Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the doomiest and gloomiest metal track you know of?

Options
  • 07-08-2010 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭

I don't usually do doom and gloom but now and again I like to put on the odd doom metal track. For me the doomiest track is Electric Funeral by Black Sabbath followed by Hardening of the Arteries by Slayer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Everything by My Dying Bride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Aye, Electric Funeral by Sabbath would be a good one but you should check out Black Sabbath by them off their first album. That would be one of the first in that genre actually.

Also, not really sure if this would be doom or stoner metal, but either way you should try Dopesmoker by Sleep. I think it is their third or fourth album, but is just one track that is just over an hour long. Filled with slow, fussy, strung out riffs and flowing drums. It's really something if you have the patience to get through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Bloody Kisses by Type O Negative
    The Apocalypse Machine - Mourning Beloveth
    Solitude by both Sabbath and Candlemass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

CHOON BAH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I second the mention of my dying bride but as for the doomiest/gloomiest metal i actually listen to & enjoy, that would probably by some of the stuff off Primordial's The Gathering Wilderness like the title track & the coffin ships.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It just doesn't get much gloomier than My Dying Bride. And I find them very enjoyable too. Type O are good for gloom, certainly in the lyrical department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Funeral doom bands like Ahab, Ea, Evoken and Esoteric are able to suck the life out of a room. Deliciously gloomy and doomy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Everything by My Dying Bride.

man they are depressing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Funeral doom bands like Ahab, Ea, Evoken and Esoteric are able to suck the life out of a room. Deliciously gloomy and doomy :)

I know them, and it's just awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

It would have to be a cover of the Sound of Silence by Nevermore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

man they are depressing

I remember hearing John Kenny talking about a review he had read about them in concert,Im probably ad libbing a wee bit but the crux of it was
    After seeing most metal bands in concert you feel like going home and killing your parents,after seeing My Dying Bride you feel like going home and killing yourself.

Sums them up pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Yeah, Esoteric are grim as f**k.

The Angel and The Dark River era My Dying Bride were miserable as well....in a good way of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Warning - Watching From a Distance, the entire album is bleak as f*ck. Brilliant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

You wanna check out Grief
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grief_(band)

Candlemass of course need a mention and what about Paradise Lost

R

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Had a listen to Esoteric, I think they hit the sublime/transcendent in complete and total gloom. Sunn O are quite gloomy aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

esoteric are deadly! sunn O aren't really that gloomy (maybe their newest album), moreso very droney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not sure if this fits, more hardcore than metal i guess, if you care about genre, but always gives me a nice doom and gloom trip. Must check out some of their newer stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

esoteric are deadly! sunn O aren't really that gloomy (maybe their newest album), moreso very droney.

Esoteric are really intense, they're making the kind of music I think needs to be more recognized in the respect that they sound completely different to whats out there, really innovative and taking music in a new direction and its pretty true to itself. The sheer intensity makes it exhausting to listen to after while. This song is incredible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Warning - Watching From a Distance, the entire album is bleak as f*ck. Brilliant though.

Agree on every account, Watching from a distance is 12 minutes or so of sheer depression, such a brilliant song. The whole album is great too, the next track, Footprints has some especially great bits too, the whole second vocal section ending with "shivering and naked, in your winter light" is just unreal.

Also going to give a +1 for Mourning Beloveth, especially the Sullen Sulcus album, it's fairly bleak from start to finish, highlight in my opinion being "It almost looked human". Their new album, "A Disease for the Ages" is also worth a look, especially the opening track.

Going to give a wee mention to Decayor aswell, some great stuff off their EP, and a great live band too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Wreck of the Hesperus - an Irish band that are as manky and miserable as you could ask for - especially live.

Esoteric are an experience to see live - they played last year in Fibbers as the Dublin Doom Day and it there aren't words for how amazing it was.

No one's mentioned YOB who I finally got to see, twice, at the Roadburn festival this year. Well worth the wait. Their latest album (The Great Cessation) has an opening track that I think is possibly the best Doom metal track I've ever heard called Burning The Altar.

Finally, for now, I have a demo of a band by the name of Senthil which is called Crypticorifislit and it's 26 minutes of disturbing, horrid noise. I've been looking for more of their stuff, but haven't had a lot of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

Burning Witch, top notch miserabilists.

Not to forget our own Mourning Beloveth.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Cathedrals early stuff was very very slow and doomy

Advertisement