Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland V James Milner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Milner
    Augmerson wrote: »
    If he was actually good he would be, simply as man.
    But Milner's isn't as good as he's made out to be, he's actually quite limited, as are all English players (see World Cup again). If he was any other nationality there wouldn't be nearly as much fuss made about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

grenache wrote: »
    But Milner's isn't as good as he's made out to be, he's actually quite limited, as are all English players (see World Cup again). If he was any other nationality there wouldn't be nearly as much fuss made about him.

While you have a point here, if Ireland was not Irish, the vote would be a lot closer imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Milner is the better player all round. Not worth 20-30 million but he is still a better player.

Ireland has quality but he will never excell at the highest level as he just doesn't have the character. He doesn't react positively to set backs. He has fallen out with every manager he has played under.Kerr, Stan, Sven, Hughes, Mancini. He has extremely questionable character and needs a team that will accomodate him rather than being a player who can fit into various systems. And he is not good enough to have a really big side build a team around him.

Milner is more creative than people give him credit for. Damn fine player who has got stick because City are going to pay more for him than he is worth. He is a good pro who will improve more with experience too.

Ireland will move somewhere else and mark my words he will kick up a stink there too when things don't go his way. Dare I say it he could end up in the lower leagues if his next move isn't a shrewd one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

eagle eye wrote: »
    How are you deciding the player's worth? What are you comparing it to?

Ah right, I see. He's English, add £10-15m to what I think he's worth so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

First part of this video:

Milner is probably better right now, but Ireland's potential upside is eye watering. Milner's isn't.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It baffles me that a club with City's resources and ambitions would give an average player (in world terms, where Xavi or Ronaldo are at the top end) like Milner a second look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It baffles me that a club with City's resources and ambitions would give an average player (in world terms, where Xavi or Ronaldo are at the top end) like Milner a second look.
    I'd liken James Milner to Wesley Sneijder, he doesn't have the free kick prowess of Sneijder but he is more versatile in that he can play the attacking midfield role and on either wing to a very, very high standard too. He is nothing like Gareth Barry at all who is more a holding midfielder with good tackling ability and decent passing. Milner works hard but he is not a good tackler, he is more creative though.

You have to take into consideration when you want to buy a player from a rival English club is that you are buying one of their best players and this is going to weaken them and strengthen your team or thats how its going to be perceived anyways. This is going to mean you pay more money for the player than if you are looking to purchase from abroad. The fact that he is an England International is going to add some to the price as well.

You have to take into consideration when you want to buy a player from a rival English club is that you are buying one of their best players and this is going to weaken them and strengthen your team or thats how its going to be perceived anyways. This is going to mean you pay more money for the player than if you are looking to purchase from abroad. The fact that he is an England International is going to add some to the price as well.

If it were any other club I would understand that, but City have to stop looking at the likes of Villa as their rivals. The price is really of no consequence - if he cost 5 million or 50 million I think City could do much better. I suppose I haven't seen an awful lot of Milner but I wouldn't put him anywhere near the leve of Sneijder on what I have seen. He was anonymous for England and has no CL experience AFAIK and has never won anything.

He could turn out to be a very special player and I would understand a lot of other clubs buying him, but he just seems like another in a line of pointless purchases by City. I still can't figure out why the bought Barry, Touré or Santa Cruz. Fair enough, they'll never get Messi to join them, but after the Robinho signing I thought they were setting a benchmark for the level of player they were targetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

If it were any other club I would understand that, but City have to stop looking at the likes of Villa as their rivals. The price is really of no consequence - if he cost 5 million or 50 million I think City could do much better. I suppose I haven't seen an awful lot of Milner but I wouldn't put him anywhere near the leve of Sneijder on what I have seen. He was anonymous for England and has no CL experience AFAIK and has never won anything.

He could turn out to be a very special player and I would understand a lot of other clubs buying him, but he just seems like another in a line of pointless purchases by City. I still can't figure out why the bought Barry, Touré or Santa Cruz. Fair enough, they'll never get Messi to join them, but after the Robinho signing I thought they were setting a benchmark for the level of player they were targetting.

Until City qualify for the CL on a regular basis, then Villa still are rivals of theirs. Last season'e league table suggests there wasn't that much between the two clubs last season in all fairness. I think Toure, Santa Cruz and Barry were the best they could get in the position they were last Summer, but you will soon see them discarded as (Lescott as well) as the move up the table and their ambitions are adjusted upwards accordingly.

There will be a massive turover of players both in and out of City over the next few years as they become more established.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I don't think there's an awful lot between Milner and Ireland, so idea of Man City paying £16m + Ireland for Milner has left me a bit baffled.

That being said, I think Ireland can be a potential cancer within any dressing room, so I don't think an awful lot of his character,

So in sum, I'm indifferent to the potential fee, I don't think anyone is getting a hugely better deal than the other.

Well you have to remember that Hughes brought in Barry, Toure and Santa Cruz along with a bunch of other players.

This is Mancini's first summer window at City, all he brought in was Adam Johnson and Patrick Viera in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I don't think there's an awful lot between Milner and Ireland, so idea of Man City paying £16m + Ireland for Milner has left me a bit baffled.

That being said, I think Ireland can be a potential cancer within any dressing room, so I don't think an awful lot of his character,

So in sum, I'm indifferent to the potential fee, I don't think anyone is getting a hugely better deal than the other.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why?

He never takes personal responsibility such as for his form and will go talking to the papers at the drop of the hat. He also shows no loyalty whatsoever, this is indicated by sticking the knife into Mark Hughes after he got sacked, the man who had him playing the best football of his career to date.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    He never takes personal responsibility such as for his form and will go talking to the papers at the drop of the hat. He also shows no loyalty whatsoever, this is indicated by sticking the knife into Mark Hughes after he got sacked, the man who had him playing the best football of his career to date.

Ireland is loyal to the club that pays his wages and that he is contracted to. He has never said he wants to leave and has been extremely professional in his behaviour when speaking to the media about the club. Mark Hughes was one man, and is gone. Ireland does what's best for the club and his attitude is one thing that has never been questionable.

To say he is a potential cancer is complete bullshit, to put it bluntly.

Ireland is loyal to the club that pays his wages and that he is contracted to. He has never said he wants to leave and has been extremely professional in his behaviour when speaking to the media about the club. Mark Hughes was one man, and is gone. Ireland does what's best for the club and his attitude is one thing that has never been questionable.

To say he is a potential cancer is complete bullshit, to put it bluntly.
    Hang on now.

As said he stuck the knife in Hughes, he fell out with Brian Kerr, he took off from the Irish team and lied about why.

You would have to be concerned about him if you were manager of another club.

• Advertisement

Hang on now.

As said he stuck the knife in Hughes, he fell out with Brian Kerr, he took off from the Irish team and lied about why.

You would have to be concerned about him if you were manager of another club.

If you were a manger of a club you would be delighted at his dedication to club football.

Two of those incidents you've listed were at international level, one of which occurred when he was 16 or so. Football fans do have long memories when they want to I suppose.

As for the Hughes 'bashing', they were nothing but throw away comments and are certainly not enough to overshadow the hard work he puts in on a daily basis to strive to be the best player he can be.

If you were a manger of a club you would be delighted at his dedication to club football.

Two of those incidents you've listed were at international level, one of which occurred when he was 16 or so. Football fans do have long memories when they want to I suppose.

As for the Hughes 'bashing', they were nothing but throw away comments and are certainly not enough to overshadow the hard work he puts in on a daily basis to strive to be the best player he can be.
    Look its fine being being a dedicated footballer at one particular club. You have to wonder though why Mancini is so willing to let him go. His problems with managers not known to have problems with players, his comments, his actions in the past would lead anybody to believe that he is not right in the head.
    He has been loved at Manchester City but who knows what will happen when he moves to a new club, a new manager and a new group of fans who might take time to warm to him.

I'm not saying he is going to be trouble, its just that all that has happened in a couple of years would lead one to be concerned about his character and ability to get on with others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

If i had to choose id pick Ireland. Milner runs hot and cold

Sorry, this made me laugh.

Look its fine being being a dedicated footballer at one particular club. You have to wonder though why Mancini is so willing to let him go. His problems with managers not known to have problems with players, his comments, his actions in the past would lead anybody to believe that he is not right in the head.
    He has been loved at Manchester City but who knows what will happen when he moves to a new club, a new manager and a new group of fans who might take time to warm to him.

I think the problem is that Mancini is not one to play with an Ireland-type player in the middle of the park. He very much favours two defensive minded midfielders in the centre, which is why Vieira is still at the club and why we saw combinations like De Jong/Barry, Vieira/Barry and De Jong/Vieira regularly from January with two strikers and two attacking wingers.

Ireland simply doesn't fit the dynamics of a Mancini team.
    I'm not saying he is going to be trouble, its just that all that has happened in a couple of years would lead one to be concerned about his character and ability to get on with others.

I know you're not saying he will be trouble. He was however called a potential cancer by someone else which is the post I queried.

He would be a superb signing for Villa or any other Premiership club imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

A little surprised at some of the comments on here - only a little mind.

For me there is no doubt who is currently the better player - there is not point giving it the whole "ifs and buts" argument with regards Ireland as Milner has just had an outstanding all-action season and the Cork man has one of injuries and bit part performances.

I don't see the cap on Milner's potential that some on here do but at the same time I do think Ireland could have a little more technical savy about him.

That said, Milner will do every job on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Milner
    I agree with that!

There's no question that Milner is a good player, but there's no way that he's £24 million good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Xavi and any City fan, what are your taughts on the deal?

Is Milner really needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I ponder how well Milner will get on at playing predominantly as a winger again at Man City, he was decent enough playing for Villa in that role in previous years but it was in CM where he had a great season and really proved his worth.

As for Ireland, i haven't seen enough of him in comparison to Milner but i believe replacing a winger who plays in midfield for an actual bona fida CM talent will improve our midfield no end, a part of the Villa team which was prone to being anonymous and one dimensional at times last season, and the season before.

It's jarring to see Milner to so abruptly up sticks and ship out but Ireland + lots of transfer cash is about as win win as you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Isn't City's centre mid position a little workman like without the Ireland option?

flahavaj wrote: »
    Until City qualify for the CL on a regular basis, then Villa still are rivals of theirs. Last season'e league table suggests there wasn't that much between the two clubs last season in all fairness. I think Toure, Santa Cruz and Barry were the best they could get in the position they were last Summer, but you will soon see them discarded as (Lescott as well) as the move up the table and their ambitions are adjusted upwards accordingly.

There will be a massive turover of players both in and out of City over the next few years as they become more established.

They didn't really improve at all last year, partly due to the calibre of players they brought in and partly due to a lack of cohesion. It's a bit of a vicious circle but if they keep buying the likes of Barry and Milner - players the top teams do not want - they're not going to challenge any time soon. IMO, they need to land a few quality players at once. As a top layer I'd be more inclined to consider City if I knew they were bringing in quality players alongside me. The cash would probably help too.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Xavi and any City fan, what are your taughts on the deal?

Is Milner really needed?

Is any player really needed with the squad the way it is?

He'd be a superb addition to most teams, and the same goes for Ireland, but I'm not sure if there really is a place for either in the first eleven.

Our starting line up yesterday gave an indication of the way we will look on the opening day, and it really is a mouth watering prospect.

Hart

Boateng
    Richards
    Kompany
    Kolorov

Yaya
    De Jong
    Barry

Silva

Tevez
    Adebayor

I expect a slight variation of that with maybe SWP or A. Johnson in to offer additional width in place of Barry or De Jong, and Kolo and Given will probably play instead of Richards and Hart. Where do you fit a Stephen Ireland or a James Milner?

I guess the way I'm looking at it is we won't lose much from selling Ireland and we won't gain much by keeping him. The same applies to Milner.

They didn't really improve at all last year, partly due to the calibre of players they brought in and partly due to a lack of cohesion. It's a bit of a vicious circle but if they keep buying the likes of Barry and Milner - players the top teams do not want - they're not going to challenge any time soon. IMO, they need to land a few quality players at once. As a top layer I'd be more inclined to consider City if I knew they were bringing in quality players alongside me. The cash would probably help too.

City definitely improved last year, they became much more difficult to best (lost only 7 games in total - only the champions lost less) and were in the hunt for the CL up until the 3rd last game of the season. They finished 10th in 2008/9 and finished 5th in 2009/10. Their points total was 67 in 2009/10, only 50 in 2008/9. They conceded far more and scored far lessin 2008/9.

By pretty much every criterion possible they improved last season - I have no idea how you can say otherwise. The facts speak for themselves.

It feels dirty to be standing up for City, but to say they're not getting better is ludicrous.

For me their signings this Summer are a step up in class again compared to lst year. Toure and Silva are pretty big transfer coups that were coveted by a lot of clubs across Europe. They are improving, attracting better players and doing so very very fast. You might think Milner as a stand alone signing isn't up to scratch - fair enough, but to say its part of an overall trend of not getting better and not signing good enough players is plain wrong.

He'd be a superb addition to most teams, and the same goes for Ireland, but I'm not sure if there really is a place for either in the first eleven.

Our starting line up yesterday gave an indication of the way we will look on the opening day, and it really is a mouth watering prospect.

Hart

Boateng
    Richards
    Kompany
    Kolorov

Yaya
    De Jong
    Barry

Silva

Tevez
    Adebayor

I expect a slight variation of that with maybe SWP or A. Johnson in to offer additional width in place of Barry or De Jong, and Kolo and Given will probably play instead of Richards and Hart. Where do you fit a Stephen Ireland or a James Milner?

I guess the way I'm looking at it is we won't lose much from selling Ireland and we won't gain much by keeping him. The same applies to Milner.

Ye looked very very impressive yesterday I have to say. If it was down to me I'd play Milner instead of Barry in that team, take Adebayor out and play Johnsen and Sliva as wide men supporting Tevez up top.

I still think another top quality centre back is needed beside Kompamy to really complete the team, I don't really think Richards, Toure or Lescott are top notch.

Given

Boateng----AN OTHER----Kompany--Kolarov

De Jong

Milner
    Toure

Johnsen
    Silva

Tevez

Looks like a team that could challenge for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Unlucky Barry, looks like the bench is beckoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

JPA wrote: »

He can have no complaints given his form last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

JPA wrote: »

He'll have plenty of cushioning with his pay packet tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Milner
    noodler wrote: »
    I don't see the cap on Milner's potential that some on here do but at the same time I do think Ireland could have a little more technical savy about him.

Ireland has far better technique than Milner imo. I can't get over how much that aspect of his game is underrated.

Hart

Boateng
    Richards
    Kompany
    Kolorov

Yaya
    De Jong
    Barry

Silva

Tevez
    Adebayor

I'd be playing Ireland in place of de Jong. I'd be looking at it in the mold of the 442 centre midfield pairings that United usually use in the league for most games, with a team going out to attack. I know it's awful attacking but that's what's required to win the PL, which is what City want to be aiming at soon. Maybe for the coming season it would be too adventurous and risky but that's the type of midfield you need to be phasing in sooner or later. And Ireland is perfect for that.

As flah says, I'd also be looking for one really top quality centre back to make that back four more self sufficient.

The way Mancini is currently going he's never going to win the Prem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I have to wonder about the comments regarding Stephen Ireland being bad for the dressing room. I mean, without defending him cos he comes across as a bit of a pratt, I would've thought he's a textbook Pro footballer. High on ego, low on intelligence. No different than Terry, Rooney et al.

Milner is very much the exception to the rule in that he's a workhorse and model pro, the rest are hardly candidates for mensa ffs.

Just strange that people keep alluding to that side of Ireland's game, I suspect this has its roots in his refusal to play for his country which made him public enemy number 1 on this island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Savman wrote: »
    I have to wonder about the comments regarding Stephen Ireland being bad for the dressing room. I mean, without defending him cos he comes across as a bit of a pratt, I would've thought he's a textbook Pro footballer. High on ego, low on intelligence. No different than Terry, Rooney et al.

Milner is very much the exception to the rule in that he's a workhorse and model pro, the rest are hardly candidates for mensa ffs.

Just strange that people keep alluding to that side of Ireland's game, I suspect this has its roots in his refusal to play for his country which made him public enemy number 1 on this island.
    Ah there are a few more incidents than that, which make him a bit worse than your typical footballer in behavioural terms. Superman for one. His bebo thing as another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

CSF wrote: »
    Ah there are a few more incidents than that, which make him a bit worse than your typical footballer in behavioural terms. Superman for one. His bebo thing as another.

no incidents on the pitch though

Helix wrote: »
    no incidents on the pitch though
    Superman.

Heh...I was actually at that game.

I'm merely highlighting how selective some folks memory is, nobody talking about the winning goal he just scored, only the tacky underpants.

I've no choice but to try understand this guy, it looks like a certainty he'll be in Villa colours next season so I'm just getting my oar in now :o

btw I haven't voted in the poll as it's too close to call IMHO. Milner edges it purely on form but like others have already said, there is nothing resembling a £16m gulf in class between the 2 players. Ireland would be class if he got his head together, whether that happens remains to be seen but you would think MON might be the best man for him.

'mon then Stephen, win me over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Superman.

A funny celebration is bad for the dressing room?

Liam O wrote: »
    A funny celebration is bad for the dressing room?
    Pulling your cacks off in front of tens of thousands of people? It certainly brings the level of professionalism down anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Milner
    For me, its comparing apples and oranges.

I find it silly that Man City rather sign players and ignore their youth products who are just as good/going to be as good. I know City want to force their progression but they should be sticking with the likes of Hart and Ireland over the likes of Given and Milner.

Given is the best keeper in the league imo but Hart is good and potentially could become as good as Given imo

Easy to find workhorse players, hard to find those that can create something from nothing so I'd have Ireland. Aston Villa potentially getting another bargain of the season from Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Milner
    It annoys me when they say Ireland has a bad attitude. He has done nothing bar the Ireland thing which is gone and should be forgotten about but begrudges still seem to hate him.

The Superman celebration? Really? A bloke having a laugh and the players having a laugh with him is bad for a team?

The Bebo thing again he was young and that has to do with his proffesional rep how?

Savman (Sorry to pick you out as your not the only one) you say he needs to get his head straight, he hasn't done anything wrong in about 3/4 years how else can he show he is not a bit mad. Well he is a bit mad, all footballers are but he isn't as bad as people like to make out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

If i was O'neill I'd take the money and ireland and run
    Milner has been a great player for us last season but we need to sell to buy

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Savman (Sorry to pick you out as your not the only one) you say he needs to get his head straight, he hasn't done anything wrong in about 3/4 years how else can he show he is not a bit mad. Well he is a bit mad, all footballers are but he isn't as bad as people like to make out.
    :confused:
    If you actually read my posts, I haven't been giving him a hard time, quite the opposite in fact.

But seeing as you singled me out let me clarify: refusing to play for Rep of Ireland team turned me off him as a player. To add insult to injury, his presence is sorely missed in the Irish team IMHO, so take that as a compliment to his footballing ability.

That's the main reason I couldn't give him the time of day, I don't care for what underpants the guy wears ffs.

If he becomes a Villa player, I shall be appeased. How's that for the duality of a football fan, I've cursed the player many a time but when I find out he's signing for my team, his flaws automatically become human :D

Funny old game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Milner
    If Stephen ireland was English (Steven England anyone?) I'm sure he'd be lauded as the best young midfield player of his generation.
    Being Irish will always be a handicap for even the best of footballers.

Glazers Out!

Milner is the better player all round. Not worth 20-30 million but he is still a better player.

Ireland has quality but he will never excell at the highest level as he just doesn't have the character. He doesn't react positively to set backs. He has fallen out with every manager he has played under.Kerr, Stan, Sven, Hughes, Mancini. He has extremely questionable character and needs a team that will accomodate him rather than being a player who can fit into various systems. And he is not good enough to have a really big side build a team around him.

Milner is more creative than people give him credit for. Damn fine player who has got stick because City are going to pay more for him than he is worth. He is a good pro who will improve more with experience too.

Ireland will move somewhere else and mark my words he will kick up a stink there too when things don't go his way. Dare I say it he could end up in the lower leagues if his next move isn't a shrewd one. And thats not knocking his talent, he has fantastic ability but the lower leagues are littered with players who could have been stars only for their inability to bounce back from set backs. Mental strength is a key asset to play at the top consistently and Stephen Ireland is lacking.

• Advertisement

Milner
    When did he ever have a row with Kerr, Stan, Sven or Hughes? I think he had a little row with Kerr at underage level nothing major. Never had a row with Stan, never had a row with Sven and never had a row with Hughes. Just cause its said in the media dosn't make it true, but don't let facts get in the way of your point.

Even Mancini he never had a row with Mancini they had the same discussion any player not getting his game would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Milner
    I'd liken James Milner to Wesley Sneijder, he doesn't have the free kick prowess of Sneijder but he is more versatile in that he can play the attacking midfield role and on either wing to a very, very high standard too. He is nothing like Gareth Barry at all who is more a holding midfielder with good tackling ability and decent passing. Milner works hard but he is not a good tackler, he is more creative though.

Milner is not remotely like Sneijder. Milner is a workhorse with a good engine. Ireland is more like Sniejder as they are both creative players with good technique. Obviously Sneijder is much better but they are similar players with similar styles of play. Ireland has a great eye for a pass and has a great knack at retaining the ball.

Milner moving to City with Ireland going the other way improves Villa and gives them money to improve even more.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    When did he ever have a row with Kerr, Stan, Sven or Hughes? I think he had a little row with Kerr at underage level nothing major. Never had a row with Stan, never had a row with Sven and never had a row with Hughes. Just cause its said in the media dosn't make it true, but don't let facts get in the way of your point.

Even Mancini he never had a row with Mancini they had the same discussion any player not getting his game would have.

Ireland has slated Trap, he has slated Sven and Mark Hughes in the press. He praised Hughes saying he was a better manager than Sven, he praised Mancini saying he was a better manager than Hughes. And if he is around long enough he will have a popl at Mancini in the press if he is replaced.

I think it is pretty well known in premiership circles that Ireland has a questionable mentality. He has quality in spades for sure but his mental strength is not one of them. Simple fact is he does not respond well to set backs.

If top players are left out of the team they make a statement on the field when they get their chance to impress again, be it in training or in games. Ireland has not done this.

Milner is not remotely like Sneijder. Milner is a workhorse with a good engine. Ireland is more like Sniejder as they are both creative players with good technique. Obviously Sneijder is much better but they are similar players with similar styles of play. Ireland has a great eye for a pass and has a great knack at retaining the ball.

Milner moving to City with Ireland going the other way improves Villa and gives them money to improve even more.

What lets Ireland down is that he isn't flexible to different systems. He is effective in a diamond formation playing at the front, or else through the centre of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1. He is not effective out wide and has not yet gained maturity in playing as part of a central 2. He really does need to find a club that will build the side around him in his favoured position.

Milner is not as gifted a player technically, but he does have some creativity, he can play various roles in various different systems.

Ireland was probably born a great player but Milner is well on his way to becoming one through his hard work.

Milner
    Jayob10 wrote: »
    I think it is pretty well known in premiership circles that Ireland has a questionable mentality.

You know this for a fact cause you are in these "Premiership Circles"?

I disagree completly, if you are to take the press's word Rooney has given out about every manager, Gerrard has etc its newspapers.

When he was left out of the squad and just getting into the squad he trained extra during the summer to keep his fitness and get stronger. How is that not reacting to set backs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement