Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowling in Galway?!

Options
  • 07-08-2010 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

Okay am hoping to get a few together for an evening's Bowling.

Sorry for short notice, but was thinking possibly this coming week, as personally I find planning far ahead doesn't work out.

So all or any-one is invited! The more the merrier! Should be fun! Please indicate your Location preference, either Leisure World Headford Road, or City Limits in Oranmore, and select which date most suits you, maybe add in other days which suit in replies and we'll go from there .....

Where and when suits you for Bowling in Galway? 32 votes

City Limits Oranmore
    0%
    Leisure World Headford road
    31%
    [Deleted User]El_DangerosoAcoshlamazthesparkbrainyneurontoadflyspender.jbaldshin30ladyhiggs123 10 votes
    Thursday 12th August
    34%
    [Deleted User]hairyfairy00DrakmordFlojoTomebagelconfuseddotcom3fullbackmuskyjspender.jMs Fluorescenthiggs123 11 votes
    Friday 13th August
    6%
    confuseddotcombrainyneuron 2 votes
    Saturday 14th August
    12%
    El_DangerosoTomebagel3fullbackbaldshin 4 votes
    Sunday 15th August
    3%
    baldshin 1 vote
    Monday 16th August
    12%
    [Deleted User]brainyneuronspender.jbaldshin 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Monday 16th August
    I'm easy with location, played in both though I reckon that as the one beside Tesco has a bar it'd be a good choice... it's not a bad price either! (or last time I went there it was anyway)!

As for date, what about Wednesday? (I can't make Tues or Thurs)

Thursday 12th August
    As far as I remember there's a bar in the Oranmore bowling place too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Friday 13th August
    Yip J will keep Wednesday in mind. I'm easy on Location too, just added Oranmore as another choice, but see what ya mean. Personally can go any day except for the 14th, due to family commitments.

Friday 13th August
    Is there Boney? I actually went and rang Leisure World to check and they confirmed there was, I had assumed from the Website Oranmore had, but can ring and check in a bit unless any-one knows for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Poll amended as per request.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Saturday 14th August
    I don't think you can drink in the Leisureworld bar unless you are a club member. Not sure what the story is with Oranmore.

Anyway 'tis a good idea, I'll pop along. Nice to have a meetup that doesn't revolve around the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I can only go on Monday so I'll probably miss it if it's being left til later in the week. Oranmore would suit me better though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't think you can drink in the Leisureworld bar unless you are a club member. Not sure what the story is with Oranmore.

Anyway 'tis a good idea, I'll pop along. Nice to have a meetup that doesn't revolve around the pub.

Yes there's a bar in Oranmore and nope you don't have to be a member in either Oran or Leisureworld to buy drinks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Saturday 14th August
    Yes there's a bar in Oranmore and nope you don't have to be a member in either Oran or Leisureworld to buy drinks.

Well that's what they told me!! *Shakes fist*

I must have looked like an undesirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I'm not around for bowling but just to let ye know, the last time I went to Oranmore bowling, drinking was only permitted on selected lanes, not all of them.. Luckily I got a drinking lane :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I'm in, Oranmore suits me way better and any evening really but I voted Monday!

EDIT: am not in Galway next weekend so Monday is only night I can go.

Spadina wrote: »
    I can only go on Monday so I'll probably miss it if it's being left til later in the week. Oranmore would suit me better though.

If this goes ahead we can carpool if you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Monday 16th August
    Sounds good, I missed the last bowling meet up due to exams! Can do most of those dates apart from the Fri and Sat (will be in dublin at two other meet ups :p:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

oranmore has a bar alright but you do have to book for it in advance afaik its kind of a party area seperated from the other lanes. so an idea of numbers would probably be needed first :) im up for it tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭30lady

Should be fun...i'm in :D

Friday 13th August
    I phoned both Locations to check about drinking at bowling, and was given a resounding confident yes, but if that's only on certain lanes, it's a bit pointless if lanes are booked/taken when we get there, and it's too late then lol, so I tried to get some more info through email. Haven't got any reply back from City Limits Oranmore yet (which seems to be preferred location here,) but just to add Leisure World's reply;

Bowling costs €32 per lane per hour. Lanes have a maximum of 6 people each.
    They open 11am - 11.30pm, the Bar is located in the Bowling Area, and they have no restrictions on food/drink in the bowling area.
    They have a Subway restaurant and can offer us a Subway Platter which is Eighteen 4 inch mixed Subs on a platter at a cost of €36.
    Or they can also provide us with baskets of cocktail sausages and chips at a cost of €7.50 per basket. But food needs to be booked one day in advance.
    (Didn't know they had a Subway Restaurant there, and I don't see anything about it on their Website either.)

All of the above would be as a corporate package, and the baskets of food would be a good idea i.m.o. @ €7.50 each! :)

Also they do have a mid-week offer running Monday-Friday up to 7pm, and Sundays After 8pm, with 2 Games/Hours of Bowling for the Price of 1, which would work out at €6 for €3.

That's all the info I got for now. :pac:

Thursday 12th August
    Good work getting all that info. It sounds pretty interesting but it should be important to say that you don't have to drink (would I be right in saying?), because there would be some boardsie's who would be put off otherwise.

Good going confuseddotcom, thanks for putting in the work!
    Good work getting all that info. It sounds pretty interesting but it should be important to say that you don't have to drink (would I be right in saying?), because there would be some boardsie's who would be put off otherwise.

Well I wont be drinking as I will be driving to Loughrea after :p my first boardsie meetup how exciting!

Friday 13th August
    Yes of course drinking not a necessity at all. Just trying to keep all happy! But this is Ireland! Are we ever happy?!?!:D:rolleyes::)

Originally my bowling idea was as a suggestion/option to the Tea-party Meet-up, as some didn't seem too keen as they had said they would like to be able to have a drink. Personally I don't know would tea-drinking and meeting new people work well either lol as it would be rather awkward, but apparently the tea-meet went ahead and it went well so fair play to ye! :D

But anyways there's no disguising that drinking in Ireland is seen as an activity or thing-to-do lol. So that's when I thought of Bowling as it did have a Bar a few years back last time when I went, so, with Bar still in operation lol, that would take care of those wanting a drink, and we'd all still have the Bowling activity. :)

Is any-one still interested??!!?? :D:p
    :(:(

I am!

Not in Galway the weekend so Monday suits me :D

• Advertisement

Thursday 12th August
    Originally my bowling idea was as a suggestion/option to the Tea-party Meet-up, as some didn't seem too keen as they had said they would like to be able to have a drink. Personally I don't know would tea-drinking and meeting new people work well either lol as it would be rather awkward, but apparently the tea-meet went ahead and it went well so fair play to ye! :D

It went pretty well. Was a lot of fun chatting to everybody and then Xiney, spender j and I stayed til about 10:30 just chatting away.

I'm definately interested in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

ya still interested too :) i wonder would they let u book a few lanes if u had an idea how many were goin and if ppl didnt show u just wouldnt use or have to pay for them? just in case a lot of ppl showed or in oranmore where the lanes served from bar are seperate neway u would probably get the whole area either way. if ur interested in using city limits mite be able to organise something if the guy i know still works there :)

Friday 13th August
    Sure ask your friend if he's working there. :) Oranmore seems to be preferred choice as it stands. Question is will folk show up?!? :rolleyes::pac:

Dunno would ya find any-one these days that'd book something without taking money before-hand though?! But it all depends on numbers going doesn't it, so we kinda need to establish numbers and then sort out lanes. :):D

Friday 13th August
    Word back from City Limits - they have six licensed lanes where alcohol can be served. That's all they gave me to go on / work with! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Quite a different reply to Leisure World one has to say. :pac::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Ms Fluorescent

Thursday 12th August
    I wont be back in Galway til monday so hopefully it happens then!! he he

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

whatever happened to bowling green?

wasn't there a place out riverside as well or is that gone as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

If people need a lift to oranmore I could drive pending on me not having to work on monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Fuinseog wrote: »
    whatever happened to bowling green?

wasn't there a place out riverside as well or is that gone as well

The place out in Riverside is closed since many moons ago....

Is this still going ahead? I have a dentist app Monday in Sligo at 6.30, probably wont be back til 9ish.

Can we do it Tues night? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I am working monday so I cant go, or give any1 a lift.

Advertisement