Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Engineering Courses / Education

• 07-08-2010 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads...

I qualified as MCP x 4 on Windows 2000, before deciding they were just impractical for solving real workplace issues and not finishing the MCSE. I then did the CCNA, which I passed and was very useful... But that was about four years ago... I also have a 2nd class honours degree in Applied Physics from years back.

Any recommendations on what courses I could do now to do to bolster up the CV? Was thinking of updating the CCNA, but not mad on wasting my time on all the wireless stuff and IOS stuff, which I would never use... Dont want to do the MCSE exams as I think they are a waste of time.

regards,
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Hi lads...

I qualified as MCP x 4 on Windows 2000, before deciding they were just impractical for solving real workplace issues and not finishing the MCSE. I then did the CCNA, which I passed and was very useful... But that was about four years ago... I also have a 2nd class honours degree in Applied Physics from years back.

Any recommendations on what courses I could do now to do to bolster up the CV? Was thinking of updating the CCNA, but not mad on wasting my time on all the wireless stuff and IOS stuff, which I would never use... Dont want to do the MCSE exams as I think they are a waste of time.

regards,
    J

What about some RedHat Linux certs? Very well respected in industry, because the exam involves practial administration during the exam. No multiple choice bull****.
    You can't pass those exams by braindumping. Linux is one area that isn't dropping off in terms of server systems. Even the fastest supercomputer in the world runs Linux:)

So, to conclude, go with RedHat. Far better than standard MCSE certs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Naikon wrote: »
    So, to conclude, go with RedHat. Far better than standard MCSE certs.

Funny you should say that.. I've just installed Ubuntu and been recording my music ('Im a part time musician) on to it, installed the LAMP server, set up Network, sharing, webcam etc etc ... BUT I thought certification with Linux wouldnt be useful as there are so many distros. I guess it would look good on the CV though.. Okay that's exam one for me to study for ... next..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

You might look at the Cisco certifications too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

He has CCNA already :) - could go CCNP but be a good bit of work I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

I wouldnt dismiss the MCSE so quickly.. your right about them being of limited benefit in real life situations but there is a lot of stuff that can be learned from them, especially around DNS and AD stuff! They are also a requirement for a lot of jobs being advertised

• Advertisement

corkcomp wrote: »
    I wouldnt dismiss the MCSE so quickly.. your right about them being of limited benefit in real life situations but there is a lot of stuff that can be learned from them, especially around DNS and AD stuff! They are also a requirement for a lot of jobs being advertised

Well I work for myself, which I probably should have stated, so when I said bolster up my CV I really meant my ego ;-) I'm gonna look at the linux suggestion above, as it's an area that will be huge in the future..

Well what annoyed me about the Microsoft Networking exam was those stupid multiple choice questions, "Whats the best way of" doing something according to Microsoft (for example, Roaming Profiles, which caused a disaster the one time I did try to use them). The DNS stuff is certainly useful, but I rather learn a generic explanation of DNS / DHCP etc etc than the world according to Microsoft.
    He has CCNA already - could go CCNP but be a good bit of work I'd imagine.

Yeah, I got the CCNA comfortably enough, got well over 900 points. Was considering the CCNP, but this tends to be very Cisco specific and involves a lot of stuff that I simply will never use (and will have forgotten within a week). What I liked about the CCNA is that it is a very good grounding in IP / subnetting / networking in general... It is probably the computer exam that I found most useful/practical..

I really just want to do something while things are quiet. Even thinking of offering my services for free to a local charity.

http://www.europe.redhat.com/training/

Just been looking up the RedHat training. I might go for RHCT, which at first I thought was a Red Hot Chili Tepper, but is in fact a RedHat Certified Technician.. Wonder if there is anywhere in the midlands where I can sit such a thing... oh and I will need to get the material as well, cos I dont have 2k to spend on a course.. I usually just get the books and cram like mad.

Advertisement