Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bandwidth Managment for Appartments.

Options
  • 07-08-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭

Ok I looking to share my DSL connection using a sonicwall TZ 170, This is currently running the standard OS

I think I have to upgrade to the enhanced OS to get this feature, Does any one if this is correct,

Also once I have the bandwidth managed on the DMZ port I will then have 10 -15 different apartment connected into a switch which In turn I will need to be able to manage bandwidth per APT. Will I require a Layer 3 switch for this?

Also Id like to be able to view traffic per appartments

What the best options for this

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Firstly, I doubt that you need anything extra at the router/firewall just to share a DSL connection. Anything connected to the LAN side of the firewall can have Internet access.

How do you intend to distribute the local network to each apartment? Will it be cabled/wireless both (and if wireless then will each Apt be required to supply their own wireless router)? Also how do you intend to identify computers in Apt A from those in Apt B etc.?

And lastly, what's the overall ADSL bandwidth? The TZ170 can really struggle if you turn on any "filtering" features and it might be time to try something else depending on how you'd like things to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

I will need to keep the Admin network separate from the appts. So I would be using the DMZ port to split but form the DMZ then I can control the site bandwidth using the sonicwall say its a 8mb line I can filter 50% of bandwidth to the DMZ port but from there then I would like to give each appt lets say 1mb connection each..... I think I would need a layer 3 switch for this

All Appts would have cat 6 back to a central patch panel

Ive been looking at the Sonicwall NSA 2400..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

You still probably going to have issues here if you have one provider.

Anyway, I would segment the whole thing with VLAN's and then give each apartment a "dedicated amount".

I'd try to use dual SDSL for this for consistent bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

Yeah I was thinking the same but I think I'll still need a Layer 3 switch? also would need to upgrade the sonicwall.

What can i use to monitor use age on each vlan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

A very useful page I read about bandwidth management was this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk545/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a3a25.shtml#policingvsshaping

I know it's cisco, but the principles should be the same - for upload you can buffer a certain amount of data from each user before sending it out, whereas with inbound data you can set the router to simply drop data when they go above their committed rate.

One thing I have noticed with multiple users - if p2p is to be used - the router has to have plenty of ram, to keep track of the many connections...

• Advertisement

tech wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking the same but I think I'll still need a Layer 3 switch? also would need to upgrade the sonicwall.

What can i use to monitor use age on each vlan.

Router on a stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

tech wrote: »
    .......Ive been looking at the Sonicwall NSA 2400..

Woah there! Between Layer 3 switches and Sonicwall routers, I think you're heading towards spending about 10x what you actually need to. It's only 10-15 bleedin' apartments after all - not a small city!

For 10-15 apartments, you could set something up with say 2 of these Mikrotik units and you'd then be able to do everything you've described and much more (once you take a little time to learn how to use them of course).

There's a similar thread here

Regards
    Brian

I wouldn't mind getting a look at one of those Mikrotik units myself.

A 3550 would do the job?

Advertisement