Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am i right to be annoyed?

• 07-08-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Ok car failed nct on cv joint. went into the autoparts shop, gave them car info, had exact model of car and chassis number. The shop orders the part, 80.

Mechanic today goes to fit part, its the wrong one. There is slight difference in parts between models of my car. Unfortunately part jammed in place and had to be cut out. So now I've a useless part, car without its new much needed cv joint, and now i'll have to get part again and get mechanic again!
    This means i'm gonna be down 160 for parts alone, not to mention labour charges.

Would I be right if i go into the shop and give them a bit of an earful. They assured it would be the right part, but it wasn't. They obviously did not pass much heed on car details given to them when they ordered part.

I am livid at the moment, so is my mechanic, i'm leaving complainin until monday when i am calmer, and I will be polite in my complaint, but am I in any position to ask for part refund? Or at least the next part to be half price or some sort of remedy to situation as such? grr so annoyed :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Tbh, I would look for another mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Was just thinking the same, surely the onus is on your mechanic to double check any part they fit?

Yes be annoyed with yer mechanic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

you should haave let the mechanic get the part then his problem.

False economy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

The autoparts palce would normally take it back and exchange it for the right part but as your mechanic broke it they won't. They can't be held liable seeing as your mechanic broke it. As other have said, the mechanic should have checked.

Explain the situation, they may have some goodwill towards you andmight offer a discount on the correct part, also you mechanic should drop the previous bill and make sure he hasn't caused any damage by jamming the wrong part on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I replaced the front discs and pads on my car last year, before I went down to the motor factors I got the part num from the Quinton Hazell website just for my own reference. Gave the motor factors details of car and checked what he gave me matched the part numbers I got off the manufacturer's site which they did.

Got home, stripped the brakes and double checked pads against the old ones before fitting, they were different. Checked the old pads against the website and they were listed for a completely different model. Luckily the motor factors was only a 15min walk and they changed the pads no problem.

The point being it's not always the motor factor's fault, the OEM manufacter had specified the wrong part number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Fair enough. The parts are almost identical though so can see why mechanic just went ahead and went to put it in. It seems there was only a few mm in difference which caused the problem!

I'm just stressed about having to get part again and all the rigmarole again!

Cheers for all the replies.

Advertisement