Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remediating a module...

Options
  • 07-08-2010 4:54pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick question I wanted to post here to clear things up. I failed one of my option modules in Semester 2 of Stage 1. According to the module details on the UCD website:
    Remediation
    Students who fail this module, may avail of a resit opportunity in the first semester of the new academic year 2010-2011. The resit will be a two hour examination during the winter examination schedule.

Am I right in thinking that I could just drop the repeat of this module and take up an entirely different class in its place? Since I have to pay the €230 or whatever it is anyway I'd like to take a class I'd enjoy. Do I need to talk to the programme office about it or can I just register myself for an "extra" class during registration to make up the extra 5 credits?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Yes you can, as long as you meet the requirements of your programme, but then you have to pay for that new course, which costs about twice as much (depending on course). I considered doing that after failing an elective in the first semester last year, but I'm cheap and decided to re-sit, capped grade and all.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I passed the two core modules I need to progress to Stage 2 in that subject so it's all good :D

Does it cost more?? I thought I'd have to pay €230 either way (resit or new class), but if it's cheaper then I'd definitely just do the resit! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Substitute modules do cost more. How much depends on your course, but for Arts it is something like €350.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Here is a link to information on repeat/resit/substitution of modules:

http://www.ucd.ie/students/resits_repeats/

Here is a link to the fees for repeat/resit/substitute modules (it's the 2009/2010 figures):

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/repeat/first_year.htm

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Thanks everyone. :) Looks like I'll just do the resit. Thank god the exam is in winter and not in August or I'd be screwed! :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement