Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rusted saddle pole!!

• 07-08-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

i have tried everything i can think of to higher my saddle which is rusted. i have used wd40, ac90(both spray oils) and a friend has told me to use coke on it as the acid in the drink eats the rust away but to no avail. i literally have been sweating tying to losen this pole. can anyone help me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Post on this problem recently.

You will probably have to buy a new seatpost after you destroy old one getting it out.

Might be worth talking to Mr. Skeffington as he can probably get the old one out and supply you with a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Post on this problem recently.

You will probably have to buy a new seatpost after you destroy old one getting it out.

Might be worth talking to Mr. Skeffington as he can probably get the old one out and supply you with a replacement.
    thanks. ive been meaning to get in touch with him but have been very busy lately.

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭daroadlescycled

keane=cock wrote: »
    i have tried everything i can think of to higher my saddle which is rusted. i have used wd40, ac90(both spray oils) and a friend has told me to use coke on it as the acid in the drink eats the rust away but to no avail. i literally have been sweating tying to losen this pole. can anyone help me?

THe only way left now is to cut it out with a new hacksaw blade (along the inside of the post) if it's alloy you will cut it out in 15 min, if its mild steel it will take longer. Tedious job but always works.
    Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭fazer1

Hi new to this forum and this is my first post.
    If the frame is metal you could try to gently heat it where the seat post is and while it is hot try to remove the seat post. You could use hot water to heat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

If you are that desperate, and almost ready to write off the frame. I would consider heat and as a last resort, crushing the post.

First, spray wd40 on the outside, and inside - cut the post if you have not already done so. I would do this every day for a week. Use at least a full can. Your bottom bracket will probably not be too happy with this technique so get ready to take it out and re-grease.

Next, drill a hole through the seatpost at the top so that you can put a bar or screwdriver through in order to try and break it free.

Then, I would heat it up. Don't glow it, yet, but have patience. Heat, try to twist, cool, WD40, and so on.

If the frame isn't worth much, or if you do not have a lot of patience, get it nice and hot, and try twisting.

In the end, you may wish to try and crush the bar into itself, more complicated than it sounds as you do not wish to take the circular cross section and make it oval. The frame will not appreciate this.

If you can see where the rust is prominent, try crushing so that you lose contact there.

But, if it is between the trash or crushing...

• Advertisement
Advertisement