Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice-cream Man taking photos of kids in Trim

Options
  • 07-08-2010 6:46pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right I know there's a **** load of these scaremongering threads floating around on Facebook etc at the moment but I happen to know for a fact that this happened.

Friends of mine have a 9 year old daughter who came in from playing last week with an ice-cream which she hadn't been given money for, when asked where she got it she said the ice-cream man gave it to her and had taken her photo..

The following night her father, understandably concerned, went out with her to approach him and when he saw them coming he drove off and has not been back on that road since..

Apparently he travels with female companion in the van all the time.. the Gardai are investigating this but without a reg number etc they haven't had much luck yet.

Has this happened to anyone else in the area? Or indeed anywhere else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

Let me get this straight The ice cream man offered her an Ice cream in exchange for her photo. Id be very concerned aswell Id e-mail it into the chronicle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Never mind that, report it to the guards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Never mind that, report it to the guards.

xzanti wrote: »
    the Gardai are investigating this but without a reg number etc they haven't had much luck yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

Guards yes of course but the Mammys and Daddys of Trim should be warned they/we are on the frontline against scum like this....thanks for the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Just a heads up. Apparently an incident happened in an estate in Navan three weeks ago. A man and a women tried to entice a four year old into a car with some sweets. Don't know if there is a link because again a couple was mentioned.

Gardai are investigating but didn't get the car details

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why doesn't anyone ever manage to get a number?, of an Ice-Cream van that was around often and which was approached by a concerned citizen?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

mike65 wrote: »
    Why doesn't anyone ever manage to get a number?, of an Ice-Cream van that was around often and which was approached by a concerned citizen?.

or a quick pic on their camera phone of the van with reg.
    If I see anything sus in my area, I always take a pic - good practice imho.;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

mike65 wrote: »

Yeah would have been ideal only he skirted off so quickly when the dad tried to approach, they have been watching out for him ever since, so have the neighbours..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

What type of van was it, Merc, Ford? Colour?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Poly wrote: »
    What type of van was it, Merc, Ford? Colour?

It's an ice-cream van.. I'd imagine it look something like this

icecreamvan1.jpg

He didn't get close enough to get a reg, so I think it's safe to assume he didn't get the make and model ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Talk to the HSE too - ice cream van's are meant to have a HSE hygiene cert; not that I would imagine this guy has, but worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

xzanti wrote: »
    It's an ice-cream van.. I'd imagine it look something like this

icecreamvan1.jpg

He didn't get close enough to get a reg, so I think it's safe to assume he didn't get the make and model ;)

What colour was it? mainly Blue or red?
    From this pic, I can tell that the van is a Merc, without seeing the reg.

I have had words with several of the Ice Cream Vans that work in Trim, mainly because they park right outside my house with music blaring and wake my baby.
    So I can now identify most of the vans that work in Trim. I have their Reg numbers too, because I told them if they persist with the noise I will report them to the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cherryfizz

When I was driving between Kilcock and Summerhill I spotted an ice cream van going into what I would say a dodgy place and I remember thinking what is he doing going down there. I wouldnt have coped him only for I could see him from a distance turning down into the spot and I was coming from the opposite direction. However I am not from Meath so I dont know if this spot is a regular place for people to stop off. Its hard for me to describe it would be on the left coming from Kilcock and its not a lay by but it looked like a turnoff into an area that maybe was once part of an old road or something but it doesnt go anywhere anymore and seemed a grassy area! Closer to Summerhill than Kilcock! As I said maybe its a spot people stop off to take a break but I did think strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Cherryfizz wrote: »
    When I was driving between Kilcock and Summerhill I spotted an ice cream van going into what I would say a dodgy place and I remember thinking what is he doing going down there. I wouldnt have coped him only for I could see him from a distance turning down into the spot and I was coming from the opposite direction. However I am not from Meath so I dont know if this spot is a regular place for people to stop off. Its hard for me to describe it would be on the left coming from Kilcock and its not a lay by but it looked like a turnoff into an area that maybe was once part of an old road or something but it doesnt go anywhere anymore and seemed a grassy area! Closer to Summerhill than Kilcock! As I said maybe its a spot people stop off to take a break but I did think strange!
    Is this at the bottom of a long decline (hill)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Cherryfizz wrote: »

omg that is so odd, i seen that as well! the first thing that popped into my head was this thread and i actually considered turning the car around and going in to have a look, but then i thought "get a grip!"

i do recognise that particular ice cream van from doing the rounds here in the village, so i doubt there was anything cynical going on.

where he pulled in is the entrance to the woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mealltach

how many icecream vans are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Don't mean to annoy anyone her but is this not just very urban mythish, garda couldn't investigate cos they don't have a reg? It's an ice cream van, how many of them are there?

I've 3 girls under age of 7 and my wife and I are very dutiful observant parents. a ten year old lives nex door who calls in a lot, 2 weeks ago she told me a girl who knows her friend was asked by the ice cream man in Ashbourne if he wanted to see how the ice cream was made in the van and she'd get a free ice cream but she didn't go in.
    When I pressed her she didn't know who the girl was, when her friend was there at the weekend turns out she didn't know the girl either but it was a friend of a friend of hers but all the kids have heard this so they won't go near the ice cream truck.
    If you're concerned ring the Garda and ask them have they had any reports of this type of activity. I did. They hadn't. don't let an innocent mans business be affected by rumours and teach kids not to accept anything from any stranger. No brainer.

Id write to the paper about the behaviour of the Garda if they said they couldn't investigate an ice cream truck in a rural town.

Advertisement