Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Americans think the Irish are crazy and drink a lot'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭seawolf145

T Don't forget that Americans have very different views on alcohol comsumption to us.

Dont forget the americans have a total different view of the world than we have.They think everything evolves around america and that america is the best thing on the planet.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

seawolf145 wrote: »
    Dont forget the americans have a total different view of the world than we have.They think everything evolves around america and that america is the best thing on the planet.

Good luck

Bit strong, don't you think?

But see what I mean? (Mis)conceptions work both ways.

Bit strong, don't you think?

But see what I mean? (Mis)conceptions work both ways.

Maybe on your planet not mine!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Good luck

Quite the obsessed little critter aren't you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Breaking News

Water is wet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

Excessive alcohol consumption is well renowned to cause mental health problems hence the "crazy" lable. Irish drinkers are known to consume more alcohol than many other nations, this has its consequences...
    http://alcoholireland.ie/?p=1425
    http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/country-has-almost-250000-alcoholics-95167.html

“Young people are inundated with sophisticated alcohol marketing whether on television, cinema, the internet, or social networking sites such as Facebook - it’s hard to imagine a sports, music or other cultural event in Ireland that isn’t sponsored by the alcohol industry. It’s time we recognise the cost of binge drinking and the price we all pay.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

SeaFields wrote: »
    "Irish think the american are fat, stupid and trigger happy!"

Yes American are fat, stupid and trigger happy but at least us Irish don't have a superiority complex and fearful of identifying our weaknesses, such as alcoholism, etc.,

(... and c'mon people, Ireland drinks more alcohol per capita than nearly any other country in the world.)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

but at least us Irish don't have a superiority complex

Yeah, everybody loves us. How could we be superior?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

its funny cos its true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

imagine a few of us real irish dole heads in america on spring break by god we would show them a real session

• Advertisement

BASHIR wrote: »
    Was in Hyannis last year too ,All of my friends had jobs and they knew our "reputation" for drinking. Our employer actually gave us the day off every Thursday because Wednesday night was Irish night after been pretty hungover one morning, honestly imo OP I think it was got to do with location and the availability of jobs rather than our reputation

Bashir lived on sea street. Sea street boys were sound. I lived in 269B Bashir.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lloyd Xmas

Following on from this article, here's another incident from Australia that happened last night.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/passenger-assaults-cab-driver-steals-and-torches-taxi/comments-e6frf7kx-1225902323981

Its a shame really; but a lot of Irish youngsters are geared towards drinking as much as possible when abroad and have little respect for those around them.

Our ratio of backpackers etc wouldn't be as high as other countries yet time and again Irish kids feature in the headlines.

I think we really need to cop on otherwise we won't be welcome anywhere.
    I've experienced nasty comments and seen initial enthusiasm from potential employers vanish, purely because i'm Irish. Its the reliability factor.
    Is this lad gonna be reliable or will out on the pi$$ every night and hanging the next day. (I drink very rarely by the way)

Whether we like it or not, people think this is the way we all carry on.
    I don't hold it against anyone who views me in this way, because being honest, people will mostly look to categorize, therefore its down to us to present ourselves in a better light.

Honestly, what was the chap thinking when he thought the above would be a good idea :confused:

Well, I was working at landscaping in Hyannis. I never missed a day of work despite partying to 5AM most nights. Most of our friends were appreciative of the jobs we had. We wouldn't have let our employers down no matter how hung over we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lloyd Xmas

Good man; but a lot of employers want people to be ready and fresh for a days work... That's not to say you weren't, but there are plenty who'll head into work in sh!t shape.

If i'm an employer and I hire someone in a customer facing role, what kind of impression does my business give off if the eyeballs are hanging out of the lad on the front desk.

A lot of employers just won't take the chance with the Irish because of the reputation that's been built up; they'd rather shoot with a German etc... because they're reliable and never in the headlines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Lloyd Xmas wrote: »
    they'd rather shoot with a German etc... because they're reliable and never in the headlines.

WWII begs to differ

Lloyd Xmas wrote: »
    Good man; but a lot of employers want people to be ready and fresh for a days work... That's not to say you weren't, but there are plenty who'll head into work in sh!t shape.

If i'm an employer and I hire someone in a customer facing role, what kind of impression does my business give off if the eyeballs are hanging out of the lad on the front desk.

A lot of employers just won't take the chance with the Irish because of the reputation that's been built up; they'd rather shoot with a German etc... because they're reliable and never in the headlines.

I was doing landscaping. Been Irish was a major advantage with clients no matter hungover I was. They always thought I was the mexican's boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

They're students, they tend to think they're immune to everything, alot of students are pretty damn scummy TBH, but when students do scummy sh1t it's put down to youthful indiscretion, when scumbags do the same stuff, it's scummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 spaceman67

After spendind some time in dublin I think OMG, Irish are not really europeans, ,you are drinking like there is no tomorrow , you are disrespectfull to your neighbours, your puke is everywhere,street of dublin are filthy ,you are noisy at night. You think this behaviour is fun and something to be proud of ? , wow impressive you got drunk in CA and people should admire you for that? go to ibiza and do that there, but you can't trash place,and if you came to work you work and have fun, but behave. Europeans know you as bunch of trashy drunks so do americans,sorry but you dont deserve no respect, and your accent SUCKS

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

spaceman67 wrote: »
    After spendind some time in dublin I think OMG, Irish are not really europeans, ,you are drinking like there is no tomorrow , you are disrespectfull to your neighbours, your puke is everywhere,street of dublin are filthy ,you are noisy at night. You think this behaviour is fun and something to be proud of ? , wow impressive you got drunk in CA and people should admire you for that? go to ibiza and do that there, but you can't trash place,and if you came to work you work and have fun, but behave. Europeans know you as bunch of trashy drunks so do americans,sorry but you dont deserve no respect, and your accent SUCKS

Baby's first troll.

Quite the obsessed little critter aren't you?

Really and what are you then?And i am not little,6`3" and 230 pounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Like a South African once asked me:

Why did God invent whiskey?

So the Irish would take over the world.

And this doesnt happen anywhere else in Europe?My god Dublin must be unique then.The last time i was in Copenhagen,they seem to be doing the same there?

deman wrote: »
    Like a South African once asked me:

Why did God invent whiskey?

So the Irish would take over the world.

Theres more Irish in America then in Ireland.A pretty good start though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

But Americans are hated the world over for being fat, stupid, hypocritical, arrogant, racist (in the south at least), ignorant to the rest of the world and thinking everything they do is a god given right.

We're a shower of pissheads who get drunk and cause a little trouble...

And many Americans still say "Oh my gawd you're irish?! Me too! My grandfather once knew a guy who fell over a dog who was being walked by an Irish guy! So like, I'm an eight Irish"

**** off America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's exactly the same as our near neighbours in England do! Their reputation in Spain and their rep in Australia is exactly the same if not worse than ours for drinking. They also get accused of much more drunken violence too.

Aussi backpackers have a terrible reputation in parts of London too! So do the south Africans and the Kiwis.

18-21 year olds tend to be idiots when let loose abroad and when a bottle of alcohol suddenly doesn't cost 50quid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Nothing new with that headline, pretty much the same as "Irish people think Americans are crazy & EAT too much".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think the Irish government is to blame for this, as well as everything else. People see cheap drink in most other countries, and buy it by the bucket-load, to make up for having to restrain themselves here because it costs so feckin much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Fuck the lot of them, shower of cunts going over there anyway. Spoilt rich bastards spending their summer on a piss up with copious amounts of weed. While the rest of us work our holes off on whatever God forsaken job is available to pay for the next year in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

All mentioned above are absolutely true. Puke and piss everywhere on the road. Thats so disgusting. The people think they are great. And when its about complaining they can won a gold medal. They complain about every little thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Theres more Irish in America then in Ireland.A pretty good start though
    Don't forget most of them all illegal. They should be deported.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement