Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build advice please

Options
  • 07-08-2010 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

I'm building a new PC. Couldn't really decide on i5 or i7 but think I'll go for I5. Also, decided on SSD for main boot drive and games (for speed), with data all stored on a RAID 1 mirrored pair of 1TB drives (for data safety - but also have external backup).
    Any advice on components chosen?
    Will using RAID, slow down my boot-up time - should I abandon that and just use external backup?

Thanks

newpct.jpg
    Can't seem to get image uploaded...attaching instead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

Has anybody any thoughts or recommendations on this build before I go ahead and buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

vicadd wrote: »
    I'm building a new PC. Couldn't really decide on i5 or i7 but think I'll go for I5. Also, decided on SSD for main boot drive and games (for speed), with data all stored on a RAID 1 mirrored pair of 1TB drives (for data safety - but also have external backup).
    Any advice on components chosen?
    Will using RAID, slow down my boot-up time - should I abandon that and just use external backup?

Thanks

newpct.jpg
    Can't seem to get image uploaded...attaching instead.

Wow you will have a one beast of a machine when you have it put together please keep us informed as in to how it performs when up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

Thumbs up, great machine
    Do you want to upgrade to Crossfire later? If not, the PSU is a bit overpowered. I'd get a different cooler, but that's just me :)
    Final thing: Please remember a RAID does not replace a seperate backup.

Thanks for positive votes on build.
    I was wondering if PSU was too much as I will not likely go Crossfire. Any thoughts on what is enough - would a 650W do?
    Like this which is £30 cheaper?
    Antec TruePower New 650W Modular PSU

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159920

Will take a look at a different cooler - happy to take any recommendations, preferably a quiet one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

Biggest consumers (CPU and GPU) TDP's are 95 and 150, so lets say 250W, which means 21Amps on the 12V rails for these. Adding chipset, HDDs, fans etc. (another 10-12A) and a bit of safety buffer you wont ever need more than a good 400W PSU.
    That Antec TruePower New series is quite a good one, and would even be enough for a 5850 Crossfire setup, if you ever want to go for that, so go for it (£78 on ebuyer is ok).
    Some nice coolers currently on ebuyer are Akasa Venom / Nero-S, Prolimatech Megahalems or Corsair A50, with the latter ones definitely in another price league.
    Your Arctic Freezer will be fine, of course, just not as quiet as the more expensive ones :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,265 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well I could find you some power charts: My corsair 700W supply reaches peak efficiency when its only under 60% load (350-400W) and anything above 60% the fan starts to speed up and the noise begins to increase from whisper-quiet to a whirr.

My thinking is I would rather have a PSU that was not under considerable load, than a PSU that was always being pushed to its limits: that can't be good on the Capicitors.

I got the 700W but to give you an idea:

hx850-noise-chart.gif

hx850-efficiency-chart.gif

Read a great review of some CPU coolers the other week too I'll try and find it.

edit: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2535.html

The Scythe Mugen-2 Rev. B being the clear winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I put that Arctic Freezer 7 pro on my i3 and i'd agree that its a wee bit noisy.

I was building on a budget and in a small case so for 15 quid im happy enough but on your budget i'd go for something better.

Thanks for the input folks..

I started putting the spec together today to buy and Scan.co.uk seemed to be better priced and had stock for what I wanted. I've decided to go with the Antec TruePower New 650W - it should really be plenty for this build.
    Also decided on a Thermalright MUX-120 CPU cooler. This came out pretty well in the review that you linked to Overheal and I think it'll be easier to install and less likely to get in way of the RAM, in comparison with the Scythe.
    I'm going to hold on for a few more days and look at some reviews before deciding on the monitor and maybe re-thinking the SSD and GPU as well. I won't be buying again for a long time, so want to make sure I get everything right now.

Advertisement