Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Charges in Rip Of Waterford

• 07-08-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭

Yes we're being ripped off by the greedy city councel, I was in Cork yesterday and to park in the streets it's only 1 euro an hour compared to 1.80 here, it's an utter disgrace, how do we expect people to come into our city with those charges, and to be honest only for I live here I wouldn't come here to shop as most of the shops are crap, and with TK max going soon why would you bother coming into a crap city.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We parked on Bray seafront recently and it was 30c per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

200motels wrote: »
    Yes we're being ripped off by the greedy city councel, I was in Cork yesterday and to park in the streets it's only 1 euro an hour compared to 1.80 here, it's an utter disgrace, how do we expect people to come into our city with those charges, and to be honest only for I live here I wouldn't come here to shop as most of the shops are crap, and with TK max going soon why would you bother coming into a crap city.

kinda agree with you

Dont think its a crap city as such, but defineatly one of the poorest, when I was in school Waterford was bigger or at worse equal to Galway.. Now we lag far behind..

Too many councilors wanting to be seeing in the spotlight but not doing enough in the background. The opening of the Waterford Crystal place on the mall a prime example.. where were they when the original site was being wound up, ?? Hiding no doubt...

Same for planning, how can 1 man (McCann) get away wit so much...
    farce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

savic04 wrote: »
    kinda agree with you

farce

get away with what?
    not buying into the speculation of fat cat gamblers and their reckless developements pity a few more werent stopped inflating the bubble...theres plenty of half finished ghost estates in waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It is expensive to park on the street in Waterford, I usually park in the pre-pay car park across from Tony and Guy, because you can just put in enough money for 1/2 hour, though that means I rush back to the car rather than browse shops.

I am surprised that Cork is €1 per hour, though I remember parking across the river from Merchants Quay SC and having to pay per hour on a Sunday.

Atleast parking in Waterford is free on Sunday, thought the pay car parks are often more than 1/2 full on a Sunday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    It is expensive to park on the street in Waterford, I usually park in the pre-pay car park across from Tony and Guy, because you can just put in enough money for 1/2 hour

I believe you can pay in 10 minute blocks in the council parking. At least, it used to be that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

savic04 wrote: »
    kinda agree with you

Dont think its a crap city as such, but defineatly one of the poorest, when I was in school Waterford was bigger or at worse equal to Galway.. Now we lag far behind..

Too many councilors wanting to be seeing in the spotlight but not doing enough in the background. The opening of the Waterford Crystal place on the mall a prime example.. where were they when the original site was being wound up, ?? Hiding no doubt...

farce

I used wrong choice of words it's not crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The rate is 1.80 per hour but you can pay in increments of 20c I think from zero minutes so if you only need 20 mins that what you can pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Hmm, I thought the minimum was something like 30mins. Last time I fed a meter it seemed to require a few coins before it worked.

On another note, parked in the Clock Tower carpark for 10mins last week and had to pay something like 2 euro for the privilege!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe I'm wrong - quite posssible In fact. Either way free/cheap parking is a draw and goodness knows Waterford needs all the help it can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Next time you are going to cork, pop into Midleton town.
    They have FREE parking, the town is tidy, vibrant and very busy.
    I found it easy enough to get a parking space even though the town was busy. People naturally leave when they have done their business in town :D

1 euro should be maximum we should pay in Waterford City, its not as if we are living in Dublin. For me to come into city centre at lunch time for a bit to eat I have to add about 2 euro to the cost of my meal purely for parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I was popping into the park recently with two kids and a pram. Park Road was full so parked outside Declans school. Noticed that wasn't free and needed to walk a good 5 mins to where the pay point was.

When you have kids with you the last thing you need is looking for a pay point and then walking back to the car, especially around the park of all places. What also annoyed me was that the machine didn't offer change. Lucky I had some in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Parking charges is an income stream for Waterford City Council. From what i know, the City Manager suggested at the last budget meeting that they required more money from parking due to the fall in income generated by planning contributions. It looks like it is here to stay unless someone has a bright idea on how we finance the Local Authority!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

The annoying thing is the max of 2 hours. Now that makes sense for the middle of the town but I live on a street that is residential and subject to the same parking times and prices as town. If someone comes to visit the house you have to throw 3.60 into the machine for two hours and if they stay for longer then that you have to remember to go back down and put more money into it.

They also changed the times for Friday evenings (could be the rest of the week as well I wouldn't know). Up until 3 weeks ago or thereabouts Friday was like any other day of the week, stopping around 6 o'clock. Now the times are stretched until 9 o'clock. I have yet to see anyone checking for tickets gone 6 but herself normally stays in with me on a Friday night and has to put a ticket on the car for the following morning. Means it costs her (or me rather) 3.60 for the Friday night on the off chance they do work overtime, and then we have to go down once 9 o'clock passes and lump in another 3.60 for the following morning, otherwise she's up at 8am to get one. We asked about a visitors permit a while back and you need to be over 65 for it. The application form or the website mentions nothing about this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

witless1 wrote: »
    The annoying thing is the max of 2 hours. Now that makes sense for the middle of the town but I live on a street that is residential and subject to the same parking times and prices as town. If someone comes to visit the house you have to throw 3.60 into the machine for two hours and if they stay for longer then that you have to remember to go back down and put more money into it.

They also changed the times for Friday evenings (could be the rest of the week as well I wouldn't know). Up until 3 weeks ago or thereabouts Friday was like any other day of the week, stopping around 6 o'clock. Now the times are stretched until 9 o'clock. I have yet to see anyone checking for tickets gone 6 but herself normally stays in with me on a Friday night and has to put a ticket on the car for the following morning. Means it costs her (or me rather) 3.60 for the Friday night on the off chance they do work overtime, and then we have to go down once 9 o'clock passes and lump in another 3.60 for the following morning, otherwise she's up at 8am to get one. We asked about a visitors permit a while back and you need to be over 65 for it. The application form or the website mentions nothing about this though.
    Bloody hell, that is ridiculous.

If the City Manager wants to bring in revenue to offset the predicable collpase of the planning revenue then I think ALL City Council employees should start paying parking fees. Then they will understand how annoying the cost is especially at weekends where they use their privileged sticker and yet dont have to pay for parking even though they are not working. As a result they use a car park space which doesnt bring in revenue while they are parked there and they can park for as long as they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Benimar

The cost, and duration, of parking is a joke to be honest. At €1.80 an hour I always feel as if I'm 'on the clock' when in town, so I generally just go in when I NEED something, pick it up and leave.

Parking charges are affecting business in my opinion as many people don't go in 'for a browse' anymore, nor will they run into town at lunchtime.

Also, if you want (need) to stay longer than 2 hours, you have to go to a car park as opposed to street parking, which, if you pick the wrong one (City Square) you can run up a nice bill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭kavsmdf

I'm not sure where in Cork the OP means, but I'm regularly in Cork City and to park on the street you need to buy tickets which are €2 per hour, and the car parks are a lot more expensive than that.

I was there on Friday and for 4 hours it was €10.90 in a car park, which is a 5 min walk from the City Center.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

Parking is making a difference mentioned on TK Max thread Penny's business was up 30% in railway square

My better half said not surprised as it is easier to drop in and park to get a few things between Tesco and Pennys as opposed to quays and city square Millar's Marsh does offer some value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Out of town shopping is unsustainable and kills the city centre because people don't feel that the offering warrants the parking charge. Clearly, improving the city centre is imperative so that people get good value for their buck.

€1.20 p/h is very reasonable anyway, imho. If you really can't afford 1.20, then maybe consider walking into town or getting the bus. Most people could walk in if they weren't so lazy. Or maybe walk in and get a taxi back, if you are going to spend the day in there. Plenty of places to eat and have a cup of coffee these days, and the town is buzzing on a Saturday with the market and entertainment (pretty much weekly for the the summer) in JR square.

merlante wrote: »
    €1.20 p/h is very reasonable anyway, imho. If you really can't afford 1.20, then maybe consider walking into town or getting the bus. Most people could walk in if they weren't so lazy.

Thats fine for people who live near to town. Walking really isn't an option for a lot of people. I'm far from lazy but it would take me about 4 hours to walk to town!

My issue is that when I get to town I always feel under pressure to get back to the car before my 2 hours are up, or if I'm in a car park to get back before the next hour ticks over.

If the charge was €1 an hour and you could park on-street all day then people would spend less time clock watching and possibly more shopping.

Benimar wrote: »
    Thats fine for people who live near to town. Walking really isn't an option for a lot of people. I'm far from lazy but it would take me about 4 hours to walk to town!

My issue is that when I get to town I always feel under pressure to get back to the car before my 2 hours are up, or if I'm in a car park to get back before the next hour ticks over.

If the charge was €1 an hour and you could park on-street all day then people would spend less time clock watching and possibly more shopping.

With respect, people make their decisions when they move out of town, to live in a quieter, rural location (4hrs away is definitely rural), at the cost of having to drive everywhere and pay for parking. The infrastructure of the commercial district of a city has to be paid for, and parking charges are route one.

In fairness, the only difference between €1.20 and €1 per hour is 20c and slightly easier arithmetic. Just pop €2.50 in the box and come back in a couple of hours and you'll be grand. I doubt you'd be stung for running a few minutes over in any case -- although I'm sure people will say they have been. No matter what the cost is, people won't enjoy paying it.

• Advertisement

Just pop €2.50 in the box and come back in a couple of hours and you'll be grand. I doubt you'd be stung for running a few minutes over in any case -- although I'm sure people will say they have been. No matter what the cost is, people won't enjoy paying it.

But isn't that the problem, on street parking is limited to two hours? Surely if I am willing to spend 6 hours in town eating, drinking, shopping or whatever, I shouldn't have to run back to the car every two hours?

I can assure you that my arithmetic is good enough to multiply €1.20 by a number, but whats wrong with €1? It's a perfect price point for advertising etc (something the city also needs to do more of, but thats another topic).

Also, I'm not not living 'in the sticks' so I don't have to go to town, and there really isn't an incentive to do so.

Finally, we all know people who have been 'done' for running a few minutes over on the meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I can assure you that my arithmetic is good enough to multiply €1.20 by a number, but whats wrong with €1? It's a perfect price point for advertising etc (something the city also needs to do more of, but thats another topic).

On street parking should be kept for shoppers. If its too cheap then people working in the city centre will arrive at 9am, get all the good spots, and shoppers will have to go to the big car parks. Its better to have the workers go to the big car parks, and on-street parking must be expensive enough (and off street cheap enough) to push them there.

But isn't that the problem, on street parking is limited to two hours? Surely if I am willing to spend 6 hours in town eating, drinking, shopping or whatever, I shouldn't have to run back to the car every two hours?

Also, I'm not not living 'in the sticks' so I don't have to go to town, and there really isn't an incentive to do so.

Finally, we all know people who have been 'done' for running a few minutes over on the meter.

I didn't realise that 2 hrs was the max...

If you're 4 hrs walk to Waterford, you must be miles out in fairness. I'd walk in from Tramore in that time.

I didn't realise that 2 hrs was the max...

If you're 4 hrs walk to Waterford, you must be miles out in fairness. I'd walk in from Tramore in that time.

Well, 4 hours might be on a slow day! I wouldn't be walking it every day mind you!

€1.20 p/h is very reasonable anyway, imho. If you really can't afford 1.20, then maybe consider walking into town or getting the bus.

Where is it 1.20 an hour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

bkehoe wrote: »
    Where is it 1.20 an hour?

Yes where is it €1.20 an hour - it always costs me €2.

Went for lunch on Saturday with a couple of friends and we decided to have a look round the shops, but we we had to leave city square after 30 minutes because I had parked by the Old Park and the 2 hours were up. Not very conducive to a relaxing look round the town on the weekend. And the place was half empty as well :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Here's a thought make parking free for a few months and people might actually get in the habit of coming into town - more shops might open meaning more employment - then parking can be charged for because enough people will have the money to pay for it.

Simply or what

Didn't they try the free parking for a few hours in the morning a few months ago? Think I remember something about that anyway, though I was never in town looking for a space that early - afternoon is usually when I might pop into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

I know this is'nt related to Waterford City as such but the first Thursday of every month is free in Dungarvan, even that takes the edge off things a bit !! Its minimum 1.10c in Dungarvan also so not too bad and there is no minimum/maximum stay either. Waterford city is desperate when it comes to even finding a car park space on a Saturday or busy Sunday, fine if your from the city as you know where to go but to outsiders it can be difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

dayshah wrote: »
    On street parking should be kept for shoppers. If its too cheap then people working in the city centre will arrive at 9am, get all the good spots, and shoppers will have to go to the big car parks. Its better to have the workers go to the big car parks, and on-street parking must be expensive enough (and off street cheap enough) to push them there.

Workers should not have to pay for parking, with so little jobs around and the pay being but all the time you would be better off on the dole. Workers need to be protected.

Advertisement