Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phoenix Park Race on Tuesday?

• 07-08-2010 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if this race is going ahead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

To answer my own question - it's not going ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Hopes raised and dashed. You bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

To answer my own question - it's not going ahead

Anybody know why?

To be losing races in the park is an absolute disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Probably because there are too many fat stupid annoying pedestrians in the cycle lanes!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They don't race in the cycle lanes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It's a bit odd, there are regular duathalons held there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

If they just called it a "fred-athon race" there would be no problems

I dont get why the park officals dont like bike racing, im wondering is there some pay off .. becasue i think the duathlons cost around 20 euro and they attract well more people than the bike race at 10 euro a head ?

levitronix wrote: »
    I dont get why the park officals dont like bike racing, im wondering is there some pay off .. becasue i think the duathlons cost around 20 euro and they attract well more people than the bike race at 10 euro a head ?

I dont know what the craic is but its not good.

When i was marshaliing at one of the races last year i ended up talking to a guy who actually lives in a house towards the bottom of the military road. Didnt even know it existed. And he started banging on to me about all the events that are held in the park and how inconvenient it is for him!! I was gobsmacked to be honest! I dont know who he was or how he ended up living there but i thought he was showing some serious neck to be complaining like that!

At the end of the day it's a park for the people. Thats what it was designed for and thats what it should be used for. In my mind it's 1 of the foundation stones of irish cycling along with the Ras and to lose it would be tragedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

There was something cycling races held there last wednesday, saw them walking the dog. or was it these dualathons gavin is talking about. What are these, how do get involved, looks fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Maybe they don't like bunch cycling?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

We has permission almost sorted for a Cross race there last winter but permission was refused. There are people or persons in power who want no bike race's at all in the park :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Might be cancelled for the same reason as the Andy Mc Mahon Memorial ( more and more requirements from the park authorities -marshals, portaloos and so on).

I think it's something that cycling ireland should make a stand on.

Not fair to be leaving everything to the same people all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I think a concerted effort to raise this issue might be in order, I'll do some homework on it tomorrow , names of decision makers esp

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I think a concerted effort to raise this issue might be in order, I'll do some homework on it tomorrow , names of decision makers esp

Well you have my backing anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

emtroche wrote: »
    Well you have my backing anyway.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

I blame Lance Armstrong. He even painted his name on the road. Gurrier.

Advertisement