Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honey - great all round natural high energy food to carry when cycling?

• 07-08-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

Got caught out on long cycles with energy running low before. Is honey the ideal natural, high energy food to carry?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I imagine it would work somewhat like a gel but perhaps be more palatable. It is basically sugar and water. I think something with more starchy carbohydrates would be more ideal. I think the more important thing is that you carry something with you; what that is exactly may be less important. I manage generally on whatever is available locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Honey Stinger products are great, don't think anyone stocks them here. The gels taste pretty good.

http://www.honeystinger.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

I have tasted sesame seed / honey bars, they are not bad at all.

This is a sample breakdown of one I found on the www. Does it compare favourably with the other sweet and Ive heard disgusting energy bars? Anyone nutrition savvy here?

Ingredients
    Sesame seeds 60%,sugar 10%,honey 29%,natural orange flavour1%
    Nutritional Information
    per 100g - energy 4295kj/574kcal,carbohydrate 38.9g of which sugar 10g,fat 40g of which saturates 6g,protein 14g,fibre3.6g sa;lt trace.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Decathlon sell pouches of honey just like gels, so yeah it seems like a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Decathlon sell pouches of honey just like gels, so yeah it seems like a great idea.

Who are Decathlon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

worded wrote: »
    Who are Decathlon?
    French sports shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I foresee stickiness and blood sugar spikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Lumen wrote: »
    I foresee stickiness and blood sugar spikes.

I foresee beeeeeeees!

BeeBeard.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Who are Decathlon?

Mecca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

is decathalon a sports shop like champion and lifestyle? :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

blorg wrote: »
    I imagine it would work somewhat like a gel but perhaps be more palatable. It is basically sugar and water. I think something with more starchy carbohydrates would be more ideal. I think the more important thing is that you carry something with you; what that is exactly may be less important. I manage generally on whatever is available locally.

I make a gel from Honey, Maple Syrup, Molasses, pinch of salt. Works great, much tastier than many of the gels around, and a lot cheaper.

kenmc wrote: »
    I make a gel from Honey, Maple Syrup, Molasses, pinch of salt. Works great, much tastier than many of the gels around, and a lot cheaper.

How do you package it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Sounds interesting. What do you carry it in?

Lumen wrote: »
    How do you package it?
    Sounds interesting. What do you carry it in?

One of these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

neris wrote: »
    is decathalon a sports shop like champion and lifestyle? :D:D

No! Think more of B&Q, except for sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

What mix did u use for this kenmc ?

Was it something like 3 parts honey, 3 parts maple syrup, 1 part molasses ?

Actually, thinking about it, I use brown rice syrip instead of the molasses, the molasses is for energy bars more so.
    I use more honey and BRS than the maple, maple is quite expensive by comparison.
    Maybe about 3:3:1 I'd say, but it varies every time, I just do it by taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Actually, thinking about it, I use brown rice syrip instead of the molasses, the molasses is for energy bars more so.
    I use more honey and BRS than the maple, maple is quite expensive by comparison.
    Maybe about 3:3:1 I'd say, but it varies every time, I just do it by taste.

Ah right grand job kenmc, will have to get myself one of them high5 bottles to carry the stuff and try out your recipe. Was actually thinking i could maybe even just use the homemade gels and just use water in my bottles instead of the energy drinks.

Related thread here.

I used three gel flasks of maltodextrin + salt solution on the Etape Hibernia. It tastes neutral and not overly sweet, and although the stickiness was an issue when I spilled one on my fingers then wiped it on a shifter, I was carrying loads of plain water and it washed off no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Is honey the ideal natural, high energy food to carry?

NO!

• Advertisement
Advertisement