Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland V James Milner

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Milner
    curry-muff wrote: »
    Thats the one thing I hate about this forum, Milner is better than Ireland by a country mile, because he is Irish, Ireland wins this poll.
    Oh yes, this forum is a massive love in for Stephen Ireland, most of the posters on here would be willing to have Stephen Ireland's babies.

Cop on, even English managers and pundits say Shay Given is one of the best Goalkeepers in the Premiership. As for the difference between Ireland and Milner its minimal at best. I think Ireland is better and obviously many others do and that has nothing to do with him being Irish.

One thing I hate about this forum is people talking sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Milner
    noodler wrote: »
    Christ. McGeady is an Excellent player in the SPL - not an average one.

We've all seen his shortcomings at international level and have doubts about him kicking onto a higher level but lets not ourtight lie here.

I did not say he was average in the SPL...I said he was an average player who played in the SPL. Big difference. He does OK up there but that does not mean he is not an average player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Milner
    Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Oh yes, this forum is a massive love in for Stephen Ireland, most of the posters on here would be willing to have Stephen Ireland's babies.

Cop on, even English managers and pundits say Shay Given is one of the best Goalkeepers in the Premiership. As for the difference between Ireland and Milner its minimal at best. I think Ireland is better and obviously many others do and that has nothing to do with him being Irish.

Agree big time with everything you say especially about Given.

I actually dread Stephen Ireland because of his situation with the national team. Him being Irish is actually a major reason why many here will not like him. If he refused to play for Bulgaria, he would not get the same bile as he now does. Lets not pretend that Stephen Ireland is overly liked in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Im not saying there is, im just pointing out that every time Paddy Irishman comes up against Paddy Englishman, theres a landslide victory in favour of Paddy Irishman.

Not once have I said Given isn't a top keeper, just that at the time of the poll in question, there were many better options than him, eg Van der Sar, Reina and Cech all on the back of great seasons.

Take my post however you want but im not going to sit and humour you every time you throw your toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Im not saying there is, im just pointing out that every time Paddy Irishman comes up against Paddy Englishman, theres a landslide victory in favour of Paddy Irishman.

Not once have I said Given isn't a top keeper, just that at the time of the poll in question, there were many better options than him, eg Van der Sar, Reina and Cech all on the back of great seasons.

Take my post however you want but im not going to sit and humour you every time you throw your toys out of the pram.

Not so sure about Cech.

I'd prefer Reina to Given but I can be accused of double bias there.

I'd love if he went to Arsenal. Get to see him play in a good defense ala with Ireland and then we can put the "only good cos he has loads to do" argument to rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Not so sure about Cech.

I'd love if he went to Arsenal. Get to see him play in a good defense ala with Ireland and then we can put the "only good cos he has loads to do" argument to rest.

The jury is out on whether this current Arsenal defence is a good defence yet. They need a top centre half to partner Vermaelen for me and their full backs to return to the form they showed earlier in their Arsenal careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Not so sure about Cech.

Reina's the best keeper in the Premiership, no ifs or bits about it - (and you can't accuse me of bias there) and a far more attractive prospect than Given when you consider their ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

flahavaj wrote: »
    The jury is out on whether this current Arsenal defence is a good defence yet. They need a top centre half to partner Vermaelen for me and their full backs to return to the form they showed earlier in their Arsenal careers.

See I think we need to thread carefully here. Its always been good enough for a top 4 finish.

You can argue til the cows come home as to how much is to do with the fact Arsenal are just plain better in attack and hence don't come under as much pressure but I think Given's clean sheets would increas hugely under a Wenger team.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Reina's the best keeper in the Premiership, no ifs or bits about it - (and you can't accuse me of bias there) and a far more attractive prospect than Given when you consider their ages.

Yeah.

Milner

When did I throw my toys out of the pram? I just used the same condescending style of posting that you did so if you want to go down that route you have to point the finger at yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Irish player in winning a poll against an English player on boards.ie shocker :eek:

Milner's the better player.

• Advertisement

Milner
    Irish player somehow being better than English player shocker :eek:

In your opinion Milner's better, in more people's opinion Ireland is better. Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

I think Milner is a better player overall. His work rate is certainly better.

Although Milner is very good at tracking back, on the ball and picking a pass, I think Ireland has a little more class about him when the ball is at his feet and he can look up.

I dont want to see Milner leave, but it would be a hard deal to turn down if MC are only rating Ireland at 8 Million and handing over 16-20 million with him.

Advertisement