, so if you can swim 5 meters, you'll be grand.

Knowing how to swim will make you feel just more confident and comfortable in the water. And especially when the waves get a bit taller.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

I know a girl who surfs but can't swim. I'm not recommending it as a good idea or anything just that if you're hanging about in the shallows and just paddling around on a foam board you don't even need to be able to swim. A good rule of thumb for beginners is don't surf in water you wouldn't consider swimming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

This has been covered before ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055708834& )- if you can't swim you've no buisness surfing, if you are a weak swimmer get surfing lessons and then over time you'll get strong but it'd be a good idea to go to the pool and get some practice in.

In 10 year of surf I've only snapped a leash twice and pulled the leash plug out once. Your leash is a convience to stop you having to swim after your board all the time. They aren't a live saving device and do break even in white water.

Surfing is an adventure sport it comes with risks and sh1t does go wrong you have to be able to deal with it on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

if you can't swim you've no buisness surfing

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

I have never surfed before. I'm 32 and male. I have also never skateboarded or snowboarded before. Would that matter. Somebody said to me before that it's much easier if you have skateboarded or snowboarded before as you'll have better balance. Is that true? Maybe I wouldn't be any good any surfing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 CDog

These things are a help but not a necessity! Just get out there and get a lesson or two and enjoy it.

You don't need to be good at it straight away and like anything it takes practice, the more the better. The great thing about surfing is that its fun, even when you fall off!

So don't get hung up about being good, give it a try, you'll know after one go whether you want to do it again!

Oh and as mentioned already, make sure you can swim first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Conor30 wrote: »
    I have never surfed before. I'm 32 and male. I have also never skateboarded or snowboarded before. Would that matter. Somebody said to me before that it's much easier if you have skateboarded or snowboarded before as you'll have better balance. Is that true? Maybe I wouldn't be any good any surfing?

Learning to surf is one mighty challenge.

It takes loads of commitment. Basic manevures alone can take years to learn. I have seen many take up the sport with great enthusiasam only to see boards abandoned in frustration, gathering dust 2-3 years down the line.

Get a lesson, if you enjoy it then take it from there. I wouldn't be looking any further then that. :)

FlashD wrote: »
    Learning to surf is one mighty challenge.

It takes loads of commitment. Basic manevures alone can take years to learn. I have seen many take up the sport with great enthusiasam only to see boards abandoned in frustration, gathering dust 2-3 years down the line.

Get a lesson, if you enjoy it then take it from there. I wouldn't be looking any further then that. :)

Thanks. Yeah, I wouldn't buy my own board and other equipment until I was well sure I was into it and wanted to keep it up. I'm going to book one of those weekend packages in either Lahinch or Bundoran and see how it goes!
    I'm a snow skier which is also a sport that takes a lot of practice and commitment, so I can imagine what you mean.

CDog wrote: »
    These things are a help but not a necessity! Just get out there and get a lesson or two and enjoy it.

You don't need to be good at it straight away and like anything it takes practice, the more the better. The great thing about surfing is that its fun, even when you fall off!

So don't get hung up about being good, give it a try, you'll know after one go whether you want to do it again!

Oh and as mentioned already, make sure you can swim first!

Thanks. I've skied a lot before but have never tried snowboarding, which is a shame really.

Advertisement